News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

removing only this part of the dash (on a 68)?

Started by Loa, July 13, 2019, 01:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loa

Hello,

If I want to remove only this part of the dash (see picture), do I need to remove the entire dash?

Thanks.

A383Wing

that is the dash pad.....it's held into the dash frame with nuts from the back....you will probably need to remove the instrument cluster, the radio, and the glove box liner to access the nuts

Bryan

Loa

Thanks! I was beginning to think that it was glued there. I'll look for the nuts.

green69rt

Quote from: Loa on July 13, 2019, 03:20:39 PM
Thanks! I was beginning to think that it was glued there. I'll look for the nuts.

There are six nuts, unless someone has changed things they will be Pal Nuts.  One each about one inch out from the heater control panel (take it loose to get to these two.)  The other four can be located by looking at the underside of the pad.  They set in "bumps" in the pad metal backing.  Good luck getting them off and on, you'll need a lot of extensions or fingers that are about 8 inches long!   :lol:

If you have not taken the A pillar fasia off, you may need to do that as the ends of the pad my be trapped under those pieces.  Most can just push that plastic out of the way enough to get the pad off.  Your picture doesn't show those pieces.

hemi68charger

You can do it with the dash frame in place, but you'll need to remove a LOT of components to gain access to the 6, I believe 3/8, nuts.. I 1/4 drive racket, socket and extension will be your friend...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

green69rt

I don't know how others on here will react to this but here goes.  I butchered up my dash just a little, just to make the pad easier to get off and on.  I'd heard too many stories about poor pads, bad fitting, etc.  So, I cut some small holes, about 1" X 2", under the front lip of my dash.  Went to Lowes and bought a small sheet of 22 gauge sheet steel, cut some pieces and painted them the same color as the dash (almost.)  Screwed the patches in place.  Now, whenever I want to take the pad off, the screws are easy to get off AND on.  If I didn't tell anybody about the patches nobody would know because they are not visible (except in the strong flash of my camera.)  Picture attached.  Sorry for the blur but you get the idea.