News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bulge On Inner Rear Wheel Arch

Started by JMF, June 08, 2019, 12:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

So I was measuring under the rear wheel arches for some new wheels and tires I will be buying and I notice on the inside of the arch just above the tire on the passenger side rear there is a slight bulge in the metal, not sure what would have caused this ? Maybe a previous accident years ago ? Problem is I think it's going to cause clearance problems when the new wheels/tires are fitted because i'm going with a taller tire than what's on there currently, is there any way of smoothing it out or knocking it back in without doing more damage ? Obviously I don't want to cause another bulge on the outer wheel arch, i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to bodywork issues so are the wheel arches double skinned ? The driver's side does have a little bit of one too but it's more of a crease so I don't think it will cause problems, sorry not a Charger, it's on my 70 Satellite, Many thanks

green69rt

Can you get a picture?  Can you see the bulge from inside the car?  Wheel wells are a single layer on you car.

JMF

Please see pic below, the bulge on the inner arch sticks out about 1 and a half

green69rt

If it's the part at the very top of the picture where it looks like the two layers of metal have separated, that looks like damage to me.  Just pound it back to a nice curve and repaint or undercoat.

Not entirely clear but it looks like the seam between the wheel well and the truck floor has opened up.  Can you see anything from inside the trunk?

kent

I agree with Mitch. Yeah look at the way the undercoating is cracked. Looks like something came up and hit right on that edge. Yep just take the wheel off and bang her back into shape and reapply some undercoating. Might want to check your seam sealer in the trunk to see if it's cracked and lifted of the floor.
Kent

JMF

Thanks but i'm talking about the bit in the inner wheel arch near the lip, it's not quite clear in the pic but there's a bulge there.

cdr

Quote from: JMF on June 10, 2019, 03:56:48 PM
Thanks but i'm talking about the bit in the inner wheel arch near the lip, it's not quite clear in the pic but there's a bulge there.

bulge is supposed to be there, picture of mine
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

IIRC that big obvious baseball-size dent on the wheelhousing makes clearance for the rear quarter window glass channel to swing down.

Kern Dog

Hmmmm..Imagine the "smart" guy that does not know that, then flattens it out for tire clearance. Months later a rear seat passenger tries to roll down the window and can't !

kent

Kent

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: cdr on June 10, 2019, 05:30:31 PM
Quote from: JMF on June 10, 2019, 03:56:48 PM

bulge is supposed to be there, picture of mine

Hey CDR, Have you fitted the quarter in place with your wheelhouse welded in ? I have a huge problem with  the  outter wheelhouse and quarter lining up.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser