News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Schuhmacher Torque Strap - Adequate replacement available?

Started by rollo1504, February 05, 2020, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Dear forum members,

I am in the search of a torque strap and was directed to the Schuhmacher torque strap.

Unfortunately it is always out of stock and after a while of recherche I figured out that Schuhmacher has problems since May 2019...

So I do not expect to be able to buy a torque strap from them....

Is there an adequate replacement part available?

I do NOT want to go with poly locs....

Thanks for suggestions/opinions

Roland

PS: I need one for my charger RT 440 big block

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Birdflu

Quote from: green69rt on February 05, 2020, 02:47:02 PM
Have you seen and considered this??

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.0.html

If a guy was to bolt the OE mount together in that respect, you may just as well run solid or poly mounts IMO... :yesnod:

b5blue

Per their web sight an issue with power steering interference forced a redesign. It looks to be simple enough to make your own?  :scratchchin: 

BSB67

Quote from: b5blue on February 07, 2020, 01:47:49 PM
Per their web sight an issue with power steering interference forced a redesign. It looks to be simple enough to make your own?  :scratchchin: 

The ratio of home made torque straps to purchased one's is probably 1000:1.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

rollo1504

Quote from: BSB67 on February 05, 2020, 06:48:49 PM
Just make one.

I am the guy who installs everything but no talent for "building" things.... :-)

:-)

BSB67

Hmmmm.  Interesting hobby you picked.   ;D

Kinda admire ya for that actually.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Probably never need it, it's mostly for those of us who beat the crap out our cars.  :2thumbs:

XH29N0G

I put in a solid mount on the driver's side.  I know not a torque strap, but an alternative to one.  I did a search online and saw some (mostly not our model) but do not have a good read on whether some are better than others.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: b5blue on February 13, 2020, 09:22:37 AM
Probably never need it, it's mostly for those of us who beat the crap out our cars.  :2thumbs:

Broke 2 stock mounts on a 300 hp 383, automatic, 2.76s.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: XH29N0G on February 13, 2020, 06:08:44 PM
I put in a solid mount on the driver's side.  I know not a torque strap, but an alternative to one.  I did a search online and saw some (mostly not our model) but do not have a good read on whether some are better than others.

I ran that way initially but didnt like that the driver side of the engine sat higher then the passenger.

XH29N0G

I also broke mounts on a 383 without too spirited driving.  c00nhunterjoe - are you running a torque strap now, all solids, or something else.  I also see the difference in height
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: XH29N0G on February 14, 2020, 08:30:34 PM
I also broke mounts on a 383 without too spirited driving.  c00nhunterjoe - are you running a torque strap now, all solids, or something else.  I also see the difference in height

I am running 2 solid motor mounts and a poly trans mount. No strap with an upper 600s hp big block on slicks. No issues.

Alaskan_TA

I run a solid mount on the driver (uplift) side only.

No vibrations & no need for a strap that way.

My engines sit level.

If yours does not for some reason, the K-member mount holes are oval, so the mount positions are adjustable to 'rock' the assembly from side to side if needed.

Just loosen the mounts on both sides, adjust as needed & then tighten them both back down.

Mike DC

:Twocents:         

Running a solid (metal) mount on one side .... that seems like it's asking for metal fatigue somewhere.  The other side can move and that makes the engine into a lever to flex the solid side. 

firefighter3931

Quote from: Birdflu on February 06, 2020, 11:36:45 AM

If a guy was to bolt the OE mount together in that respect, you may just as well run solid or poly mounts IMO... :yesnod:

Solid/poly mounts transmit more vibration than the modded stock mount. Been using the stock modded mount for years on many different engine configurations. The current combination is a pump gas 572 making 700Hp + and no breakage.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cdr

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 15, 2020, 03:37:23 AM
Quote from: Birdflu on February 06, 2020, 11:36:45 AM

Solid/poly mounts transmit more vibration than the modded stock mount. Been using the stock modded mount for years on many different engine configurations. The current combination is a pump gas 572 making 700Hp + and no breakage.  :2thumbs:

Ron

I did the Ron modded mount on the driver side & have over 9k miles of beating on my street strip car, so far so good :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on February 14, 2020, 10:18:18 PM
I run a solid mount on the driver (uplift) side only.

No vibrations & no need for a strap that way.

My engines sit level.

If yours does not for some reason, the K-member mount holes are oval, so the mount positions are adjustable to 'rock' the assembly from side to side if needed.

Just loosen the mounts on both sides, adjust as needed & then tighten them both back down.

My k member is not adjustable. Level with 2 rubber, level with 2 solid, unlevel with 1 of each.