News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General info/description of Disc brake conversion...

Started by limey, May 18, 2006, 04:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

Hi there, as I scan through this section of the "Mopar Garage" I see lots of specific issues people are having with their conversions, but I am after som more general advice...

Basically I am making my wish list for the car (so when I take it off the road in October to escape the UK roadsalt I can make some structured improvements)

One of the items is to convert my drums to discs. Currently, even though she is an original 318 car, she is riding on the HD 11" drums all round. Someone must have modified them at an earlier date (could you specify HD brakes new?) To be honest the brakes are fine, and I am more than happy with them, as long as the car is driven with care....some would say that is the only way to drive the old girl!

However, I know that the most important safety items are tyres and brakes....people blather on to me about how my Car has no airbags..blah blah blah, but if she has great tyres and great brakes, then it improves the safety factor dramatically.
So,

what systems have you guys got?
Where do you get them from?
How much?
What are the difficulties/pitfalls?
How easy is it to  get the service items for these aftermarket components?

Any info is greatly appreciated..Thanks ;)
L
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Just 6T9 CHGR

IMHO, especially because you are overseas, I would sitck with a complete kit from a reputable company like SSBC or MasterPower Brakes.

Piecing together a brake kit can be both time consuming & frustrating to get all the different pieces to work together.

I went with the manual disc SSBC kit because of the great group deal that runningman has set up for us.

I had no problems with the installation.  The only gripe I had was the increased pedal effort over my manual drums....The car stops on a dime now every time (not the one or possibly two times with the drums) but the pedal effort was/is much greater.  I have since gotten used to it so it is not an issue for me anymore.

Good luck :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

limey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 18, 2006, 01:26:39 PM
IMHO, especially because you are overseas, I would sitck with a complete kit from a reputable company like SSBC or MasterPower Brakes.

Piecing together a brake kit can be both time consuming & frustrating to get all the different pieces to work together.

I went with the manual disc SSBC kit because of the great group deal that runningman has set up for us.

I had no problems with the installation.  The only gripe I had was the increased pedal effort over my manual drums....The car stops on a dime now every time (not the one or possibly two times with the drums) but the pedal effort was/is much greater.  I have since gotten used to it so it is not an issue for me anymore.

Good luck :cheers:

Thanks Chris, so that is for the whole shabang? An all in kit type thing?
Now, Cost?......
CHeers mate,
Nick (limey)
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

mikepmcs

Nick
here's a link to summit racing to get an idea of costs.(click the part numbers to the right and they will tell you what is included)
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=4294922533+115+4294908110
poke around for a while and look to see what's included in the kits, some come with everything and some don't.  I'm hearing a lot of good stuff on SSBC(stainless steel brake corporation). they also have a website   http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/

i myself have a wilwood front set up but didn't have everything in one package(you can get them that way)  but i got a great deal from a member on this site and had to have em'  they will be fine once i get my other woes out of the way(different story)

www.wilwood.com

make sure if you want to do it in one shot you get everything in one package including lines and master cylinder.  do you have power brakes or manual??

i'm sure more will chime in soon but this should get you started.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

limey

Thanks Mike...these kits don't include the master cylinder. Is there a specific Mopar Master cylinder that would work well with a "Disc brake all round" kind of set up or would you have to go aftermarket?
Nick ;)

mikepmcs

if you are all drum brakes you need a disc/drum master cylinderfrom any 70's and up disc brake car 76-78 volare or aspen for example don't go higher than 78 cause then you'll need an adapter plate to bolt it to your booster because it only has 2 studs vice the 4 you and i have now.  i just told the guy at the parts place to give me one for a 76 aspen. cost me $28 us.summit also has master cylinder with booster packages too for about $290 if you want to go that route.

i know i saw a package on there with the stuff included, once again i'm a little slow so i'll try to find you one.  you looking to do all 4 brakes to disc or just the front?? 
you'll also need a couple other things like a 10# pressure relief valve and a adjustable proportioning valve.
i'll send a link for you to read up on those.  i'm also going to find you the article on this site called disc o tech, it covers a junkyard bolt on rebuil from various cars but like Chris said i'd go with new.  i'm not around any mopar haven's either so i feel your pain.

first link is the prop valve and the 2nd is the relief valve with a short explanation.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-MasterCylinders/001-PV/index.asp     

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-MasterCylinders/010-RPV/index.asp

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

limey

Thats great stuff mike, you sure are being very helpful. ;D
Much obliged....
It makes up for not having any Mopar guys round here.
I'll read up on that stuff.
Nick

mikepmcs

here's a good thread i just stumbled on with a bunch of disc brake talk.
the guy that started the post way back in october is the one i bought the set from just last month, he is chargerjmp(mike)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3677.0.html
v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

here's a must read, it explains what all the valves and stuff are for
http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/brake_facts.html

found the article.. it uses junkyard stuff but there is some knowledge based info as well. you'll see where i got some of the info i already gave you(master cylinder)
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

v/r
Mike

Animal

I live in London UK & I got my discs,servo, MC,proportioning valve etc etc,from SSBC.This is disc all round & cost me about £1500.00.The car is a 68 440 charger.BTW,is there somewhere I can register it on this site,as I have only seen it for a 69.
Adam

Just 6T9 CHGR

SSBC kit comes complete with the MC as stated above.
With the group deal we are running now the manual disc kit cost me $650 USD shipped to my door

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6455.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Animal

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 18, 2006, 05:54:39 PM
SSBC kit comes complete with the MC as stated above.
With the group deal we are running now the manual disc kit cost me $650 USD shipped to my door

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6455.0.html
You just made me feel a whole lot better. :'( :icon_smile_big:

mikepmcs

Quote from: Animal on May 18, 2006, 05:37:30 PM
I live in London UK & I got my discs,servo, MC,proportioning valve etc etc,from SSBC.This is disc all round & cost me about £1500.00.The car is a 68 440 charger.BTW,is there somewhere I can register it on this site,as I have only seen it for a 69.
Adam

Pers Message Jim Shine.  i believe he is setting it up or has done so already

BlueSS454

I used a complete setup from a 78 Magnum.  The spindles are the only original part.  The rotors, calipers, hoses, bearings, seals are new.  I plan on using the later aluminum mastrer cylinder with the booster off a late 70's/early 80's Dodge pickup truck.  It has the smalled booster with the provisions for the aluminum master cylinder.  As for the plumbing, I used all the stock 69 lines and valves.  I bought the new metering valve that goes inline with the front to rear line from Right Stuff, and had to use the power drum front line kit.  I think the whole deal cost me about $700 with everything.
Tom Rightler

limey

Adam

So Adam...is the kit worth the money? do you feel it makes the Charger more drivable on UK roads (I seem to be managing ok...but you know what I mean.. ;))
Chris I take it that the $650 was just for the fronts?

BTW I seem to remember reading about the fact that you can't use the original spindles but have to you both LH thread ones...am I totally making that up or am I remembering something relevant..?
(Excuse the increased vagueness...am on a CAM2 fuelled  Friday night drinkfest... :cheers: :cheers:)
Limey

General_01

Limey, I got the same deal as Chris and yes, that is the price for fronts only and they are the regular 4-piston calipers.

If you buy this kit, you get the rotors, bearings, master cylinder,some brake line, and a proportioning valve all in one kit. No need to change spindles. You just need to pull the drums off and bolt these back on. Easy one day job. :icon_smile_big: You will need to get new RH lug nuts for the left side of the car, because they are most likly still the factory LH on your drums.

Dean
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

limey

Quote from: General_01 on May 19, 2006, 09:01:45 PM
You will need to get new RH lug nuts for the left side of the car, because they are most likly still the factory LH on your drums.

Dean

Hey Dean..I knew I remembered something about having to swap SOMETHING over to RH thread instead of LH....just couldn't  remember what! ;D
Limey

Animal

Quote from: limey on May 19, 2006, 04:10:22 PM
Adam

So Adam...is the kit worth the money? do you feel it makes the Charger more drivable on UK roads (I seem to be managing ok...but you know what I mean.. ;))
Chris I take it that the $650 was just for the fronts?

BTW I seem to remember reading about the fact that you can't use the original spindles but have to you both LH thread ones...am I totally making that up or am I remembering something relevant..?
(Excuse the increased vagueness...am on a CAM2 fuelled  Friday night drinkfest... :cheers: :cheers:)
Limey

Hello Limey,I don't know what happened above,but the disc swap isn't as good as I would expect,then again I have only covered about 50 miles so far.maybe they need to bed in.Also I was able to use the original drum brake spindles.Thanks Adam.

Animal

Still don't know what happened above ??? (twice now) Adam