News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone Know This V Code 4-speed Bird?

Started by RSI700VIPER, August 15, 2019, 07:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSI700VIPER

Thinking about taking a chance on this one.  Anyone know the history of this car?

www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-SuperBird/254328233882

69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

mopar346

Looks great, I love white gut black hat on cars. One curious statement though that is repeated, the original owner said it has the original engine and trans/matching numbers, seems like they would verify that. Easier enough to verify though.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

RSI700VIPER

Talked to the owner's "mechanic" Randy.  Apparently car is NOT numbers matching.  Still considering it.  Anyone else know this car?

cudavic

I don't get it. Why misrepresent things such as in his description of the car?

"The original owner and the consignor (I purchased at auction in 2016) state that the 'Bird It has the original 440 six pack motor (3x2 carbs) and the original 4 speed transmission and according to the original owner it is a numbers matching car."

99% of the people interested in this car will verify the numbers. Is he hoping to snag someone in the 1%?
Why not just be honest? IMO the seller just lost his credibility.

Don't get me wrong as it still looks to be a very nice car.

Birdflu

Quote from: cudavic on August 17, 2019, 07:46:30 AM
99% of the people interested in this car will verify the numbers. Is he hoping to snag someone in the 1%?

:iagree:

DAY CLONA

"The original owner and the consignor (I purchased at auction in 2016) state that the 'Bird It has the original 440 six pack motor (3x2 carbs) and the original 4 speed transmission and according to the original owner it is a numbers matching car."

You can't take the "mechanics" or owners statements/info at face value, if a potential buyer is interested they need to get off their ass and investigate for themselves or hire and individual that can confirm any claims/statements... I've looked at vehicles for potential buyers that the current owners/mechanics/curators/dealers/etc haven't a clue what numbers to locate or decipher correctly...the owner "may" know the history of this vehicle? and may be "covering" by reiterating what the past owner/dealer/auction house stated? or just does not really know the true facts of this vehicle, same could be said for the "mechanic"...

cudavic

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 17, 2019, 08:31:19 AM

You can't take the "mechanics" or owners statements/info at face value, if a potential buyer is interested they need to get off their ass and investigate for themselves or hire and individual that can confirm any claims/statements... I've looked at vehicles for potential buyers that the current owners/mechanics/curators/dealers/etc haven't a clue what numbers to locate or decipher correctly...the owner "may" know the history of this vehicle? and may be "covering" by reiterating what the past owner/dealer/auction house stated? or just does not really know the true facts of this vehicle, same could be said for the "mechanic"...

Understood and agree.

With that being said I guess I shouldn't have said he lost his credibility until the numbers were verified.
However I also believe that 99% of the people interested in this car based on it having the original drive train would be extremely disappointed to go to Vegas, only to discover that the seller mislead them. If he wants to represent the car properly he should have taken pictures of the numbers.

bannedbird

For when the link to eBay breaks, here is part of the eBay listing for RM23V0A179760 (as of 8/17/2019 12:53 pm CST)
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

DAY CLONA

Quote from: cudavic on August 17, 2019, 08:52:52 AM

Understood and agree.

With that being said I guess I shouldn't have said he lost his credibility until the numbers were verified.
However I also believe that 99% of the people interested in this car based on it having the original drive train would be extremely disappointed to go to Vegas, only to discover that the seller mislead them. If he wants to represent the car properly he should have taken pictures of the numbers.

I'd like to think some "homework" would be done by a potential buyer before jetting off to see the car in person, besides if your dropping 6 figures, a plane ticket to Vegas is chump change in comparison....

Mike

cudavic

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 17, 2019, 01:42:30 PM
Quote from: cudavic on August 17, 2019, 08:52:52 AM

Understood and agree.

I'd like to think some "homework" would be done by a potential buyer before jetting off to see the car in person, besides if your dropping 6 figures, a plane ticket to Vegas is chump change in comparison....

Mike

You are correct Sir!

RSI700VIPER

The "mechanic" seemed pretty knowledgeable and knew where to look.  He was recently asked by another interested party to verify the numbers and that's when he discovered the non matching issue.  If the owner truly didn't know when he bought the car, he knows now and should amend the listing.   Non-matching will affect the value but not a complete deal breaker.

Birdflu

He bought the car back in 2016. He knew long before writing the eBay ad that the car was non-numbers.

benny70hemibird

I owned that car back in 1987. I purchased it from it's original owner. When I got it, the engine was long gone, blown to bits from many, many street fights back in the day. It had an empty engine bay......no block, no intake, no carbs's.....nothing. Everything gone. That car also had a very rough life. The wing and the doors had been cut off the car with a torch when it was stolen and then they were crudely re-attached with a welder, warping the rear quarter panels on both sides. It was a mess. It also has a long troubled past history that is too crazy to relate to on this site. I could tell you a lot about it, but that car is far, far away from original. I have a bunch of photo's of the car when I purchased it from the first owner documenting it's condition. It looks nice now, but it's not anywhere near what the seller is advertising it as.  

RallyeMike

The listing has the usual slickery saying that other's said it was "one owner" and "original".

Some people have no shame.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

RSI700VIPER

Looks like the high bidder read 70Hemibirds's post.  High bid has been retracted. 

hemi68charger

:2thumbs:; Both on the car and the history ( bringing PROPER history to light )..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                       21 August 2019

If you are going to spend the money for the car, crawl under the car or put it on a rack and verify the numbers. And while you are at it, give the bottom side a good going over for possible "crash" and/or rust repairs. Unfortunately, there are weasels out there ready to lift your wallet; Buyer Beware.

Glad someone that knows the car's history posted on this thread; probably saved someone a chunk of change.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

RSI700VIPER

Looks like it sold for $135.7K.  Seems like a fair price despite its shady history.  I've been patiently waiting to buy a Superbird with similar options.  As someone mentioned on a different post, asking prices are all over the place for Superbirds these days.