News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here is what $5000 buys you.

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 06, 2019, 12:14:22 PM
Funny...For the record, that is NOT my place there.... :smilielol:

Looks like it's in Cali  :nana:

Kern Dog

I guess it is a matter of what you get used to. His place is a cluttered mess. I'm used to seeing his place like that. My stuff is usually tucked away.

Kern Dog

Quote from: dreamcatcher on September 06, 2019, 07:57:15 AM
Great score. Save the bad fender at any cost. I didn't on my 68 and bought AMD replacements.  THEY DO NOT FIT!! I am in fender HELL. I so wish I would been able to save the originals. But they were just too far gone. Good luck and great score.

The black fender is pretty straight except at the door edge where it looks like the fender was pushed back enough to close the gap and then the door was opened by The Hulk or Arnold Scwarzenegger. I have another '70 fender up the hill that is bashed BUT is solid back at the support brace at the rear. I get to do some more intense work on this car in terms of metal replacement.

Kern Dog

It is weird to think that these cars used to be daily transportation. People drove them in all weather conditions, set stuff on them, Parked them on busy city streets....

chargervert

My parents bought this one new when I was six years old,it was our everyday family car until 1982. it was driven in all kinds of New England weather including the blizzard of 78.

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 08, 2019, 03:21:58 AM
It is weird to think that these cars used to be daily transportation. People drove them in all weather conditions, set stuff on them, Parked them on busy city streets....

I still do
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Yeah, well YOU are an inspiration to others!   :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

I just stumbled upon a video featuring another XH Charger in the same color and same vinyl top as mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYO0dMf4LAM

mel t

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 08, 2019, 03:20:10 AM
Quote from: dreamcatcher on September 06, 2019, 07:57:15 AM
Great score. Save the bad fender at any cost. I didn't on my 68 and bought AMD replacements.  THEY DO NOT FIT!! I am in fender HELL. I so wish I would been able to save the originals. But they were just too far gone. Good luck and great score.

The black fender is pretty straight except at the door edge where it looks like the fender was pushed back enough to close the gap and then the door was opened by The Hulk or Arnold Scwarzenegger. I have another '70 fender up the hill that is bashed BUT is solid back at the support brace at the rear. I get to do some more intense work on this car in terms of metal replacement.

Schwarzenegger

mel t

Congrats on the car. Good price for a fixer.
Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Kern Dog

Thanks!
I plan to start on it next month.

6pkrtse

5 grand barely gets you a front clip these days....
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Kern Dog

I am tempted to fix what is structurally damaged and see if I can get $10,000 on ebay.
Might do it...might not.

chargervert

You can do that,but you probably won't find another one for what you paid for this one.

Kern Dog

kent

Kent

Daytona R/T SE

If you're going to sell it, don't fix anything...recent repairs, no matter how well done, are always a red flag to me...

Don't even clean it. :Twocents:

Kern Dog

I decided to move ahead and repair the crash damage. I started a couple of weeks ago. First up, I knew that the right side frame rail and fender apron needed to be replaced. The rail was separated near the core support and it was bent and twisted. The apron was wrinkled bad too. I brought down stuff I saved from a '68 Satellite station wagon. Left and right rails and a core support. The rails were still attached to the torsion bar crossmember.
The rails were chiselled off first.

Kern Dog

Don't let the pictures fool you, The metal on these is actually nice.

Kern Dog

I had forgotten that when I parted the Plymouth wagon out in 2013, I had to cut off one of the K member bolts. Now I had to find a way to get it the rest of the way out. It was sticking up only a little bit but not enough to grab onto.

I welded a nut to it....

Kern Dog

Then just backed it out after rocking it back and forth a bit. My guess: The heat of welding the nut probably helped a LOT.

Kern Dog

I had to clear away the old sections of fender apron using a spotweld cutter.

Kern Dog

The Plymouth core support and the Charger were similar but the top bar on the Plymouth only has a single oval hole to mount the fender. The Dodge has 2. This meant I was going to have to replace the top bar in the replacement core support.
First picture is of a top bar section from a '70 B body.
The middle picture of the  green core is from the '68 Plymouth.

Kern Dog

It was at this point that I started thinking of how I was faced with piecing this structural section together with parts from 3 or 4 cars. I wondered if I was going to be able to make it all fit, be square and level. I mean, when NEW, they had this stuff assembled using tabs, jigs and patterns. I'm just a guy learning this as I go. I have never taken on such a big project like this. Up to now, I have done panel replacement, quarter panel skins, trunk floors, interior floors, taillight panels, lower quarters, bodywork and paint. I had no experience with replacement of structural stuff.
I tried setting a left fender and the hood on to see if the left rail was within spec.
With the hood to cowl gap even, I looked at the gap at the hood to fender. It was not good. The fender was adjusted as far to the right as possible and it wasn't enough. It showed me that the left frame rail was 5/8" pushed to the left.

Kern Dog

The left fender apron did show some damage near the core support.