News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firecore RTR and Fi-Tech

Started by comet_666, July 18, 2019, 08:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Is the firecore RTR a 2 wire that would plug directly into the Fi-TEch unit?
Not having it in front of me currently, the firecore rtr pic on manciniracing.com shows 2 wire, now finding a pic of mine it looks like its 3 wire..?

garner7555

I am running the Firecore Distributor that doesn't have any vacuum advance on the side (different than the one in your picture) with my FiTech and it has worked fine.   :yesnod:   I'm running full timing control and I have checked it with a timing light a few times to verify that it is correct and everything is good.    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

comet_666

How did you wire it in?
Fi Tech says RTR distributors will not work.

thanks!!

garner7555

I am running this distributor.   It is different than the one you have pictured.  It was plug and play with the FiTech.
https://www.manciniracing.com/firradi.html
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

comet_666

Oh boy...Do I need the orange box and ballast resistor now that i am going back from the RTR to a regular dist?

metallicareload99

Quote from: comet_666 on July 19, 2019, 07:34:53 AM
Oh boy...Do I need the orange box and ballast resistor now that i am going back from the RTR to a regular dist?

Depends on what you want to use to control ignition timing and if your FiTech can control timing.

Quote from: comet_666 on July 18, 2019, 09:21:01 PM
How did you wire it in?
Fi Tech says RTR distributors will not work.

thanks!!

If your's is an RTR then you could use it like a standard distributor with advance weights and springs and the Fi Tech only controls fuel/air.  Otherwise if you want the Fitech to control timing, and it is able to, you would need a "2 wire"/ variable reluctor distributor that had the advance mechanism lockedout.  Allegedly factory 2 wire distributors don't provide a good enough signal to be used for timing control, but people have made them work.

Wether or not you need a ballast resistor would depend more on what coil/ignition you use
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

comet_666

I ended going with an MSD dist. The entire insides of the firecore were sloppy and it had already failed me 2x in 4 years so in the bin it went...MSD was plug and play and works great.

myk

I think that's the first negative review I've ever read about the firecore dizzys...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

comet_666

Lasted about 3k miles, reluctor kept moving around no matter what I did..ended up the entire guts of the operation were moving around inside..