News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP PAGING FIREFIGHTER AND CHRYCO

Started by 71440charger, May 13, 2006, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

That's where I would have started when it didn't want to turn.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TylerCharger69

I was thinking a bad ground,  ground strap, or something,  and he said he tried all that.....just one of those things where "ya have to be there"....lol

TylerCharger69

Quote from: 71440charger on May 13, 2006, 10:37:27 PM
the starter works when it is not on the car but when on the car it does not work
This is what made me think converter issues ???

71440charger

sorry guys i had went to bed had to get up early
Quote from: Steve P. on May 16, 2006, 09:31:38 PM
Quote from: 71440charger on May 14, 2006, 07:43:24 AM
na na na the starter when hooked to the car connected to the tranny and not in the tranny it just slings the gear to the end of the shaft. when taken off the car and DC power applied to the starter andgrounded it spins the gear. soi guess i have a short some whear

Let me just get this straight.

1) you have bench tested the starter and it fires out and spins. Yes or no ?

2) You wire it up to the cars harness, BUT DO NOT BOLT the starter to the tranny and the starter fires out but will not turn. Yes or no ?

3) You DO have the pos. cable on the Pos. terminal of the battery. Yes or NO ?

4) With the starter installed completely, have you tried to use a jumper cable directly from the pos. terminal to the starter lug? Yes or no ?

1 yea
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes i believe if i know what you are talking about

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on May 16, 2006, 09:52:50 PM
Quote from: 71440charger on May 13, 2006, 10:37:27 PM
the starter works when it is not on the car but when on the car it does not work
This is what made me think converter issues ???
this is true but this converter is correct and the teeth are fine but when the starter is not inside the tranny but hooked to the car it does the same thing but when off the car it works just fine.
Quote from: TylerCharger69 on May 16, 2006, 09:41:29 PM
I'm sorry....I meant from the junction block to the starter relay....fusible link.....jeeeeeeees....sorry 'bout that
i havent tried this but i have got power on both sides of the fuse and i have redone all of the grounds to the motor. this is nuts!!!
The Killer Cam

TylerCharger69

Let me ask this...where did the converter come from?

71440charger

The Killer Cam

Steve P.

Ok, so just to be sure it is NOT the converter. Have you marked the position of the converter, unbolted it and pushed the converter BACK INTO the tranny?? You should have a gap between the converter and the flex plate of 1/8" if it is propper. If you have NO gap the converter is not installed all the way in and will destroy the tranny pump. This can also be the reason the starter does NOT want to turn when installed.

As I said before, better safe than sorry!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

71440charger

yea it is in right but the starter will not work when grounded out out of the tranny but will work on another car so it is something electrical on my car
The Killer Cam

firefighter3931

Just saw this post....Starter relay switch or neutral safety switch...it's one or the other.  ;)

Have you tried jumping it at the starter relay with a screwdriver ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71440charger

yea jumped it over with the screwdriver
still nothing
The Killer Cam

TylerCharger69

Try jumping the starter relay with a screwdriver.....the one on the firewall below the junction connector block.  If it isn't  any one of these things....It HAS to be an issue with the converter....there are more than one different converters that go on these cars.  The tooth gear around the converter come in different sizes....Some are wider than others.    Can you take a photo of the converter that is in the car now?....from the bottom?

TylerCharger69

TylerCharger69

Sorry...these photos are so small....but look at the tooth ring gear......which one resembles the one you have?   I still think it's a converter problem  if it isnt relay, solenoid, ground connections...etc.....for the record.....when the starter is not installed  and still connected  to the cars harness.....it will not work because the housing has to be bolted to the block....grounded.   It seems you've exhausted all electrical possibilities.....but...which one of these resembles yours?....Both are B/RB converters

TylerCharger69

Note...the ring gear is wider on the bottom photo and different number of teeth than the top photo.   Assuming the TC is stabbed in all the way as Firefighter has stated.....which is correct.  You should be able to spin the converter by itself before bolting it to the flexplate, and about 1/8 inch gap between the ears  and flex plate.

71440charger

when the starter is not in the tranny we ground it out
The Killer Cam

TylerCharger69

okay...but tell me...which one of those converters resembles the one you have??

71440charger

it started i finally got it started the problem wan the new positive wire running to the starter it was broken inside the insulation got a new one and it worked i fired it up and ran wonderful now i just have to hook everything up and do all the mickey mouse stuff and iam good to go thanks for all of the help guys. woooo hooo
The Killer Cam

Steve P.

Glad to hear you figured it out... :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TylerCharger69

Cool!!!!  Now drive it dammit!!!.....lol    I assumed all the wires were checked before trying to diagnose your issue.   Glad it WAS electrical.   I've seen some unfortunate souls  either put in the wrong converter..(i.e.  small block converter in a big block tranny)  or not have them stabbed in all the way   and SNAPPO!!!!  wasting the front pump  and breaking off the eccentric that catches the pump.   I've seen starters bind because of that too, which is why I leaned toward that.    Glad you fixed it!!!! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

71440charger

yea me to thanks for ala the help  ;D
i shall be driving this weekend i hope going to put the new headers on and all the rest of the stuff.
The Killer Cam

firefighter3931

Good news  :yesnod: What about the neutral safety switch ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71440charger

nope still not wired up i am going to wire it but it started right up well it was a 180 off but after that it fired right up should have heard it it was my first big block build so i was pleased got a lot of power in that 440
The Killer Cam

firefighter3931

Is this a fresh build ? Virgin cam & lifters ?

If so you don't want to run the motor for short bursts until the cam is properly broken in....just so you know.

Neutral safety switch must be grounded if it's turning over.

Ron

71440charger

yes fres build but the cam was broken in already not use for but not even 100 mi. but we let it run for a little while not to long
The Killer Cam

firefighter3931

Quote from: 71440charger on May 18, 2006, 09:00:07 AM
yes fres build but the cam was broken in already not use for but not even 100 mi. but we let it run for a little while not to long

Good....ya had me worried there for a second !   ;)

Ron