News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

grille frame and fender scoop stud lengths

Started by held1823, October 01, 2019, 09:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

anyone have the length i should make the studs for the top of the grille screen? i think it's one inch but want to verify that

got the template for mounting the fender scoops, along with measurements from an original.
the mounting holes are supposed to be 5/16 inch, so assuming the studs would be 1/4 diameter
are all five the same length, or do they vary? what's the original way of installing them in the underside of the scoop itself?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

62 Max

know the studs for the scoops are 1/4x20",all the same length but not sure on actual length but doubt they would not be much than 3/4" in length if that,you are only going through 1/16" of metal'

Mopar John

Ernie,
When I removed the fender scoop from the extra drivers side fender every one of them split the mounts in the scoop and none of the nuts came loose!
So I left the passengers side fender scoop on.
I have attached a couple of pictures for you of the studs and nuts for that scoop still installed as original.
The studs are 1/4 - 20 thread and are 3/4" long not counting what you thread into the mounts.
MJ

held1823

thanks for the info.

i'm thinking about picking up some of these hangar bolts. the one in the photo here is two inches long, and available tomorrow. i think the top end would need cut down, but the bottom is  the correct 1/4 - 20 thread. fastenal offers a one inch version of this but has to order it. not sure if i could get them in time

gave some thought to tapping threaded inserts into the scoops, but not sure i'd want to lose so much of the "meat". also might have trouble with the part that would stick out at the fender top
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

tapped the grille frame for 10-32 studs as seen here, but need to find out the length they should be before grinding/filling them.
they are just finger tight for now.  i am assuming the bottom screws use a speed nut?

the right headlight door fitting like this is driving gary nuts, but it's coming back apart after the meet
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053