News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how to attach headliner trim clips?

Started by green69rt, June 09, 2019, 04:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Hi folks,

I ordered a new set of headliner trim clips.  The ones that go at the top of the windshield and hold the headliner trip in place.  I assumed that you just stick the tabs in the holes and then squeeze the ends of the tabs to make the other end expand into the hole and hold it in place.  On the ones I just got from Mega Parts, every time I try to squeeze them the tabs just break off without moving.  Picture shows what I'm talking about.  Still have my old ones and am going to see if I can clean them up and make them work but don't want to start breaking them up also.

Am I doing something wrong?

Alaskan_TA

For some years / models, the tabs insert at 90 degrees then 'twist' in to stay put.

If your holes are rectangular, give it a try.

green69rt

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 09, 2019, 04:15:15 PM
For some years / models, the tabs insert at 90 degrees then 'twist' in to stay put.

If your holes are rectangular, give it a try.

Holes are round.  I worked on them yesterday.  Very carefully bent them back into shape and got them inserted so they fit snugly except for one that is loose but holding.

70gtx440dana

I just went through this same issue with clips purchased from RT Specialties. The material is brittle and when you squeeze the tabs they just break off. I ended up taking some originals and re-used them. Hard to believe they can sell something like this. Of the six clips....I tried to install 3. All 3 broke in the same way. Absolute junk.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

green69rt

To 70GTX, yeah, I found the metal of the tabs was so hard and brittle that they always broke when I tried to bend them.  I ended up talking to the guy at Mega parts.  He said these clips are all made by one company and are like that.  I sent them back and he refunded my money.   I ended up using my original and added a tiny screw thru the clip and into the window frame to hold them tightly.  Nobody will be able to remove the clips with the window in place.

70gtx440dana

Glad you got your refund....I am still working to get mine 6 weeks later. Had to get PayPal involved as the vendor would not reply to emails or answer phone calls. Luckily, I had several original clips. I was able to rework 6 of them to same as you did. I did not have to use any extra screws as you have mentioned. Hard to believe these vendors keep selling these clips. One squeeze with the pliers and they are useless.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

john108

Mitch
I had the same problem and managed breaking one.  The others went in loose.
So, last week I also drilled holes as well and installed small screws. All are in very tight now.
John

C500

guys - how many clips are there supposed to be?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

CRW-FK5

I also had the same issue.  R/T Specialties sent me another set but I never used them, as I'm sure they would break as well.  All the mfr. would need to do is make them out of a more ductile steel.  Very odd and frustrating.

green69rt