News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will Electric Cars Outsell Internal Combustion

Started by Ghoste, October 09, 2019, 06:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Long Before Electric Cars Dominate The Market

Five Years
Ten Years
Fifteen Years
More Than Fifteen
Never

odcics2

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 20, 2019, 01:06:28 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on October 20, 2019, 07:17:48 AM

So conversely, are you saying that Crazy Conservatives are for a bad environment? 

What determines that my political party is crazy?
I am for traditional American values like gasoline burning cars, red meat, freedom from oppressive regulations, mandates and throat-choking Government. I don't like the "Progressive" movement where TV shows have to include every freak and minority member, all social programs favor the lazy over the people that play by the rules and work, illegal border crossers get welcomed instead of deported....
The green movement is embraced by the left, not the right. The left shows far more interest in electric cars than the right does. American manufacturing went overseas for many reasons, one of which was oppressive environmental regulations that do not exist elsewhere.
I am not against clean air and water. I am against rules that chase away business while having zero impact on the environment.
Globalists and leftists have become one. They would rather have America's living standard lowered to match the rest of the world than to allow us to continue to lead the way.
No thanks....I'll stay with my party despite their faults.

:scratchchin:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

cdr

Now THIS is truth ^^^^^^^
BOTH sides are BATSHIT CRAZY
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

odcics2

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 21, 2019, 07:46:25 AM
Saying the climate change is not affected by us to any degree with the evidence so overpowering is clearly ridiculous.... I too did not want to believe it......but I cant deny it now.

Saying that we as humans can influence the climate is akin to saying that the fleas on a dog can make the dog change direction.
Follow the money. For every bit of evidence that "we are affecting the planet", there is an equal amount of rebuttal that we cannot.

alfaitalia

Utter rubbish.....honestly.....just look at what you are saying....and do a bit of reading. I usually have respect for what you say (both on cars and other subjects)....but this is saying what you want to believe (what we would all rather believe to be honest)..rather than looking at the facts. By the way my Charger will do 50 to the gallon when its done.....I believe that so it must be true!....and you have to believe me and I have absolutely no evidence to back it up. Stupid....but not dissimilar!

This is interesting....although its all lies of course to keep us subservient and under the power of "the man"!!!....read through all the blue links under the word "FACTS".

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

.....by the way....maybe not one flea..... but about 7 billion fleas on that same dog would definitely have an affect!!! ...and there's your problem. Stopping any couple having more than 2 kids would be a massive step in the right direction IMO.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

Wow. A government study wants us to change so they can have more control.
Yeah....Sure makes sense to me... :slap:

Kern Dog

odcics2

Check out the out of control government spending!!   :eek2:

green69rt

Quote from: odcics2 on October 30, 2019, 04:53:30 PM
Check out the out of control government spending!!   :eek2:

I would gripe about the Democrats but the Republicans (so-called conservatives) are as bad or worse.

b5blue

Quote from: green69rt on October 30, 2019, 10:49:03 PM

I would gripe about the Democrats but the Republicans (so-called conservatives) as as bad or worse.
I gotta laugh or I'd cry!  :yesnod:

Ghoste

For sure either one would pass laws controlling what you drive if they thought it would buy them power.  I wonder how long after widespread electric car useage before lithium mines become a poster cause for the greens?

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on November 01, 2019, 05:28:51 AM
For sure either one would pass laws controlling what you drive if they thought it would buy them power.  I wonder how long after widespread electric car useage before lithium mines become a poster cause for the greens?

This certainly could be the next hue and cry from the green movement.     Even Salon which is not exactly known for as a bastion of conservative viewpoints published this piece recently.

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/17/lithium-mining-for-green-electric-cars-is-leaving-a-stain-on-the-planet/

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on November 01, 2019, 05:28:51 AM

At some point, we'll poison ourselves and be extinct.  (a few more centuries perhaps?)

The planet will go on, not to worry!!    :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Be interesting to see who, or what, rises up to replace us! 

alfaitalia

Rats, cockroaches and spiders seem to be immune to virtually everything....so perhaps ones of them.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Ponch ®

Quote from: b5blue on October 31, 2019, 10:13:48 AM
Quote from: green69rt on October 30, 2019, 10:49:03 PM

I would gripe about the Democrats but the Republicans (so-called conservatives) as as bad or worse.
I gotta laugh or I'd cry!  :yesnod:

they both want to control what you do and say, just in different ways.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Troy

I posted this in Facebook recently but it's relevant for several reasons. Even though the government has mandated stricter emissions, consumers aren't rushing to adopt EVs. Car manufacturers don't want to make what people don't buy. The have also decided that hybrids just aren't a solution (it's average emissions so each EV has a bigger impact overall). It's going to be rather messy.
QuoteThe push for electrification in Europe means selling mass-market vehicles there will be unprofitable "for a decade or two," John Murphy, an auto analyst for Bank of America Merrill Lynch, said during a presentation this month in Detroit.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-26/europe-s-tough-new-emissions-rules-come-with-39-billion-threat?fbclid=IwAR2LOk9fOS7AL42rDVcyqZxJZcmNZgWpdvGyeo4JzfpFCQq_pWP7KYIIb5k

One politician here in the US has proposed a plan to remove 63 million "old" cars from the roads over 10 years. Let me ask: who has the capacity to produce enough "clean" vehicles to replace them? What would 63 million EVs do to the electrical grid? Luckily, here we could at least still use hybrids (we need them for the range that EVs lack).

I'm wondering... why isn't there an "upgrade" path? Is it so difficult to retrofit a vehicle with electric? Many countries have offered incentives to convert a vehicle to CNG (possibly hydrogen?). The waste seems staggering to me. I saw an article about NASA taking delivery of the "first electric powered plane" - but I know some short tour operators have converted their planes to all electric years ago. When you're flying local in good weather you don't need the range/reserve that you'd need for cross country flying.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

Retrofitting electrics -

It's pretty difficult to update any vehicle in any way on a large scale.  I don't see EV retrofits ever becoming very common for cost/benefit reasons.  When the whole drivetrain changes shape it just makes more sense to let the vehicle fleet cycle over.  It only takes 10-15 years for the majority to be replaced.       

Removing 63 million 'old' gasoline vehicles from the roads -

50 years ago the US military looked like this:

Now it looks like this:

I don't think the govt intends to end the public's gasoline habit any time soon.  

b5blue

Consider in about 3-4 minutes I can fill my tank vs 4 hours to recharge enough for a fraction of that gas car's range. They have work yet to do to come close to energy packed in fossil fuel.

odcics2

Quote from: b5blue on November 10, 2019, 09:19:09 PM
Consider in about 3-4 minutes I can fill my tank vs 4 hours to recharge enough for a fraction of that gas car's range. They have work yet to do to come close to energy packed in fossil fuel.

Universal batteries. one size fits all.
Pull in, swap them for a charged one, leave.
Obviously, the 'stations' would be HUGE to supply batteries and charger them. Probably a lot less time though.

Less amount of recharging stations, but larger ones.   

BSB67

Quote from: b5blue on November 10, 2019, 09:19:09 PM

The new Porsche 800 volt battery can do a 75% recharge in 22.5 minutes.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Kern Dog

Mike DC

QuoteThat still sucks.

It's fast enough to be a game-changer.

But that's assuming it could be done as a normal habit.  If it's a not-recommended stunt that taxes the hell out of the battery (shorter lifespan), that is not so helpful. 

Ghoste

70 sublime

Does not really matter how fast it will charge a battery
If you can charge in 10 minutes but only drive 50 miles is not much good
If you can charge in 20 minutes and drive 300 miles that is better
It is all relative but not mentioned how far it will go
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green