News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will Electric Cars Outsell Internal Combustion

Started by Ghoste, October 09, 2019, 06:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Long Before Electric Cars Dominate The Market

Five Years
Ten Years
Fifteen Years
More Than Fifteen
Never

BSB67

Actually looks like 83%, not 75%.  Full charge, 250 miles.  0-60 in less than 3 seconds.

All that said, there are no charging stations in this country to facilitate this rapid charge rate.

But you get my point.

Did anyone on here do the one month free subscription to Automotive News?  If not, I can give you some highlights if you like.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ponch ®

So, the Mustang Mach E.  Dont like Mustangs, dont like crossovers, and generally dont like Fords. But oddly im kinda into it.

Thoughts?   :stirthepot:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

BSB67

I don't mind it, but why would you take such an iconic name/car, and turn it into typical nondescript crossover.  I have to believe that the Mustang loyalists are furious.  It seem like Ford is walking away from a segment of their loyal followers in a very intentional way.  It screams "we don't car about you...."

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Kern Dog

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 19, 2019, 12:43:25 PM
So, the Mustang Mach E.  Dont like Mustangs, dont like crossovers, and generally dont like Fords. But oddly im kinda into it.

I am not surprised by this. At all. 

Mike DC

AFAIK this doesn't mean the death of the traditional Mustang, just an additional version.  

Honestly I've been surprised that Ford has not tried branching the name out a long time ago.  Although making a small 4x4 'Bronco' was pretty close.

At some point one of the big brands will come out with a medium-size electric drivetrain that is workable.  When it does - look out.  The end of internal combustion's hi-performance dominance will be coming.  

The tipping point is not when something electric goes faster than gasoline.  (We're passing that already.)  The tipping point is when something goes faster that is cheap & common & wrench-able.  That's not a Tesla.  But an electric vehicle from Ford, that's called a 'Mustang' . . . hmm . . .  

JB400

I think it's a smart move.  Tesla's are beating Hellcats.  If Ford wants to beat Tesla, there is no better Ford to do it with than Mustang.  Tesla doesn't build a 2 dr coupe, and suv's are selling.  It's rumored that the Mustang coupe is supposed to share a platform with a suv.  Maybe this is the suv.  If Mustang  coupe goes with an all electric option, that will beat Tesla and be faster than any gas powered Hellcat and Camaro.

Aero426

Aero426

It looks like a Subaru Impreza that got a Mustang makeover front and rear.   

Real Mustangs have two doors.

Kern Dog

I recall a story about how in 1968, the Road Runner was selling so well, some of the guys at Plymouth wanted to add the Road Runner name to the 4 door and Station Wagon line.
I hear stories like this too often. It seems that there are a LOT of business minded auto executives with ZERO understanding of a performance name and a performance image. You can't slap an iconic name on a bland bastardized version of a hot selling car.

BSB67

I don't question making the car at all.  Seems like a good idea.  I question the name.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Ford is committed to no more car type platforms so finding an SUV platform for something Mustang makes sense.  Unless the nameplate can sell enough units to justify its own platform I dont see it fitting their declared business model.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on November 20, 2019, 12:19:30 AM
It looks like a Subaru Impreza that got a Mustang makeover front and rear.   

Real Mustangs have two doors.

"A" pillar back resembles a Dodge Avenger.  (ignore door lowers...)
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on November 19, 2019, 10:03:59 PM
I think it's a smart move.  Tesla's are beating Hellcats.  If Ford wants to beat Tesla, there is no better Ford to do it with than Mustang.  Tesla doesn't build a 2 dr coupe, and suv's are selling.  It's rumored that the Mustang coupe is supposed to share a platform with a suv.  Maybe this is the suv.  If Mustang  coupe goes with an all electric option, that will beat Tesla and be faster than any gas powered Hellcat and Camaro.

They are clearly gunning for Tesla at the price point plopped squarely in Model 3 territory.     The go-faster GT is 40% less than a base Porsche Taycan.    The Tesla true believers won't buy the Mach E.  But buyers considering switching to a plug-in built by a real car company (and not in a tent) with a real service network will take a look at it.     

djcarguy

Call it    PINTO GT-E  ??? OR  G.E.               garbage electric ???  general electric???  another sad day in the auto world. :'( :brickwall:

alfaitalia

Since the slightly cheaper (than a Model S) Tesla Model 3 came out a couple of months back you cant move for them here....saw three on my way to work today...two in the same street! Owners must be short sighted as they sure are ugly (at the front especially) comparted to the S....which isn't a bad looking car.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Ponch ®

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 19, 2019, 08:13:21 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on November 19, 2019, 12:43:25 PM
So, the Mustang Mach E.  Dont like Mustangs, dont like crossovers, and generally dont like Fords. But oddly im kinda into it.

I am not surprised by this. At all.  

Yeah yeah we know. Bc I'm an elitist libtard homo and this car, along with the lack of separate drinking fountains, offends your "good ol days" sensibilities. What else ya got?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Kern Dog

You can drink from whatever fountain that you want, man.

JB400

I wonder how much of the 2023 Mustang is being designed into the Mach E?

Tilar

I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon, the government doesn't want to lose that fuel tax.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

alfaitalia

I doubt that will stop it...they will just make up the taxes elsewhere....like taxing electricity for transport use. You hardly pay any fuel tax compared to most developed nations anyway. Over here....where we pay some of the highest fuel tax in the world.... our government are still pushing full electrics cars forward (there is no future in hybrids)....they have no choice or we wont reach our agreed overall carbon reduction target that we (and most other countries....with one or two very large noticeable exceptions...LOL) signed up to.

Ghoste

In Canadakistan our government is hitting us with escalating carbon taxes (upon which we pay an additional federal tax) with the stated goal of getting us out of gasoline vehicles.  The thinking being that if they make in affordable to drive them, we will switch to sweet clean pure electric cars.

chargervert

They are putting in new electric charging stations for electric cars here in Rhode Island,that are powered by diesel generators! Kinda defeats the purpose,but it will make the snowflakes feel like they are making a difference!

alfaitalia

That cant be true surely??? Completely defeats the point. And with the losses you get from turning diesel into electricity its will cause more pollution than just putting it in the tank. Why would they do that???....do they not have electricity on Rhode island yet!!???

chargervert

That's what they do here,they have been completely defying logic for hundreds of years!