News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battle with the Backseat

Started by 69bananabeast, August 18, 2005, 09:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

Today I got almost everything out got out the fron seats the carpet and the console . all I have left to do is get the backseat out . On the passenger side some how I got the top half of the seat unhooked at the bottom and the top . but no luck on the drivers side. any one got a suggestion?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Get your knee pads out and whack the bottom front of the seat with your knee while pulling up on the bottom of the seat......

Hmmmmm re reading your post, are you having trouble with the back or the bottom of the seat?

Obviously you need to remove the bottom of the seat before you remove the back
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69bananabeast

was told by a friend could remove either first.   the bottom seat will move up a litle bit but thats it havent found a way to get off . having trouble with taking of the drivers side top half .
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

8WHEELER

Maybe this will help you see where the seat brackets are.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

69bananabeast

Good now lets see if I can put it to use  :icon_smile_big:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Just 6T9 CHGR

Its impossible to remove the back half without removing the bottom first.

Hard to see in the pic but on the bottom corners of the back half there are loops of metal that clip into retainers welded to the body.

On the bottom half of the seat, the retainers are pictured (hook looking things)

Follow my instructions in the above post to remove the bottom half FIRST
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69bananabeast

the other day I tried moving the bottom seat first. No dice.    I could see the hooks but I was not able to look at them and move the seat at the same time.  I banged the hell out of the seat but it didnt seem to work at all . Do you really need to remove the backseat to lay in new carpet?  I was thinking that I might be able to slide it under .
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

8WHEELER

You need to push down on the bottom back seat pretty hard sometimes
and push real hard strait back at the same time. Sometime you need to use
a knee to get enough force to push strait back while pushing down near the front.

You can see the verticle back seat clip in this picture, its about 4in up on the wheel well.

Dan

69bananabeast

but would I be able to just slide the carpet under the seat and have it fit good ? This is turning out to be more of a project than I thought it would be . Just a simple carpet and shifter change that turned out a little longer and harder to do.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

8WHEELER

Yes I think it is possible to slip the carpet under the back seat, it will be a problem
taking up those 1in wide by 8in long ''about''  small sill plates that hold the carpet
down to the floor up against the rear lower door panel.

Dan

Ghoste

It must be able to come out.  Can you reach under there at all and feel around the hook to see if something is holding it back?  Or maybe there is some long lost kids toy at the back.  Can you reach between the seat portion and the back portion and feel around back there?  Or get a light and shine it under where you can raise it a little and have a look?

#s Matching

Quote from: 8WHEELER on August 21, 2005, 11:26:25 PM
You need to push down on the bottom back seat pretty hard sometimes
and push real hard strait back at the same time. Sometime you need to use
a knee to get enough force to push strait back while pushing down near the front.

Like 8WHEELER said but when you are trying to pop the seat out, you should be working one side at a time and directly in line with the hooks. The first time I tried my seat, oh so many years ago, I really had to work on it.
#s Matching - 74 Charger SE, 74 Charger Rallye, 69 Charger R/T

Bob Hanner

Guys, My buddy and I had the backseat of my 69 unhooked in about 3 minutes!!!

Here is how we did it.

If you feel around the bottom front side of the seat you should be able to feel a horizontally running bar along the front through the vinyl covering.

Refer to the pictures in the post above as to where the hooking points are

I was inside the car kneeling down ready to lift up on the seat.

My buddy (The better contortionist) was standing one foot outside the car on the ground and the other leg inside the car, with the bottom of his foot he gently (GENTLY!!) pressed the horizontal bar in towards the back of the car and i lifted the seat up and it popped right out of it's mount. Did the same thing for the other side and the seat was up and out of there.

We didn't have to do any push back and pull up of the seat at alll like other posts have suggested.

Heck it took longer to take off the armrest and window cranks than it took to get the seat itself out.

Piece of cake!!! 

8WHEELER

We never said it would not help to have two people that always helps but most all the time
there is just one person doing the job, and some cars are easy and some can be a pain in the  :flame:

Dan

Spartan

I had help from my dad getting mine out.  I took the console and front seats out first since I was removing the carpet and recovering the seats anyway.  It took about 10 minutes to get it right pushing down and then pushing in at the same time but once we got it figured out it popped right out.  The bottom has to come out 1st.  I found the reinforcement welds were broke behind the rear seat at the floor.   It will come out with a little practice (it was my 1st time taking one out).  You don't have to take the front seats out to do it, it was just easier for me.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

maclaganbros

Thanks for the tips, I'll try it out this weekend.