News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

to undercoat or not to undercoat

Started by Ryan, November 02, 2019, 03:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Hi everyone looking for some opinions here.

Working on a rotisserie resto on my 69 charger r/t.  Finaly shot the underside of the car with epoxy after finishing lots of metal work.  Car is off rotisserie while I mock up the drive line suspension ect..... Trying to make up my mind on painting it or shooting it in line-x.  Originality is not of concern. 
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

70 sublime

Are you going to put very many miles on it ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

birdsandbees

My vote.. just so easy to keep clean.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

70 sublime

I want to drive my car and not too worried about the bottom
All I really wanted to do was seal it up to prevent any rust
I got a few cans of rock guard and sprayed the bottom when it was up on the hoist at the muffler shop
I did the spots where the hoist was holding the car up after I got it back home to finish it off
The car has all original floors except for the trunk
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

My California car had no undercoating so I cleaned it and painted it. I like the look of the painted underbody. The Graveyard Cars guys claim to restore the cars to OEM specs but every one that I have seen on TV has that black Line-X type of treatment. I don't mind that but I do like the painted metal better.
I suspect that any of the coatings might reduce road noise due to the added layer of density. Gravel, dirt, whatever....will not make nearly as much noise.
I don't drive on gravel roads, just the dirt in front of my shop. I also know that the factory never fully painted the underbody. The paint just sort of faded lighter from the rocker panels inward.

green69rt

Painted bottom, undercoated wheel wells.