News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger power steering stuck

Started by De-von68, October 29, 2019, 09:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

De-von68

Run into a problem. I recently started on a 68 charger build. My first problem is the steering is completely frozen. I need to be able to steer the car for pushing it in and out of the garage . I'm 99% sure it's the steering box. I unhooked the steering shaft and the steering wheel moves freely. Next I unbolted the steering box and all the components move freely. But when I bolt the steering box back down and hook up the steering shaft the hole system is completely frozen. Nothing will move. How can I free up the steering box and get it to where I can steer the car in the garage? If this is in the wrong section lmk.

70 sublime

So you have no fluid of any kind in the box or is the power steering pump still hooked up ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: De-von68 on October 29, 2019, 09:31:47 PM
    the hole system is completely frozen. 

When the hole system is frozen, sadly, that's when a man has to take matters in his own hands.

De-von68

John_Kunkel

Next I unbolted the steering box and all the components move freely.

Does that mean the input shaft turns freely and the pitman arm can be moved? If so, can you turn the wheels left/right by hand?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 30, 2019, 04:44:19 AM
.....When the hole system is frozen, sadly, that's when a man has to take matters in his own hands.

I see what you did there. Hole vs whole.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

70 sublime

If it was my car and since we live on a farm I would jack up the car so no weight on the front wheels
Then I would find a heavy chunk of wood or fence post and bang it on the edge of the rim to see if it would pop the steering box loose
Think something around 50 pounds and not just 10 pounds
Try hitting it on the front edge to steer the wheel one way then try the back edge to steer it the other way
I would use wood and not something metal so it does not bend the car rim

If it does not free up then I would be looking for another steering box

Again this is what I would try knowing it could end up bending something I did not want bent but at this point it has to come apart anyways .....
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

djcarguy

was ya car ever in a flood or left in rain for years with no hood no fluid in box ??       I wood try ,Sublime above idea.  then I wood get a hammer an screw driver dig out seal where column meets steer box . start soaking it with WD-40, penetrating oil.  use pipe or crescent wrench preload steer shaft an rapid tap on upper steer box. if ya can blow air to get water, old oil out of box. heat upper end of box an smak it with big hammer with a preload on column shaft to see if it will even start to turn.

if no turn ,remove box from tie rods an drag link an you can hand turn the wheels to get it in garage.. get a bigger hammer sounds like steer box is full of rust an likely junk now, so smak it real good,, soak it,, smak it  again..   oil floats on water,so even if it seems to have oil in box it could bee full of water an rust under it.   if you use heat have a water hose or extinguisher handy for fires.....give us more info on car an progress  DJ

De-von68

Yes this is a project car that has set for a long time. I know it will need to be replaced at some point . I am just trying to get it unstuck for the time being. It would be so much easier to move the car if I could steer it

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 30, 2019, 04:44:19 AM
    the hole system is completely frozen. 

When the hole system is frozen, sadly, that's when a man has to take matters in his own hands.

I think that joke will be LOST on the OP.