News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing a manual valve body for auto shifting.

Started by NavyDad, December 29, 2019, 09:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NavyDad

So I have a issue with the trans. Its a 727 that is all beefed up with 4000 dynamic converter and reverse manual valve body. Probably a lot of other mods as well but unknown. I want to remove the manual reverse valve setup for just stock shifting with a shift improver or something. In nutshell  trying to make a street trans out of a racer. I have a spare 727 for parts and already ordered a 2500 converter. Any tips on what else I will need to do while pan is off or is it a simple R&R ? I have a cable kickdown setup on order so that's taken care of. Thanks

justcruisin

I would tap an NPT thread into the feed hole for the front clutch, it may have been set up for a trans brake and have a full complement of 15 springs in the clutch assembly. You may need to play with the hole size to get your 2nd-3rd shift right. With the hole threaded you can simply swap bungs, it just gives you more options for timing the shift.

70 sublime

Could you just sell your drag race transmission and get the spare 727 rebuilt as a regular transmission and have what you want and know what it set up is ?
Might not cost you any more $$ in the end ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

Agree depending on year of 727 you have starting at stock could be best. 

c00nhunterjoe

Its tough to say what it will or wont take without a total dissassembly to see what has been modified. There are many ways to "build" a "race" 727.

NavyDad

Your probably right and I should just sell it off. Just seems like a waste as both the 440 and the trans have at best 10-12 passes on them.  I didnt think it would be all that involved. Thought it's just a valve body swap.

c00nhunterjoe

justcruisin

One thing you may want to look at before you decide to use it on the street is does it have an aluminium front drum. Probably best to do a full strip down before you use it. If you were to sell it, anyone willing to pay good money for it will want to know what is in it. A "race trans" can mean it's stock but just gets raced or fully kitted out.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: NavyDad on December 29, 2019, 09:23:29 PM
Any tips on what else I will need to do while pan is off or is it a simple R&R ?

In most cases, when the trans is built for a RMVB, the governor components are removed...so simply swapping VB's won't get you auto shifts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

NavyDad

I honestly don't know much about it. I expect it has some upgrades as it was in a low 11's drag car. That's why I thought about using it with just a different valve body for street. I heard if you run the manual shift on road it kills them quickly. The shifter is a cheetah, and that thing is a piece of work to operate as is! :yesnod:

c00nhunterjoe

Been running 10 second cars on the street for years with rev man valve bodies and never had a failure. You will do more damage with a stock setup and burnouts on the street.
Cheetah makes a nice shifter. Typically very user friendly.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 30, 2019, 03:40:54 PM
You will do more damage with a stock setup and burnouts on the street.

Not necessarily, if the RMVB doesn't have low band apply (LBA) you're more likely to cause damage with burnouts. All stock VB's have LBA.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 31, 2019, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 30, 2019, 03:40:54 PM
You will do more damage with a stock setup and burnouts on the street.

Not necessarily, if the RMVB doesn't have low band apply (LBA) you're more likely to cause damage with burnouts. All stock VB's have LBA.

Only if you are screwing around in 1st if it doesnt. Ive seen countless failures with stock valve bodies and i would bet that you have too. From the abuse standpoint, i know prior cop cars tore them up as did taxi cabs. Bottom line with either setup- dont be an idiot in 1st gear.

NavyDad

Just for the sake of learning something new, what are some of the mods beyond valve body?  I have one of those work bench how to rebuild a 727 books.  I thought about trying to go threw it and run it behind my 450 hp 440.  If not I have a stock 1977 core trans. Either way I would like to have a go at doing one up for myself. Anyone care to be a guide?

justcruisin

My suggestion to you is get the FSM applicable to your year trans, you should be able to download it from "My Mopar", get Carl Munroe's book on the 727 and read that from cover to cover, decide what you want out of your trans and then get busy. John Kunkel, (as well as others) who post here is both knowledgeable and helpful. He will point you in the right direction if you run into a wall.

c00nhunterjoe

1st problem is, with 50+ years of time to modify, starting the with year of the case means nothing. Anything could be inside. Have to tear down to see what you are starting with. There is no 1 single handbook to how to build a 727, many ways to shake a stick at it. Alot are similar, but parts choices and clearances and what gets removed and what holes drilled vary across the board based on what you are doing. The fsm is a good guide. The basic assembly doesnt change.

NavyDad

As far as honest trans needs go, a solid  good rebuild with possibly a mild shift kit should get it done.  I can use some advice on a good kit and bushing set.  Is there a preferred band and clutch set? This is my first 727. I did the 48re in my truck with some more so I'm not a total loss.

John_Kunkel

A complete disassembly is the first thing to do, then evaluate the condition before planning a rebuild...it might be good enough to just reassemble with a gasket/seal kit.

I recommend the FSM for the exact year of your trans, aftermarket books can't cover all of the year-to-year changes.