News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 "LongRod" build started...

Started by stuubi, December 25, 2019, 05:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuubi

383 for my own Charger..
This is work in progress at now,i will try to add photos and results along the way.
Actually,i started this as a cam swap to MP284,but since 3rd cam bearing was installed poorly and came out with the cam,i took the whole engine out and apart and really big suprise,,,parts list just blew up as planning started."What if...."

Engine: 383

Block:Stock -69

Bore:4.280" (.030" over)

Stroke:Stock 3.37"

Pistons:Diamond

Compression Ratio:10.66 or 10.90 depending how much heads will be milled.

Heads:Edelbrock E-Street,Ported very lightly,220cc runners(210cc stock)

Valve sizes and Flow numbers if available:Stock valves 2.14-1.81
Stock                      Ported
.100    68/60---------74/60           
.200    137/108-------149/112
.300    196/145-------211/151
.400    251/175-------264/180
.500    272/195-------289/201
.600    285/208-------297/217
.700    290/215-------306/229

I'm planning to modify them more,but trying to keep port small for greater airspeed.Also they have 74cc chambers,and i need 68-70cc so they will be milled,and i can raise roof little and fill floor at that point.And because it has pretty high RodRatio,piston speed will be slower so i think small ports 220cc to 230cc will carry this engine pretty far.But those cfm numbers will most likely rise..Allthough that 300cfm will support 580-630hp.
It shoud peak at 6300-6600rpm and make decent torq also.Short stroke will need rpm to make power.
Port Cross sectional area will be at 2.1 to 2.2 so it should be able to run high.

Head Gasket will be Cometic .027" thick,piston sits .008" to bore so it will have nice tight quench also at .035"

Cam: CompCam solid roller 23-702-9, it has 248-254@.050,110lsa,lift .616"-.622" with 1.6 rockers and .576-.582 with 1.5 Comp rockers

Valve train:Harland roller 1.6 or CompCams 1.5 roller.

Ignition:MSD

Exhaust:1 7/8 Hooker or 2" TTI,will be tested at dyno.

Intake:Edelbrock RPM or Mopar M1,will be tested at dyno

Carb:Dambest 4150 series,

Trans:TKO600,Liberty faceplated and few other mod's

Torque converter stall (if auto):

Gear Ratio:3.55 now but will most likely go to 4.30 or 4.56 because .64 overdrive and at least 28" tall tires

Tire type/size:275-60-15 minium

Elevation:

Hp/torque:will be tested,i have estimate that i wan't to achieve.It is high number for 383 pump gas engine.

Et/mph:will be tested,hoping to run....fast

I wanted to build 383,because it seems to be underdog in todays HotRod BigInch engines.
It has 6.780" rods so piston is actually allmost 1/2" shorter than stock 383.And lighter also.
It also has way less rod angle so thrust to cylinder wall will be less,and i try to keep rotating friction low.For power offcource...
Rod ratio is 2.0 so it should really like small runners and make good numbers with even 2plane RPM.

c00nhunterjoe

Personally,  i would run the 1.5 comps, and toss between the rpm and an origonal torker for the intake. Also got a feeling she will want more then 6500 rpm... but im hooked. I like where this is headed.

:popcrn:

stuubi

c00nhunterjoe,
I hear you and i believe that those 1.6 wont be worth more than 10max hp.
Only reason i wan't to test them is that even with 220cc those runners still gained some flow at .500-.600 area.Airspeed on that lift was still in reasonal numbers so it might work.We will see,but 1.5 would take stress away from springs and still will make numbers to the screen.
And i forgot,,,i scored B-block Weiand Tunnelram on Ebay!!!And i'm tempting to give it a shot while on the dyno.Just need couple 600cfm carbs  :icon_smile_big:
And a Indy 1-plane is on the shelf also,but it has big runners for 220cc Eddys.

But that Tunnel is most likely better on my next engine,lowblock 451 with IndyHeads and cam that has more bark..
535cid that i'm building next will be low rpm grunter,not a screamer.

c00nhunterjoe

The tunnel ram is going to scream. Im curious what the difference will be going from 1.5 to 1.6s on this build.

rockosocko

Any updates on your build?

I know there's a bunch of crap going on, but would like more info on your rods and where you got them.

Thanks

stuubi

Some updates yes,
Short Block is ready,heads are work in progress still.

Had to do some other works also..intake runners are epoxied as we speak.

Valve to Piston clearance gave some setback but i think theres still some punch.At this point it looks that i cant run .027" MLS and 1.6 rockers together.
So it will be trade-off between lift or compression.I think i will lose comp and keep lift..will see how it turns out.Also piston rock was little bit more that i wanted to see but will do re-measurement shortly.

Rods for this are basic Eagle H-beams ,nothing fancy.
6,768" lenght is standard 440.

So this is kind of "budgetbuild" also :D

Challenger340

Quote from: stuubi on September 19, 2020, 06:57:20 AM
Some updates yes,

Valve to Piston clearance gave some setback but i think theres still some punch.At this point it looks that i cant run .027" MLS and 1.6 rockers together.
So it will be trade-off between lift or compression.I think i will lose comp and keep lift..will see how it turns out.Also piston rock was little bit more that i wanted to see but will do re-measurement shortly.

Will be very interested in the Dyno results  :2thumbs:   

May I ask....  how did you find the Pin-Fit in the Diamond Pistons out of the Box as delivered ?
and
on the small ends of the Eagle H-Beams ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

stuubi

Engine is still "on hold" as for the heads,i had to finish customer engine first.

Rods are normal bushed 6,768" 440 rods Eagle H-beams,and at that point when i started to look pistons i actually first bought Chevy BB pistons since they had all specs.
If i remember right they were KB224,but drawback was that Chevy BB uses different valve layout (which i did not remember when ordered pistons).
But soon found out the hard way...
So i sold them to some desperate Chevy BB owner....

So i started to search some more and found that Diamond actually has program for pistons that i need and Mancini had them OnSale at that point!!

Diamond 51907

If  remember right,Diamond makes them only as request.

i still have pretty close piston to valve but will try to have it in the 0.08-0.1 area.

Long rod increases dwell time a bit so piston is still really high when valve starts to open.

stuubi

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 23, 2020, 08:29:21 AM
Quote from: stuubi on September 19, 2020, 06:57:20 AM
Some updates yes,

Will be very interested in the Dyno results  :2thumbs:   

May I ask....  how did you find the Pin-Fit in the Diamond Pistons out of the Box as delivered ?
and
on the small ends of the Eagle H-Beams ?

These i did not measure by myself,but my trusted machinist did it and if i recall right,it had ok clearance on the "small side".So they were re-honed just a touch to gain little bit more clearance.
But it was way better than 535 wedge i just buit with 440Source stuff...Those were way too tight!