News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Tie rod Tube or Sleeve Length?

Started by Mopar John, December 17, 2019, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 Max

Quote from: Mopar John on December 26, 2019, 10:42:52 AM
Quote from: Wingnut426 on December 26, 2019, 10:32:45 AM
Hi John, Size matters!   My Hemi 'bird has 8" and I have the original front end from Superbird RM23U0A174651, also 8". WINGNUT
Pete,
Thanks for your measurements!
We now have 4 Superbirds with 8" sleeves and 3 with 8 1/4" sleeves.
I hope others take the time during this off season to measure their's.
MJ

John,mine are original 8",don't take this the wrong way "BUT" does it really matter ? :shruggy: :poke:

Mopar John

Quote from: 62 Max on December 26, 2019, 11:22:17 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on December 26, 2019, 10:42:52 AM
Quote from: Wingnut426 on December 26, 2019, 10:32:45 AM
Hi John, Size matters!   My Hemi 'bird has 8" and I have the original front end from Superbird RM23U0A174651, also 8". WINGNUT
Pete,
Thanks for your measurements!
We now have 4 Superbirds with 8" sleeves and 3 with 8 1/4" sleeves.
I hope others take the time during this off season to measure their's.
MJ

John,mine are original 8",don't take this the wrong way "BUT" does it really matter ? :shruggy: :poke:
62 Max,
Thanks for measuring your tie rod sleeves!
Here is why it matters to me:
If we come to a conclusion on what length is correct it will help me decide which sleeves to use.
The ones that I have on the Superbird are decent but I have found some better ones.
MJ

bannedbird

Could the factory where the B-Body was made could have different suppliers, and possibly different lengths?  Maybe track the plant and the approximate assembly date of car?  Like mid-production changes we have seen on other 'Bird parts (e.g. radiator fan). 

So how do "we" note where in production a 'Bird was?  I am asking in general, not necessarily for when putting a motor and front suspension into a body.  Certainly not VON. Received date on the 1970 list? Or VIN? 

I sometimes caution using VIN because a car could be pulled off the line for re-work / repair, or start of assembly delayed for certain paint color run (correct me if I am wrong).  My research into assembly line scenarios had cars pulled off into side work areas for re-work / repairs, then put back on the line.  So, for this thread, delay would be only a few days if not only hours.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

Hemi Head

What is the correct finish of tie rod sleeve, clamp,and bolt and nut?

nascarxx29

Quote from: Hemi Head on January 02, 2020, 07:59:57 PM
[/Possibly comsmoline
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Hemi Head on January 02, 2020, 07:59:57 PM

I would say zinc phosphate on each part. That's how it looks on my low mileage cars. Eventually it wore off some in the elements.

Mopar John

Some of you may have seen my ad in the parts wanted section for NOS sleeves, clamps and bolts.
Well I have found a nice pair of NOS sleeves but no luck so far on the clamps and bolts.
So I decided to clean up my best clamps and bolts for this.
When I got done wiping off the parts I noticed something!
I have attached some pictures of my parts after cleaning.
Pay attention to the little box area in the lock nuts.
Two of them have red dots and two of them have white dots! ( We now know the white dots are actually tan! ) Thanks Barry!
This must be a left and right or inner and outer color code for the assembly line?
Let me know if you have information on this. :scratchchin:
Thanks! MJ

held1823

my guess is it identifies the shift the part was made and/or assembled on.  New Castle was a suspension parts plant, and during my years there, white = 1st shift, yellow = 2nd shift, blue = 3rd shift. Service and repaired parts might also have a separate color dab. Occasionally, i run across one of the guys who worked there in 69/70, and will see if anyone recalls how things were marked back then.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69bfan

Is that not just a nylon pellet insert into the nut to make sure that it does not back itself off and loose griping force on the clamp and the tube itself.  Possibly they used a different color for a different work shift.  The same technology as the nuts that was used on the fuel tank strap studs.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69bfan on January 06, 2020, 09:13:32 AM
Is that not just a nylon pellet insert into the nut to make sure that it does not back itself off and loose griping force on the clamp and the tube itself.  Possibly they used a different color for a different work shift.  The same technology as the nuts that was used on the fuel tank strap studs.
I'm sure it's just different vendors on the nuts.

Alaskan_TA

QuoteI'm sure it's just different vendors on the nuts.

Nope.

As alluded to above, they are Nylocks.

Tan & Red, note that the colors go all the way through & the T & R for Red & Tan is stamped on each nut.

The nuts are all RH thread, but the Red ones were found on the clamp with the RH thread end for the tie rod sleeve & Tan for the LH threaded end of the sleeve;

Alaskan_TA

Alaskan_TA

Mopar John

Barry,
Thanks for the reply and pictures with explanations!
I have already gone out to the shop and checked the lock nuts.
I have attached 2 pictures of the back side of the nuts.
Just like you say the red have an "R" and the tan have a "T".
Previously I had stated red and white because I thought the yellowish tint was from the grease.
So it is red and tan.
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

Part 2!
Next I went to my parts stash and grabbed a couple of tie rod assemblies.
The first picture shows the red in the lock nut and the "R" in yellow chalk for right hand thread.
The second picture shows the tan in the lock nut and the "L" in yellow chalk for left hand thread.
The last picture is the back side of the tan lock nut cleaned off showing the "T" Barry spoke of.
How many old tie rods did I scrap with the color keyed lock nuts? :brickwall:
MJ