News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A518 shift issue

Started by flyinlow, January 29, 2020, 12:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I have been using a A518 transmission in my 440 Charger for 40K +  miles.  1994 version  out of a 2500 or 3500 van. I installed a TFOD 2 shift kit years ago and a Hughes converter  a year ago. Recently  2-3 shifts after a fully warm shut down and restart are delayed. Light acceleration and it wants to stay in second gear until 3500 Rpm+ . Once it shifts to third gear it will return to normal operation until you shut down again.  Normal when cold . Transmission temperature reading are normal. Never seen 200*, usually cooler.

Years ago I had a 727 do this on the 1-2 shift. It was a worn seal ring.

Any ideas?

John_Kunkel

Your current problem could also be a worn sealing ring, specifically governor sealing rings. Cold fluid, being thicker, seals better.

Only way to know for sure is to hook a gauge to the governor pressure test port.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

Thanks John.

So I need to compare governor pressure at the normal 2-3 shift mph. cold vs. hot ?

c00nhunterjoe

The fact that it only does it 1 time after a hot soak makes me lean towards a sticking valve. I would think that if the govenor rings were leaking hot, they would always leak once hot.