News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Travis Bell discusses Lee 1 in VINWIKI interview

Started by JR, January 30, 2020, 08:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

I'm not a dukes fan, but I remember the controversy.

The car basically got rebodied, right?

https://youtu.be/V_BDOjfDuyA
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Alaskan_TA

Rebodied.

Re-body.

Those are the kindly, gentler terms that perps use for what the Feds call VIN swapping.  :Twocents:

Mike DC

The front subframe & engine block & windshield are original.  They cut off the rear 2/3rds of the original body shell.  

Reassemble a car using 2000 lbs of repro sheetmetal = professional resto.

Reassemble a car using 2000 lbs of donor sheetmetal from other cars = professional resto.

Reassemble a car using 2000 lbs of donor sheetmetal off a single donor car, without cutting the donor pieces apart first = fraud.  

Figure that out.  

The laws/rules on this stuff became outdated decades ago.  They were written back when nice cheap donor cars were everywhere and original VINs weren't valuable.  People didn't go to enormous lengths to call something a restoration back then.  If a damaged car could not be fixed very quickly/easily then nobody fixed it.    Nowadays if somebody finds a Hemi VIN tag lying on the ground in a junkyard then the whole car will be for sale at Barrett-Jackson the next year.  

marshallfry01

They should've left it the way it was and just rebuild the engine/tranny/brakes so it could move around on its own.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.