News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heres one of those "fake" factory looking radios if anyones cares

Started by AKcharger, March 25, 2020, 06:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

From antique auto radio, has blue tooth and all, excited to get it all installed

myk

That's cool.  Let us know how it turns out and how well it operates...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

AKcharger

Jonas_N

Very nice to see modern radios that looks like original.
I went with the retrosound redondo one, it can be adjusted to fit very well and looks ok, though thumb rollers are very plastic.

Nacho-RT74

Per manual instructions they are not easy to get all its functions programed. I got one from a member wasn't satisfied with it, so really it is new on half of the price. I haven't mounted  yet because my car is dissasembled yet so will post my opinions in a year or so.

It seems when you tune the radio stations the dial moves with a servo, so you are not actually moving the dial with the knob

The version I got is the first one, without BT or any other newer stuff. But I'm fine with it ( specially for the price I got, because if wasn't because that I was never to get one ), since I'm prone to hardwire instead wireless stuff on this.

The main reason for me to get this repro radio is the Radio station reception. The stock one is hard to be tuned with good signal strength. I have an original radio AM/FM stereo multiplexer Radio with more powerfull transistors installed ( and cassette player plug adapted for 1/8" phone plug ) which still can be used anyway.

AkCharger, have a question for you! The blue wire coming out from the original one... it is original to it or did you installed for a remote signal? ( such as a powered antenna ).
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

myk

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 26, 2020, 04:54:48 AM
Per manual instructions they are not easy to get all its functions programed. I got one from a member wasn't satisfied with it, so really it is new on half of the price. I haven't mounted  yet because my car is dissasembled yet so will post my opinions in a year or so.

It seems when you tune the radio stations the dial moves with a servo, so you are not actually moving the dial with the knob

The version I got is the first one, without BT or any other newer stuff. But I'm fine with it ( specially for the price I got, because if wasn't because that I was never to get one ), since I'm prone to hardwire instead wireless stuff on this.

The main reason for me to get this repro radio is the Radio station reception. The stock one is hard to be tuned with good signal strength. I have an original radio AM/FM stereo multiplexer Radio with more powerfull transistors installed ( and cassette player plug adapted for 1/8" phone plug ) which still can be used anyway.

AkCharger, have a question for you! The blue wire coming out from the original one... it is original to it or did you installed for a remote signal? ( such as a powered antenna ).

Why is your car disassembled?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Nacho-RT74

body and paint job... since 7 years now :brickwall:

it was getting some deep areas rust issues due incomplete previous jobs. Now the shell in jackstands with the first paint coat for detailing. Aside I never was satified with the previous quarter panels fixes.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

myk

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 26, 2020, 01:19:07 PM
body and paint job... since 7 years now :brickwall:

it was getting some deep areas rust issues due incomplete previous jobs. Now the shell in jackstands with the first paint coat for detailing. Aside I never was satified with the previous quarter panels fixes.

I hate dealing with body issues...

AKcharger

I mocked up the whole system, Massive woofer and amp. works fine, I tried the blue tooth, again good. Seems OK. I'll do final install when car gets back from AC shop

PlainfieldCharger

Not sure in what manner you plan to use the radio but I did get one for my 68 and removed it. I listen to an IPOD and when playing, if the song has a spot with no sound for a couple a secs it will turn the radio back on... :rotz:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: AKcharger on March 27, 2020, 04:57:07 PM
Massive woofer and amp

I think who sold me the Radio didn't like the mass woofer deal and thats why he sold me. I'm fine with that. I'll be using stock original Mopar speakers anyway ( front rebuilt, rear NOS ). It's adjustable thought.

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on March 28, 2020, 07:45:33 AM
Not sure in what manner you plan to use the radio but I did get one for my 68 and removed it. I listen to an IPOD and when playing, if the song has a spot with no sound for a couple a secs it will turn the radio back on... :rotz:

yes that's what I'm affraid of the system. I preffer the mechanical system, once is plugged, the internal sound is cut no matter if the external input is not getting signal... but let's see what will be my experience when I install it.

71charger_fan

I have one of those on the shelf that I bought and decided not to use after buying an aftermarket gauge panel. I'll probably just sell it.

AKcharger

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on March 28, 2020, 07:45:33 AM
... I listen to an IPOD and when playing, if the song has a spot with no sound for a couple a secs it will turn the radio back on... :rotz:

Oh No, I hope not.

CDN72SE

Any update on the radio? I am searching around for a replacement myself. Thanks.
1972 Charger SE

71charger_fan

I installed one of those and wired it in. I also installed a JVC media receiver in the glovebox so that I can play music off of a thumb drive. I wound up selling the aftermarket gauge panel I had bought.

AKcharger

Oh! I never gave a feedback report did I?
The good: the sound is AMAZING if you're a "Soundie" it's worth the effort. Especilly bass and drum songs like metallica's  "for whom the bell tolls" never hear it sound better. Looks stock enough for cars shows and no one will ever know unless you pop trunk. It's not gonna win any "stereo battles" but you'd have to spend a lot more $$ to get better sound

The Bad: It's a little "qwerky"  and takes practice to use it properly. For example the blue tooth: to engage you turn dial all the way to the left, wait for the blue light and connect. Well, there's about a 10-15 second delay/self test before it will connect so you think it's not working and start moving the dial  which delays connection even more. Once I learned that it was OK. Next is volume. If you use the volume dial  it goes "low" medium' BLOW YOUR EARDRUMS OUT!" I almost gave myself a heart attack!! Soultion is set volume on your phone to low, set radio volume at reasonable level then adjust volume with phone.

SUMMERY I'm happy with it and if your a "music person" I'd recommend the system. However, if I were to do it all over I'd do what I did with my '70, leave stock AM/FM in car for going to grocery store and Get a Sony XB-60 to strap on the rear seat, and XB-32 for the front floor. About 1/4 of the price, sound is good (not as good as above system) zero installation and you can take it out and use system anywhere

CDN72SE

Thanks AK, I'm always watching your threads to help with my '72.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the pic, write up and advice.
1972 Charger SE

AKcharger

Quote from: CDN72SE on September 26, 2021, 12:01:06 PM
Thanks AK, I'm always watching your threads to help with my '72.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the pic, write up and advice.

sure thing, hit me up anytime!  :2thumbs: