News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering slop

Started by 73chgrSE, January 28, 2020, 10:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I got under it this weekend and checked all my steering components. Seems like nearly all the slop is coming from the gear box even when all the way tight. Bushings all look and feel pretty good.

Has anyone here used Year1 for a rebuild?...... $349.00   but,   They say 6 weeks ETA. Damn!

I live 15 minutes away from them so no shipping costs.

BLK 68 R/T

It has to be running to judge the "play" in the steering box, if it's power steering.

ODZKing

I put a new (rebuilt) on in my 73 when I bought it almost 10 years ago. It's sloppy, just the way they are.
If you want no slop, "Firm Feel". I put one on my 67 and night and day ... they are pricey but worth it.
http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_power_steering_box_rebuild.html

timmycharger

Absolutely love my Firm Feel stage 2 box! Agree that they are pricey and worth it  :yesnod:

Hemidog

Maybe consider replacing the steering coupler with a universal joint type.

73chgrSE

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on January 28, 2020, 02:52:20 PM
It has to be running to judge the "play" in the steering box, if it's power steering.

True.

I only eliminated everything else when it wasn't running.

73chgrSE

Update;I got the "BBB Vision power steering box" from rockauto. It's working great. Feels good, no slop.

XH29N0G

Good to hear.  I missed your earlier post.  My solution ended up being another box altogether. FWIW I went Bergman version of the borgeson box and saw a huge change. I have owned my car since the early 1980's and it has always had a sloppy feel to it.  Over power steered.  I think the different boxes, or something like the restirctor washers or firm feel ultimately solves the problem. Again, glad to hear you solved the problem.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mopar Nut

Quote from: XH29N0G on May 23, 2020, 08:03:25 PM
Good to hear.  I missed your earlier post.  My solution ended up being another box altogether. FWIW I went Bergman version of the borgeson box and saw a huge change. I have owned my car since the early 1980's and it has always had a sloppy feel to it.  Over power steered.  I think the different boxes, or something like the restirctor washers or firm feel ultimately solves the problem. Again, glad to hear you solved the problem.

:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."