News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heat soaked starter

Started by comet_666, May 25, 2020, 10:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

It's gotta be 15-20 years old now. That equates to about 6000 miles lol

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

justcruisin

Starter don't work as well if they are very hot, in my experience heat soak is not generally an issue, It can happen but it has to get pretty hot. Mostly if hard to start when hot and all else is OK - cables battery, engine not to tight when hot, timing, then I would suggest you pull the starter and strip it down to have a look at it's condition. With the mini starter you can just pull the drive motor off and dismantle that to see if the armature brushes and field coils ( if it has them) are in good condition. Personally, with the difficulty of pulling and refitting the starter when they are captured by headers I would just fit a new one. If you do this, make sure you know what you are getting. They are not all created equal and come in different KW ratings. I have an original Chrysler starer and coated headers, never had a problem.