News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear end help!!! Spline.

Started by plasticman-32, June 16, 2020, 03:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticman-32

Hello guys
I'm currently in the process of having a read end rebuilt
The rebuilder said I'll need a fine spline yolk
I converted to a sure grip posi 30 spline 3.55 ratio

I need to buy a drive line and quick performance said they can do a kit with all that together but I don't know what size I need and since I'm building the car I can't currently Measure for one I guess what my question is does anybody know of a standard size I could give the guy or what kind of yogurt I need. Width and diameter of u joint

Thanks guys

John_Kunkel

Are you saying there is currently no yoke on the rear end? Fine-spline (29 spline) yokes come in either the 7260 or 7290 u-joint configuration. It's wise to match the rear end yoke to the transmission slip yoke.

If the engine/trans/rear end in are stock configuration, you can use factory specs to have a driveshaft made but you need to know what u-joints the yokes accept.

To determine what yokes you have, measure the inside dimension of the yoke, between where the cups of the u-joint mount. The 7260 dimension is  2-1/8" and the 7290 2-5/8". The cup diameter for the 7260 is 1.078". The cup diameter for the 7290 is 1.126".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

plasticman-32

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 16, 2020, 03:34:50 PM
Are you saying there is currently no yoke on the rear end? Fine-spline (29 spline) yokes come in either the 7260 or 7290 u-joint configuration. It's wise to match the rear end yoke to the transmission slip yoke.

If the engine/trans/rear end in are stock configuration, you can use factory specs to have a driveshaft made but you need to know what u-joints the yokes accept.

To determine what yokes you have, measure the inside dimension of the yoke, between where the cups of the u-joint mount. The 7260 dimension is  2-1/8" and the 7290 2-5/8". The cup diameter for the 7260 is 1.078". The cup diameter for the 7290 is 1.126".

Thank you John
It's a 29 spline

Now I need to figure out the length of the drive line I don't know how I'm going to do that since I don't have the transmission or rear end in the car

John_Kunkel

Again, if the trans and rear are in the stock configuration, a stock length shaft will work. What year, model, transmission, u-joint?

plasticman-32

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 17, 2020, 02:21:33 PM
Again, if the trans and rear are in the stock configuration, a stock length shaft will work. What year, model, transmission, u-joint?

1968 Dodge Charger
440 727 trans
8 3/4 sure grip 30 spline with 30 spline axles
3.55 ratio

Yes should be stock configuration

John_Kunkel

'68 W2 with a 727 and 8 3/4" and 7290 u-joint is 52.07" long and 3" in diameter.  P/N is 2852162