News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Fan Poll:

Started by Captain D, June 10, 2020, 11:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

I've been debating back n' forth for awhile now whether or not to install an electric fan for the 383 in my 69' Charger to be placed at the very front of my radiator (Rainbow brand, perhaps). No, my car doesn't overheat, but I'd like to have that feature if doing a parade, stuck in traffic on a hot day if need be, etc. I have this thread as a 'poll' to see how many 'yays' vs. 'nays' based on my current set-up if I may get as many opinions as possible please:

- 3 core 22" Champion aluminum radiator (with shroud),
- Non AC car,
- 60 amp alternator (single-field connection),
- Voltage regulator to withstand up to 72 amps (some folks may laugh at the one I use, but it's the Duralast VR706 and it has been absolutely phenomenal from personal experience over the span of several years),
- And, clutch fan installed.

As for 'upgrades,' nothing too crazy - electronic ignition, performer rpm high intake, and EFI ignition. I'm worried that the electric fan draw at, say, 30-40 amps will put too much pressure on the alternator and factory wiring harnesses; especially at lower idle speeds during parades and/or in traffic jambs.

Thank you and curious to get some of your input either way...  

70 sublime

Does your car still have the factory heater under the dash ?
Have you ever been worried about motor temp and just turned the dash heater on to help cool the motor some ?
Might get warm in the car but with all the windows down it might just do the trick
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

c00nhunterjoe

the main concern you will have is the current alternator and wiring as you already suspected.. At idle you are already taxing it with electronic ignition and fuel injection. A respectable fan will pull 20+ amps and discharge at idle for sure on your car and possibly even at cruise rpm.

b5blue

The Flex-a-lite Flex-Wave Reversible Electric Fan, 14" just fits off to one side on my 70. This 150AMP will serve you well: https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_557/Chrysler-Mount-Mega-Amp-Alternator.htm   I have a Denso that puts out 60-70AMP @ idle. Bought long ago it was the best option for low idle output.
  The main thing to never forget with any high output alternator is not to charge a battery that is below normal discharge. (Like from starting.) The extra power run through the dash to recharge a dead battery even with an entirely stock system is too much. (Heat)

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

birdsandbees

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 12, 2020, 12:31:35 PM
Quote from: Captain D on June 10, 2020, 11:54:26 PM

- Voltage regulator to withstand up to 72 amps.  

Huh??
:yesnod: when all it does is turn the field on and off. I only run a 5amp C/B on 80 amp aircraft alternator regulators and have never popped one.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

chargerbr549

For me if there is a choice between an electric fan or mechanical fan I would pick the correct sized radiator with a clutch fan and a proper fitting fan shroud if its setup correctly its pretty dependable and tough to beat just like the factory had set up.

On my 69 RT with a 512 and AC it has the factory fan clutch and matching shroud with the big factory radiator and I have no problems keeping it cool.

John_Kunkel

I agree on the fan clutch/shroud. Problem is getting used to the notion that temps like 240° isn't really "overheating".

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 13, 2020, 04:19:39 PM
I agree on the fan clutch/shroud. Problem is getting used to the notion that temps like 240° isn't really "overheating".

Interesting as ford motor company starts fmem programming on the 96-09 4.6 and 5.4 liter at 225 degrees. 2nd Code sets and light comes on with reduced power at 240. Your statement is loaded. It depends on the manufacture and fuel system. Direct injection fuel systems today do run higher normal operating temps starting in the 220 range and up but they also run higher pressure in the cooling system then a 60 year old carburetored iron big block. To consider 240 acceptable on a 440 mopar with a carb is not a normal operating temperature and i highly doubt that you run yours there

b5blue

While at it why clutch fans, the best is fixed fan with zero slippage.  :scratchchin:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: b5blue on June 14, 2020, 10:37:25 AM
While at it why clutch fans, the best is fixed fan with zero slippage.  :scratchchin:

Ever seen a steel fan come apart at 6,000 rpm? Its not pretty. The factory used them partly for that, and partly for power/economy at cruise as the fan is not needed there.

b5blue

Yea watched a Chevy LUV spit a blade through the hood.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: b5blue on June 14, 2020, 10:37:25 AM

With direct drive, the diameter and pitch of the fan blades is limited. With a large diameter and aggressive blade pitch, at high rpm the belt(s) will slip. AMHIK

The clutch limits the speed of the fan in such situations to where there is still sufficient airflow but no belt slippage.

b5blue

Zero issues here with factory fixed fan after experimenting with every possible type/combo after I added A/C. (The flex fan used for 20 years was too big to clear compressor clutch.) I added electric in front for really hot days @ long idle A/C on.  :2thumbs:

comet_666

What fan did you go with b5blue?

b5blue

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-fans/12-volt-electric-fans/flex-wave.html     It just cleared in front of the condenser offset to passenger's side.

Captain D

... rejuvenating an older thread, but just out of curiosity on the topic of fans & trying to get max cooling due to my set-up - I've read positive / negative regarding flex-fans.

Which is better:
A.) Clutch fan (6 blade all steel), 3 core aluminum radiator, & shroud,
B.) Flex-Fan, 3 core aluminum radiator, & shroud,
C.) Or, about the same?

Although this sounds like I'm giving folks here an eye exam to check their vision, lol, I appreciate any info...btw, my 69' Charger is just a cruiser...

c00nhunterjoe

With your setup and usage, the factory fan and shroud is the best and most efficient cooling option. A pusher fan as a backup in front of the radiator would be the next step, but bear in mind the electrical upgrades needed to keep the factory wiring happy.

Captain D

Thanks for the reply,

So, the factory / mechanical fan would still be best vs a clutch fan (or about the same) more or less...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17117

In checking out the Flex-Fans, seen that their mounting holes tend to get rather worn.

c00nhunterjoe

I ran flex fans for years without wearing them out. But on your setup for what you do with the car, the factory setup will move the most air.

Captain D

... just curious - if I were to get an electric fan in someday, what would be the next best step(s)? For instance, upgrading my single field alternator to a dual field (with higher amperage) & voltage regulator.

I read somewhere that just one year later, 1970, this was a common setup. If so, safe with my configuration under the hood? And, if so, do you know of a shop in our area that can do this modification on the wiring, by chance? Just curious what all I would need besides alternator, VR, etc.

Thanks again man for the info...

b5blue

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 04, 2020, 11:46:52 AM
I ran flex fans for years without wearing them out. But on your setup for what you do with the car, the factory setup will move the most air.
Agreed, I ran my huge stainless blade flex until adding A/C. (It would not clear the compressor clutch.) I found this fixed factory fan cleared A/C and worked. It is common to find. These look to be good alternators:   https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/pages/ChryslerMegaAmp.php

Captain D

Thanks man, yeah, I saved that fan in my garage just in case I ever need to come back to it someday, 😏 (currently, I have an all steel, 6 blade, clutch fan combo installed).

Before I swap it out, I was thinking about the dual field alternator route as a possibility, perhaps. But, unsure about 'how to' & making sure a shop is knowledgeable on what their doing. Thanks for the link! 👍

b5blue

You install yourself Nacho has good diagrams posted here. (Start a topic when ready.)  :2thumbs:

Captain D

Thanks man - sure, I can take a look into it. Although my Charger is a GL, I'm more like Rosco when it comes to wiring sometimes, ha ha. But, sure, I'm always apt to learn new stuff to maintain my car...