News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

torque boxes & frame connectors

Started by DBZ Charger, August 05, 2020, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBZ Charger

I have a 73 Charger SE with a 318. I'm looking at having the bodywork done on it & am looking into having torque boxes & frame connectors installed while I'm at it US car tool has the frame connectors & they say the 71&72 torque boxes work on a 73. Has anyone done this? I'd like to know before I plunk down some cash on everything. Any pictures of the install will be helpful too. Thanks

Nacho-RT74

actually IMHO, torque boxes and subframe conectors are redundant reinforcements.

Aside that, I think there is no subframe conectors for 73 and lates, because the T bars crossmember disturbs it as far I know.

71/72 torque boxes on 73/74, my mind says it should fit, but SOME SELLER/MANUFACTURER told once they do not... but can't recall if said all 4 or just fronts or just rears, but I can't see or think on a difference between 71/72 and 73/74 on the torque boxes area
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Kern Dog

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 05, 2020, 05:59:09 PM
actually IMHO, torque boxes and subframe conectors are redundant reinforcements.

???????
:slap:

Nacho-RT74

torque boxes makes SOMEHOW the same job than a subframe, just that torque boxes are a link to an already existant "subframe" piece which is the rocker section

Subframe connectors are a rocker panel "moved"/aligned to the subframes location linking them.

subframe conectors are a stiffer way to link both subframes being a straight link, and torque boxes makes a "remote" subframe link, but both are somehow oriented to make the same job.

I don't think ( and this is just an opinion, not a fact ) both together will really make a huge difference like using one or the other at least on a street car.  If you were to race, I would use subframe. For street, I think torque boxes are quite enough... even more with a 318!!!! and thinking the torsion bar crossmember is in the middle on 73/74 for subframes, reason why I think most of Subframe connectors are provided just up to 72 on B bodies

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Challenger340

How much power/torque is planned for this Body ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Wasco

Is it recommended to have a car checked out for straightness at a shop before installing the subframe connectors?  I'm pretty sure my car was in an accident at some point, since the hood and passenger fender have been replaced.

green69rt

I put both on my car because I was in a position to do it and it's not very expensive.  Something you might want to consider is reinforcing the K-frame.  Firm Feel makes a kit or you can just cut up some metal to make your own.  Weld the perimeter of the K-frame and re-weld all the existing welds to add some strength.  Weld up some plates to the stearing gear mount and weld some big metal washers around the strut rod holes.  You may or may not be able to tell the difference in how the car drives but they are cheap, easy jobs that can stiffen up the handling on your car.  I'm sure some folks on here can give more info.

MoparMike68

I bought the US car tool kit included was the frame connectors, torque boxes, inner fender braces and radiator core support
Along with RMS front and rear coil overs,I think the fender braces and core support are necessary support for the front end
that are often overlooked.  :Twocents:

Kern Dog

First off, I have zero interest in any coil over replacement setup to replace a torsion bar suspension.  Since they are shifting the suspension loads to a part of the car that wasn't engineered to handle the stresses, reinforcements make sense.
Imagine putting a Daytona wing on a car without the trunk supports? How about bolting a roll bar to the floor sheet metal?

MoparMike68

Coil overs are engineered specifically for each individual application if installed properly with all the necessary
reinforcements they provide a significant upgrade to the suspension where these cars are lacking.
Roll bars and wings can also be installed without issue if properly done.
:2thumbs: