News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Abandoned Superbird - 440 4-speed

Started by wish4hemi, August 21, 2020, 12:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wish4hemi

These are not my pictures and this is not my car, so please don't PM me about its location. The original thread can be seen on For C Bodies Only: https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/threads/theres-cars-still-to-be-found.57620/

Just cross posting here to see if it's a known car or not. Maybe in New Jersey?

TheAutoArchaeologist

This is actually a friend of mines car.  Yes it has been sitting a long time. 

It's great to see people trespassing on his private property, especially since I know he has signs saying "No Trespassing".

birdsandbees

Fucktards even opened the hood... wtf..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ACUDANUT

Well if it means something to you, HIDE IT BETTER.  Better yet sell it, (if you don't care about it) maybe the owner could afford to buy a mower and a weed eater and paint for the house a roof and maybe add running water.  :smilielol:

BS27ROB

Quote from: Devil on August 21, 2020, 01:05:41 PM

It's great to see people trespassing on his private property, especially since I know he has signs saying "No Trespassing".
And not just trespass but had to open the hood as well. No respect for what is clearly someone else's property.

timmycharger

Quote from: BS27ROB on August 21, 2020, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: Devil on August 21, 2020, 01:05:41 PM

And not just trespass but had to open the hood as well. No respect for what is clearly someone else's property.

Exactly.. try that in some parts of the country and get your a$$ shot off!

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 21, 2020, 01:24:36 PM
Well if it means something to you, HIDE IT BETTER.  Better yet sell it, (if you don't care about it) maybe the owner could afford to buy a mower and a weed eater and paint for the house a roof and maybe add running water.  :smilielol:

He lives just a few blocks away in a similar small house.  The Superbird is literally behind the house.  Unless you were in a neighbors yard, you can't see the car. 

And I agree, I showed him a few options for car covers, car bubbles and some of those pop up garages.  Unfortunately this will be one that will sit like it is.

DoubleDlover

First thing that will go missing are the rear window moldings. Then the rear wing. At lest take those parts off and store them safely....

Birdflu

If the car isn't for sale it must have special meaning to the owner...I GET IT! If it has special meaning to the owner, why treat it like a bag of garbage or an old lawn mower that no longer works? Apparently the owner doesn't need or care about money. I am not one to judge, trust me, I am often criticized about the quirky decisions I make, but why let the car sit in a constant state of decay?  :brickwall: 

hemi-hampton

He'll probably say he plans to Restore it, Someday, as the years tick by. LEON.

62 Max

Quote from: Devil on August 21, 2020, 02:16:09 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 21, 2020, 01:24:36 PM

He lives just a few blocks away in a similar small house.  The Superbird is literally behind the house.  Unless you were in a neighbors yard, you can't see the car. 

And I agree, I showed him a few options for car covers, car bubbles and some of those pop up garages.  Unfortunately this will be one that will sit like it is.

Is that car by chance in NY ?

ACUDANUT

Well at least it's not a Daytona wasting away. :D

oldchevelle541

Quote from: Birdflu on August 22, 2020, 09:58:12 AM
If the car isn't for sale it must have special meaning to the owner...I GET IT! If it has special meaning to the owner, why treat it like a bag of garbage or an old lawn mower that no longer works? Apparently the owner doesn't need or care about money. I am not one to judge, trust me, I am often criticized about the quirky decisions I make, but why let the car sit in a constant state of decay?  :brickwall: 

BirdFlu is spot on. I surf the internet looking at all old classics regardless of make and see so any where they were left out in the elements to rust. Years back when I turned 16 my grandfather had an old Model A sinking lower into the dirt every year. I wanted the car to restore and was willing to buy it but other uncles were not willing to let it go. I said to my dad at the time that the others then should clean it up and store it properly to prevent further deterioration. If you don't have the time or money that is totally understood but everyone who cares has the ability or measure to make an attempt to protect the car somehow until you make a decision on what to do with it. In my case my uncle sold the Model A a few short years later without us knowing and we were not happy. I hope this bird has a good future and I wish the owner well. 

nascarxx29

Looked a superbird from NJ gym equipment in the yard Washington NJ I think
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

nascarxx29

smithenhiven

Owner should be ashamed of himself.  Car's been sitting since before there was a tree was growing next to it.

chaaargerb

It always amazes me to see how mother nature just takes over. The same picture over a few years/decades and the car is now in a tree line. Looking at the engine picture it looks like it has a duel point distributor (6 pack car?) also it looks like the passenger side valve cover is hitting the fire wall. It still looks to have the trans in it with the shifter in place . I wonder if a blown clutch took out the bell housing and put the car out of commission. I'm sure the car is well known in the area and I would think someone would have offered to help get the car more secure (At least I would) If the owner is unable to do anything because of age or financially maybe just an offer to trim the trees back and trim the area around the car.  :Twocents:    

70 sublime

In the first set of pictures where you can see the gear shift handle

What are the circles on the dash pad just below the original radio ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Daytona R/T SE

I wonder if anybody has ever made a serious, substantial cash offer to this guy?

Or... has everybody that has asked him about it tried to steal it from him at a stupid low price, just to flip it and make money?

I'd like to go over there with $50,000 in hundreds and my trailer and then see what he has to say.  :scratchchin:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 23, 2020, 09:08:32 AM
I wonder if anybody has ever made a serious, substantial cash offer to this guy?

Or... has everybody that has asked him about it tried to steal it from him at a stupid low price, just to flip it and make money?

I'd like to go over there with $50,000 in hundreds and my trailer and then see what he has to say.  :scratchchin:

It won't work. He does not need money apparently, or he would sell it.  Maybe offer him meth or any drug of his choice.  :Twocents:

62 Max

Quote from: chaaargerb on August 23, 2020, 08:18:52 AM
It always amazes me to see how mother nature just takes over. The same picture over a few years/decades and the car is now in a tree line. Looking at the engine picture it looks like it has a duel point distributor (6 pack car?) also it looks like the passenger side valve cover is hitting the fire wall. It still looks to have the trans in it with the shifter in place . I wonder if a blown clutch took out the bell housing and put the car out of commission. I'm sure the car is well known in the area and I would think someone would have offered to help get the car more secure (At least I would) If the owner is unable to do anything because of age or financially maybe just an offer to trim the trees back and trim the area around the car.  :Twocents:    

Enlarge the picture,no vacuum advance and appears to be aftermarket.

JB400

The only real issue looks to be the roof.  Car appears to be sitting on concrete, so no tall weeds around it.  Just makes the other Superbirds worth more.  It'll get sold eventually.

chaaargerb

Quote from: JB400 on August 23, 2020, 03:01:20 PM
The only real issue looks to be the roof.  Car appears to be sitting on concrete, so no tall weeds around it.  Just makes the other Superbirds worth more.  It'll get sold eventually.

Unfortunately the car is probably pretty wasted. If it's been sitting all those years it's water drains are all clogged up. Between all the dirt and leaves getting packed in over the fall, snow in the winter/ high humidity and rain in the summer I'm sure the cowl, window channels, and any upper body structure like the underside of the hood and decklid / trunk lips are going to be toast. Plus the biggie is the bottom half of the nose cone and rear window plug. The frames might be okay if they weren't starting to rust before it was parked. Is the car restorable? Because it's a bird I would say yes. It's just going to have to be someone younger and with deeper pockets than me. My bird was a mess when I bought it in the 80's and after 30+years it's almost done. If I was to do it again I would buy a good running cleaner bird and enjoy running it around instead of the thing siting in my garage waiting to be finished.     

62 Max

Quote from: chaaargerb on August 23, 2020, 05:20:59 PM
Quote from: JB400 on August 23, 2020, 03:01:20 PM

Unfortunately the car is probably pretty wasted. If it's been sitting all those years it's water drains are all clogged up. Between all the dirt and leaves getting packed in over the fall, snow in the winter/ high humidity and rain in the summer I'm sure the cowl, window channels, and any upper body structure like the underside of the hood and decklid / trunk lips are going to be toast. Plus the biggie is the bottom half of the nose cone and rear window plug. The frames might be okay if they weren't starting to rust before it was parked. Is the car restorable? Because it's a bird I would say yes. It's just going to have to be someone younger and with deeper pockets than me. My bird was a mess when I bought it in the 80's and after 30+years it's almost done. If I was to do it again I would buy a good running cleaner bird and enjoy running it around instead of the thing siting in my garage waiting to be finished.     

Good luck getting it finished,mine took 8 yrs and I thought that was a long time !!    :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

Similar car in my pictures in
N NJ owned by Charles P and later Cesear Malaret from Washington NJ

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 23, 2020, 07:14:22 PM
Similar car in my pictures in
N NJ owned by Charles P and later Cesear Malaret from Washington NJ

440-4BBL car.  Charlie P**** is my neighbor and told me stories about the car.  Sold it to Caesar in the early 80's.  I spoke to Caesar about 15 - 20 years ago about possibly purchasing the bird for a hansom sum of cash and he wasn't interested.  Just said if he sold it to me, then what would he have?  I told him a hell of a lot of cash but it didn't matter.  I recall the last time I saw the car, Caesar had a clothes line tied from his back porch to the wing!  Wish I had a camera for that one.   2 wheels of the bird were sitting on concrete or asphalt walkway and the other 2 were buried deep in the mud.  Funny thing is he has a garage out back with a boat stored in it.          
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Repsol17

If it's the same Cesar Malaret Sr. of Washington NJ, well he be gone. Passed away in 1995.  Maybe the reason it's still there and the house looks abandoned.  Could be in some family probate.

No need for Meth or any drug of choice  :icon_smile_big:
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

billssuperbird

WOW. I love to get my hands on that I'm retiring in 5 years may be nice to have something to work on I probably would leave it just alone and clean it up   :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Some junk yard is gonna make a fortune someday!

AKcharger

Some junk yard is gonna make a fortune someday!

Aero426

Amazing to see the same junk debris undisturbed around the car as the foliage has completely taken over the yard.   

Stevetona

How do people live like that?  :eek2:  I wouldn't even leave my lawnmower out to rust away.  :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: Stevetona on August 24, 2020, 09:13:46 AM
How do people live like that?  :eek2:  I wouldn't even leave my lawnmower out to rust away.  :shruggy:

Looking at the driveway, I doubt anyone is currently living there.   It appears someone cuts the grass every so often with one of the two riding mowers left outside.     

RiverRaider

A lot of people complain about cars in the elements but I wonder if anyone thought to buy the owner a tarp.  I have had some owners say no but I still buy tarps for three cars I may never own 2 70 Cuda's and a 69 Road Runner.  Every year I stop by to visit each place and replace the tarp.  I have been doing this on cars since the late 80's  I got permission to raise them up in the air and put tarps on them.  I even got permission to remove the carpet on the two Cuda's. Only thing I asked in return was that I could put my contact information in the car and asked if they would think of me if they ever decide to sell.  It took almost twenty-five years but that is how I got one of my Plymouth convertibles.  Got a call from the owner to come get my car, he had sold the farm and if I would give him what I had offered in the past it was mine.  He said it would be scrap anyway if I wouldn't have raised and cover it.  For years he told me he would never sell the car but he liked the idea of me stopping every year to put on a new tarp and give him the old one to cover up one of his tractors.  Sometimes you get them sometimes you don't.  But I have got some cars from the family after the owner died because my contact info and offer was still in the car.  Tarping not only can save a car if also keeps it hidden.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Old Moparz

No surprise what people do in regards to ignoring an old classic worth some money. I personally know someone in his 50's now who has a two car garage & in one bay has an early to mid 70's VW Beetle in it. The car was & is shit, it's rotted, rodent infested, probably used as a litterbox too. There is nothing that makes it special or rare except it was his uncle's car at one time & I don't even think he was the original owner.

In the other bay is a pile of dirt.  ::)

Yes, dirt from a hole in the ground. Dirt that this guy's Dad had dumped there in the early 90's that was supposed to be used for a backyard project that never got started. The dirt was still in there last I knew about a year ago.

Now here's the kicker. The guy also has a 1969 RT/SE Charger, a 1965 Satellite with a modified 440 & a variety of other worthless crap that I don't even remember what it is, all outside in the elements & sinking into the earth. The Charger has been off the road since the mid 80's & has been sitting in a space next to a barn at another friend's house since then. The Satellite was a nice, running & driving car that was on the road, but now sitting since my 21 year old son was still in a car seat.   :eyes:

Nothing is for sale, never will be & never will ever see the road again.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nascarxx29

Charles Petty not related to the king lived in hackettstown nj I have a superbird ad he ran in back of hot rod
.My friend looked at it but later bought a daytona.But I have it's vin 179788 nj tan tag SIE 858 moved to Washington on bread butter milk lane where it sat outside

nascarxx29

Second circled ad Charles Petty superbird same vin

nascarxx29

I was pretty sure it was a NJ car I knew of Dave B :yesnod:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 24, 2020, 01:44:29 PM
No surprise what people do in regards to ignoring an old classic worth some money. I personally know someone in his 50's now who has a two car garage & in one bay has an early to mid 70's VW Beetle in it. The car was & is shit, it's rotted, rodent infested, probably used as a litterbox too. There is nothing that makes it special or rare except it was his uncle's car at one time & I don't even think he was the original owner.

In the other bay is a pile of dirt.  ::)

Yes, dirt from a hole in the ground. Dirt that this guy's Dad had dumped there in the early 90's that was supposed to be used for a backyard project that never got started. The dirt was still in there last I knew about a year ago.

Now here's the kicker. The guy also has a 1969 RT/SE Charger, a 1965 Satellite with a modified 440 & a variety of other worthless crap that I don't even remember what it is, all outside in the elements & sinking into the earth. The Charger has been off the road since the mid 80's & has been sitting in a space next to a barn at another friend's house since then. The Satellite was a nice, running & driving car that was on the road, but now sitting since my 21 year old son was still in a car seat.   :eyes:

Nothing is for sale, never will be & never will ever see the road again.

Hey Bob, is that 69 RT/SE F6 Green with a white top and stripe?

70Sbird

It looks like someone has aired up the tires recently.....

Scott Faulkner

taxspeaker

Hey Scott-
In looking at your screen name-here is a picture you might like. Posted at Watson Lake Yukon Territory when I drove to Alaska a couple of years ago.
Bob