News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater core question

Started by tucknroll, February 24, 2022, 11:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

Hey guys I have a 69 with ac and I need a new heater core. Car is fully set up for ac but it doesn't work and I'll probably never fix it. My question is can I buy the one for non ac cars since it's much cheaper. Just trying to get better heat. Thanks

AKcharger

My Guess...No, different

Check part numbers on line, that my show if they are different or same

ht4spd307

I'd say they would be different just by looking at the 2 side by side. if your going to all the trouble of pulling out the a/c box you may as well rebuild it ready for air con if you wish to connect it later down the track just a thought

tucknroll

Thanks guys. Thing is it's not leaking or clogged. Looks original and pretty crusty though. Do they just get so old and crusty that they don't get as warm? Also I have a 195 thermostat in that works but no matter what I can't get it to 200 degrees. Car just never gets hot enough. Shouldn't it run about 210ish? I'm not really sure

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: tucknroll on February 25, 2022, 07:47:53 AM
Thanks guys. Thing is it's not leaking or clogged. Looks original and pretty crusty though. Do they just get so old and crusty that they don't get as warm? Also I have a 195 thermostat in that works but no matter what I can't get it to 200 degrees. Car just never gets hot enough. Shouldn't it run about 210ish? I'm not really sure

Yes heater cores can get plugged up...   if stop leak was used in the past for example.      It's also 50 years old.   

A competent radiator shop could flush it if you're not comfortable with that.

A 195 thermostat was factory but most people would probably choose to run 180.   160 is too cold unless it's for racing purposes IMHO.    210 is something more akin to newer vehicle - not recommended for old iron.

Rebuilding a AC / heater box is pretty involved.   But to 'properly' change from an AC interior to non AC involves a lot more work and many parts.     I have 1 car that's non AC and another that is AC.   I bought a firewall forward kit with new compressor, etc. for that.   The new AC heater core is well over $200 last I checked.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.