News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini charger funny car

Started by JB400, November 08, 2020, 02:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Looking back at old drag racing funny cars, the term mini charger keeps coming up in reference to the 69 model year.  What's the deal?  Did the reduce the size of the body on the funny cars, or is there some other reason for the name reference? :popcrn:

Only one I could find was the Mr Norm's mini charger, but the term seems to span to other drivers as well.

John_Kunkel

AFAIK, most of the Gen II Charger funny cars of that era were "mini"...the body dimensions were downsized to make a fiberglass miniature version of a Charger 500. Less weight, less drag.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

gtx6970

As a general rule of perspective. It May / Does NOT apply to all them running back then. As cars were sold year after year only to be campaigned by subsequent owners

1968 and earlier with stock bodied cars
By 1969 the bodies were beginning to be narrowed and a tad shorter on some but not necessarily all

As an example the Mr Norm 68 is stock dimensions, same goes for the 1968 Color Me Gone
Yet both the above cars in 1969 were dramatically sectioned, shortened, narrowed etc
there were others as well .