News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new chapter in the life of an unrestored Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, November 09, 2020, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Quote from: white on November 12, 2020, 02:29:10 PM
Awesome thread, love the WILE E COYOTE on the wing!

Hi White,                     12 November 2020

That was put there by the Original owner Jack Teubner. We have always thought it was a classy and fitting touch.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Stevetona

Cool outcome to this story. I do hope it's featured in a magazine or on a car Tv show.  :icon_smile_tongue:

PettyMower

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 11, 2020, 06:05:23 PM
Is this car all original paint. ?

Hi Hemi-Hampton,                     12 November 2020

We can't vouch for the paint prior to 1972 when we acquired the Daytona. The overall paint is a combination of Chrysler and Creative Industries, the latter giving new meaning to the word "creative." The best paint was applied by Chrysler.

In our estimation Bob's Daytona is 95% original and will take little effort to bring it to 100%. She has the best home and will be cared for better than we could have hoped for; Bob is the perfect parent for this Jewel. Yes, we will miss her but knowing she has an exceptionally fine home, lots of winged companions and a great parent that loves her was the primary element in our decision to part with her. One of the things Bob told us was: "I buy cars; I don't sell them." That went a long way in sealing the deal.

Bob's as good as gold, a man of his word. We trust him and like him a lot. That's why he now has the Hemi Daytona we had for 48 years.

Thanks Bob for providing our pride and joy with a fantastic new and permanent home.

Best Always,

Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

JDR1967

taxspeaker

Aero426

When you sell a car,  you lose all control over it.   You have no say in what happens.    As Don Draper shouted at his employee in Mad Man, who thought she was working too hard, "that's what the money is for".    The Hemi Daytona has been out there and available for some time.   The seller had sought out opinions of value.   I am sure Bob paid a fair price for it.

I see Bob as an end user.    He's not one of those guys on on social media constantly trolling for cars to buy and flip.    Those people are easy to spot.    Down the road, maybe someone will make Bob an offer he can't refuse.   If that happens,  I don't care.     I have to think he will improve the car and return it to the road during his time with it.    I hope he gets to enjoy it for a long time.

held1823

sixth post. really? do you know bob personally?

i doubt it, or that post would have never been made.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

birdsandbees

The harder you work... the luckier you get! Keep at it Bob!  :Twocents:  :yesnod:

:2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

gtx6970

Bob,
Enjoy the snot out of it. I know I would .  And the wing cars dont have the appeal to me like they do others.

426HemiChick

Quote from: JDR1967 on November 13, 2020, 09:06:58 AM
Removed.  Did not mean to offend Bob.

JDR1967,                    13 November 2020

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending upon ones perspective, we got here late today and didn't see your post prior to its deletion. Obviously, from the posts and the comments, you demeaned a truly upstanding, honest and great friend of ours and of many members here on this site; he also happens to be a Marine Vet, which says and means a lot. We hope you will issue a sincere apology.

If you want to criticize someone, do it to one who deserves it, like a certain individual, very well known to most in the Mopar world. More later Mr. someone.

the 426 Hemi Chicks

taxspeaker

Back on track here-we have all said things we wished we hadn't, especially me, so let's go forward without a problem now.

Yesterday Held1823 (Ernie) and 69_500 (Dan) came by to inspect the car, eat cookies, eat some more cookies, oh and take pictures. I learned a lot. One of the things was the overspray on the brake booster that I had not even noticed. This car has power drums, not discs, and Dan pointed out about 50 little things I did not know about Daytona's while Ernie and I ate cookies.

Ernie and Dan must have taken 500 pictures as well as lots of videos. Dan's knowledge of the number of turns in an original scissors jack was riveting. Seriously, their knowledge left me in shame. Appreciate it guys, and Ernie took home the fenders Christine, with a promise his Daytona is only weeks from being done. (Not really)

Here is a picture of that master cylinder.

Tomorrow I will be pulling the rear seat, looking under it and behind the glove box and under the carpet for a broadcast sheet. Galen wanted $25,000 (not a misprint) for mine, and I don't need it that bad, just would like to have it-a difference between needs and wants.

gtx6970

25gs for a Broadcast sheet.

I would have told him to shove it bleeeeeeeeeeep

birdsandbees

Quote from: taxspeaker on November 13, 2020, 06:17:51 PM
Galen wanted $25,000 (not a misprint) for mine.
:icon_smile_angry: Still an ahole I see... guess selling used cars isn't paying the bills..  :rotz:

Too bad, it was the last opportunity for him to return it back to where it belongs!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Sgt Superbird

Did you say $25K ransom for your broadcast sheet??? I'm astonished. If I were to find someone else's BS, not matter who I was in the MOPAR "brotherhood", that document would be offered back to the REAL owner for nothing more than a thank you. Wow.

I know better than to express an opinion on these sites, but I couldn't hold it in. Sorry in advance, if I stepped on anyone's toes.

A383Wing

It's worthless to him....he's only in it for the $$....always has been

hemi68charger

I had a good experience with Galen, all I had to do was purchase the broadcast sheet decode service... He even brought it to me... I paid $125.00 for the original broadcast sheet to my Press Release 69 Hemi Charger 500... I heard all those rumors too.. Not sure about it.. He came over, visited, had dinner and chatted a lot about this stuff.. He said he never charged these outlandish prices..    Just my experiences with him......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 13, 2020, 06:32:19 PM
Galen wanted $25,000 (not a misprint) for mine.
:icon_smile_angry: Still an ahole I see... guess selling used cars isn't paying the bills..  :rotz:

Too bad, it was the last opportunity for him to return it back to where it belongs!

Hi Birdsandbees,                      13 November 2020

Have a feeling GVG isn't dealing with a full deck. That Build Sheet belonged to us, he was only storing it. He has now stolen / miss appropriated it from Bob and is now engaging in extortion using the internet, phone system while engaging in interstate criminal activity.

He has valued it at $25,000.00, way into the felony category. Conviction will get him some Hard Time.

He has dug his own hole. He has two choices: Send the Build Sheet to Bob and all will be forgiven, or hang onto it and face Federal Prosecution. That costs Big time and the worst part of it, there is only one customer that would like to have it. If GVG's used car business is going in the dumpster, maybe he "ain't got" enough smarts in marketing and/or the law.

GVG, If you choose not to send it to Bob, here's what you can do with it in the meantime while waiting the arrival of the Fed's: "Buy a picture frame, put the build sheet inside, attach a pair of wings, paint $25K on the front then hang it on the wall so you can look at it every day thinking about: Where'd I go Wrong?" It's called Greed.

Have fun Mr. Has-Been, we aren't done yet.

Best Always Everyone,

426 Hemi Chicks

HANDM

Quote from: A383Wing on November 13, 2020, 07:28:58 PM
It's worthless to him....he's only in it for the $$....always has been

Always thought GG was a douchebag and this fully confirms it.....

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 13, 2020, 07:39:38 PM
I had a good experience with Galen, all I had to do was purchase the broadcast sheet decode service... He even brought it to me... I paid $125.00 for the original broadcast sheet to my Press Release 69 Hemi Charger 500... I heard all those rumors too.. Not sure about it.. He came over, visited, had dinner and chatted a lot about this stuff.. He said he never charged these outlandish prices..    Just my experiences with him......

Troy

Hi Troy,                     13 November 2020

How long ago was it that you dealt with him? Our dealings with him go back to early 2006 and up to 2009. Very limited contact but nothing that raised a red flag.

In the last couple of years we have heard rumblings that he was up to shady stuff. We had been warned and should have listened and acted accordingly.

Take care Troy and thanks.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

ksquared

Tomorrow I will be pulling the rear seat, looking under it and behind the glove box and under the carpet for a broadcast sheet. Galen wanted $25,000 (not a misprint) for mine, and I don't need it that bad, just would like to have it-a difference between needs and wants.

That reminds me of:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMARJiSJjo There was mention of free Oldsmobiles, so be warned.

Quote from: 426HemiChick on November 13, 2020, 07:39:51 PM

Hi Birdsandbees,                      13 November 2020

Have a feeling GVG isn't dealing with a full deck. That Build Sheet belonged to us, he was only storing it. He has now stolen / miss appropriated it from Bob and is now engaging in extortion using the internet, phone system while engaging in interstate criminal activity.

He has valued it at $25,000.00, way into the felony category. Conviction will get him some Hard Time.

He has dug his own hole. He has two choices: Send the Build Sheet to Bob and all will be forgiven, or hang onto it and face Federal Prosecution.
It's called Greed.

Have fun Mr. Has-Been, we aren't done yet.

Best Always Everyone,

426 Hemi Chicks

Is it possible to notify the people who host his website.  I'd think attempted extortion would qualify as a breach of the TOS.  

Also, just to help out, here is the following:
gts@mhtc.net
Or call Diane at (608) 326-6346
Don't send many faxes, but that number is (608) 326-8061

Here's a link to the BBB, oh, he's rated F (is that a surprise?) if anybody wants to make a complaint.  
https://www.bbb.org/us/wi/prairie-du-chien/profile/auto-brokers/galens-tag-service-llc-0694-4022392

Lukas Steiner is the local District Attorney, he can be contacted at (608) 326-4802.  There should also be some local department of business bureau which issues licenses to operate, maybe Mr. Steiner will provide that contact information.  Maybe GG hasn't gotten the local business license, although I don't know if one is required there or not.  It is here where I'm at.  Galen's Tag Service LLC.

If I have time I'll keep working on it.  Now, in modern times, there are Facebook and Twitter and other "social media" that can be involved too.  I'm just a luddite so I don't do any of that.

OK, superbird20 got that posted while I was working on this.  $2700, an interesting story to possibly post here, and hopefully more information for the District Attorney Steiner.

PettyMower

Car was first mentioned on September 13th, and Race Motor Sales ran this ad on September 16, 1969:

hemi-hampton

426Hemicheck, the only reason I asked about a repaint was because being a painter thought I noticed some flaking orange overspray paint under rocker & chips under that flaking paint showing possible original factory black out on pinch welds at bottom of rocker & fender. Also, obvious orange overspray on the chrome wheel well molding associated with most repaints or touch up. But seems highly unlikely it would of been repainted within it's first 2 or 3 years. No Insult Intended. P.S. If Galen was storing your Broadcast sheet for you he should just give it back to you, if he did indeed hold it hostage for $25k that's insane. LEON.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 13, 2020, 11:53:59 PM
426Hemicheck, the only reason I asked about a repaint was because being a painter thought I noticed some flaking orange overspray paint under rocker & chips under that flaking paint showing possible original factory black out on pinch welds at bottom of rocker & fender. Also, obvious orange overspray on the chrome wheel well molding associated with most repaints or touch up. But seems highly unlikely it would of been repainted within it's first 2 or 3 years. No Insult Intended. P.S. If Galen was storing your Broadcast sheet for you he should just give it back to you, if he did indeed hold it hostage for $25k that's insane. LEON.

Hi LEON,                          14 November 2020

No insult taken; thanks. Noticed some of it early in our ownership of the car. As time went by the paint could be seen thinning. Not the Chrysler applied Enamel, just the lacquer applied by Creative. If Bob's Daytona would have spent the last 48 years in Phoenix, it may have weathered the years better. The flip side is Phoenix is hotter. Don't know what that might have done to the interior. The net, net of it, she weathered the 41 years here quite well, all things considered.

Being 80 years old helped with the decision to find a new home for our Daytona. She is the most important of the four HP Mopar's we had and also the most beautiful car ever to grace the highways of the world. All the Chargers of that era were extremely beautiful, but the Daytona captured the Gold Ring with her beauty, exotic sleek looks and the fact that everything was functional and actually worked, which I can attest to having had her at 140 on I-75 in the UP of Michigan on our way to Canada for vacation in the summer of 1974.

We are happy Bob expressed interest in her. He flew here on Saturday 24 October 2020 and checked her over. As stated before, our primary goal was to find her a great new home and parent. You will notice, we did not advertise her as money was not our primary goal. We were well aware of what she is and how rare she really is. When Bob arrived and got out of the car, I knew we had a great new friend. Dena was in Phoenix running her businesses while I was here in Texas pulling Guard Duty.

Bob was one of the most respectful people I have met in my life. He was very careful while examining the car, found the hidden numbers I had no clue where they were but did know they existed. Before he came we gave him our asking price. Once he checked her over he agreed to buy her on the spot for our asking price. We are positive she will be well cared for. We love his idea of keeping her as a Time Capsule for future generations.

Galen Govier needs to do the right thing and pony up with the build sheet, which really belonged to us and now belongs to Bob; he needs to do so very soon. If he thinks he can win this, he's going to find it to be the most costly mistake of his life.

So Galen, accept the fact you made a very serious error in judgement, apologize and turn the Build Sheet over to Bob, who is its rightful owner. If you do that and do it soon, I'll send you a couple hundred bucks after I receive word from Bob that you corrected your error. Forget the $25K, it's never going to happen.

Well folks, we found the Daytona's original water pump and the original alternator brackets. Only have a couple more trinkets to locate and Bob will have everything. Like we told him, we do NOT throw things away; it pays to save.

Last but not least, Bob paid us for the car almost two weeks before he came for it. You can't beat trust like that and it says a lot about the character of the man. We are extremely proud to call and have him as a true friend and also a belated "Happy Veterans Day Bob."

Thank You Bob, all our Love for You, your family and Matt.

Best Always,

Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks