News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new chapter in the life of an unrestored Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, November 09, 2020, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Quote from: PettyMower on November 13, 2020, 11:28:14 PM
Car was first mentioned on September 13th, and Race Motor Sales ran this ad on September 16, 1969:

Hi PettyMower,                       14 November 2020

Thanks for posting the ad. If one looks at the ad photo, you will notice the air intake/grill is not the same color as the body of the car, which is the way Bob's Daytona is; it has a black grill. I have always felt this is the way it looks best. Glad you posted it as Bob and I had a discussion about this very subject when he was here.

Wonder if the car in the photo is Bob's. It sure is an interesting post and ad. Thanks again.

Best Always,

Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

PettyMower

Quote from: 426HemiChick on November 14, 2020, 02:35:50 AM
Quote from: PettyMower on November 13, 2020, 11:28:14 PM
Car was first mentioned on September 13th, and Race Motor Sales ran this ad on September 16, 1969:

Hi PettyMower,                       14 November 2020

Thanks for posting the ad. If one looks at the ad photo, you will notice the air intake/grill is not the same color as the body of the car, which is the way Bob's Daytona is; it has a black grill. I have always felt this is the way it looks best. Glad you posted it as Bob and I had a discussion about this very subject when he was here.

Wonder if the car in the photo is Bob's. It sure is an interesting post and ad. Thanks again.

Best Always,

426HemiChicks,

You are very welcome!  It's always exciting to match up the original ad to the current car owner. (I wish I had kept track of how many to date, but there have been quite a few.)

I could be wrong, but I think it's a "stock photo" from Chrysler....others here will know better than me.

Jay

PettyMower

This was Race Motor Sales' first mention of 381532 ~ September 13, 1969:

(Right click the image, then Click "View Image")

Repsol17

Great story and really new here.  Congrats on the new ownership and happy Belated Veterans day to Bob (new owner and you 426hemi and all other vets here).

If I may ask a question to 426hemichick here in reference to the broadcast sheet... seems this thread is staying on track  :icon_smile_big:

How in the world or why would Galen being "STORING" the build sheet to begin with and who allowed this ?  I'm assuming this agreement of sort was between you and him ?
Baffled   :shruggy:

BTW...  It's incredible that someone in that era would park 2 new cars with almost no miles on them.  That's awesome..I'd love to hear what was the thought at that time in doing.

Thanks   ;)
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

69_500

Bob, thank you again for allowing me to come down and crawl all over the car. I would love to come back another time and get even more pics. Some of my shots didn't quite turn out the way I wanted them to. And as I told Ernie yesterday, I didn't take a picture of the entire car. Ooops. I did get 588 pics so far, and I did get 43 minutes of video that I have snagged a few screen shots from as well.

Few minor details that I didn't get pics of and would love to be able to come back again and get those.

Personal opinion, the car is original paint. As far as the pinch welds go, and such, there was very little evidence of any black down there. I will dig through my pics an see where those pics are. It didn't appear near as well applied as was on the Malcoms car.

Geno, I had to chuckle because Bob called me out for taking 50 pics of the jack. And for taking 50-60 pics of the Charger sail emblems and drip troughs.

Its very hard to get pics of the date codes on all the parts I like tracking when they are all on the car. But I think I managed to get the dates from horn relay, wiper motor, voltage regulator, seat belts, and more.

I freely admit I am a nerd for numbers. Geno can attest to this, as well as Ernie, MoparJohn, and now Bob.

held1823

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 13, 2020, 07:39:38 PM
I had a good experience with Galen, all I had to do was purchase the broadcast sheet decode service... He even brought it to me... I paid $125.00 for the original broadcast sheet to my Press Release 69 Hemi Charger 500... I heard all those rumors too.. Not sure about it.. He came over, visited, had dinner and chatted a lot about this stuff.. He said he never charged these outlandish prices..    Just my experiences with him......

Troy

he lied, then. and $125 is still $125 too much for a paper that was worthless apart from the car.

bob didn't mention that the 25k figure came AFTER bob provided info on his six cars to galen for FREE
i also believe bob mentioned that diane was involved in the conversation, so talking to her would likely not change anything
screw stepping on anyone's toes. the internet is FULL of stories of galen ripping people off.
he trashed his reputation long ago and i hope this ransom demand finishes him off
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

guess who still has some cookies left from the visit? (you are a rock star, Jean)

guess who stole his mom's new Pacifica van for the trip, and still has it parked in his driveway with the fenders still in the back of it?
(that part isn't as one sided as it sounds; my new jeep is parked at her house, so the money is a wash...)

and guess who still cannot adequately express his gratitude to both the hemi chicks and the Jennings family? (Christine, you are also a rock star)

the answer to all three - me

here are a couple of views of the rockers. like dan mentioned, they appear untouched, as does the majority of the car.
it is a gold mine for "as delivered" reference photos
(bob, if you prefer others not post without prior approval, let me know and i will remove these)
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi-hampton

Some of the things I noticed in Pics. But I did forget that Creative must of did some Painting on it so I could be wrong on lower fender part. I don't think Creative would painted on the wheel well Molding though. The one underside of Rocker looks like parts of It was sanded right through a white sealer to bare metal? This could of all been done by Creative possibly. LEON.

held1823

Quote from: 69_500 on November 14, 2020, 10:17:05 AM
And as I told Ernie yesterday, I didn't take a picture of the entire car. Ooops.

what he also told me was he would have spent the night there taking photos, and just called in to work Friday.
Bob, when (or if, lol) you let us back in the shop, be prepared to lock us in for the night.
I'm several hundred photos behind, due to one lever selected on the camera that locked me out of the menu to properly set it up.
ok, that is only partially accurate. I'd still be behind, since I only take 10 or so photos of something that Danny takes 50 or more of
I discovered the lock-out error when I got home, and almost threw the camera in the trash because of it.
i will never leave home again with that dang camera and not bring this book along with it
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

bannedbird

Quote from: taxspeaker on November 13, 2020, 06:17:51 PM
Tomorrow I will be pulling the rear seat, looking under it and behind the glove box and under the carpet for a broadcast sheet.

Also check under headliner (although Creative put a new headliner in, slight chance it could have been still taped to roof).  And on top of gas tank.  E-body bucket seats with hard seat back cover was another place: I'm not sure seat type on the HemiChicksTona.  Didn't see if had hood pad, which would be another possible location.

I found one in one car rolled up in the radiator core support... but it was on a 300 mile car and a Chevy.  Good luck.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 14, 2020, 11:25:45 AM
Some of the things I noticed in Pics. But I did forget that Creative must of did some Painting on it so I could be wrong on lower fender part. I don't think Creative would painted on the wheel well Molding though. The one underside of Rocker looks like parts of It was sanded right through a white sealer to bare metal? This could of all been done by Creative possibly. LEON.
hemi-hampton,
After your observations on the paint I started looking closer.
In addition to what you have pointed out I see orange overspray on the brake and fuel lines?
I also see black paint under the orange paint near the lower fender attachment hardware on both sides?
So now I wonder if there was rocker/pinch weld blackout at one time?
Thanks! MJ

held1823

Quote from: Repsol17 on November 14, 2020, 09:35:25 AM
BTW...  It's incredible that someone in that era would park 2 new cars with almost no miles on them.  That's awesome..I'd love to hear what was the thought at that time in doing.
Thanks   ;)

Uncle Sam would have came calling
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69_500

I will definitely be going back to see it. Especially after the news.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Repsol17 on November 14, 2020, 09:35:25 AM
Great story and really new here.  Congrats on the new ownership and happy Belated Veterans day to Bob (new owner and you 426hemi and all other vets here).

If I may ask a question to 426hemichick here in reference to the broadcast sheet... seems this thread is staying on track  :icon_smile_big:

How in the world or why would Galen being "STORING" the build sheet to begin with and who allowed this ?  I'm assuming this agreement of sort was between you and him ?
Baffled   :shruggy:

Thanks   ;)

Hi Repsol17,                          14 November 2020

Sometime in 2006, I called Galen. I think I called him because I had an offer of $1mil for the 3 cars. I did not like the person that made the offer. I was a cop at the time and had the feeling he was a scammer. I told him I'd only sell the Daytona and the price was $1.2 Mil. He said that's a little high. I told him to look around the garage, there are no For Sale signs here; you came to me, if you want it, that's the price. If you don't, I really don't give a shit cause I really don't want to sell it. He left and didn't come back. Found out later he is a convicted felon, Insurance scams are his game.

Back to Galen; I gave him the vin number of the Daytona, he then checked his records; came back with: "I have your Build Sheet, do you want me to send it to you?" I asked him to keep it for me because I was afraid I'd lose it. He said: "OK." He explained someone found it in their car and sent it to Galen so he could possibly reunite it with the correct owner.  Galen never said anything about money/fees/etc. and we didn't give the Build sheet much thought after that; that is until we found this site and a couple others. Started hearing rumblings his "business plan" had been "Revised and Modernized."

Considering Galen's current MO, I should have had him send it back in 06; hindsight. Maybe he'll come to his senses and realize the market for $25K Build Sheets is slim to none. Hang in there Galen, you just might snag one in the next 20 or so years. One thing for certain, he's doing a fine job of destroying what little reputation he has, if he has any at all.

Kind of reminds me of a Rodney Dangerfield Joke, which goes something like this: "My folks were so poor, if I hadn't been born a boy, I wouldn't have had anything to play with." Maybe Galen thinks a "Bad rep is better than no rep at all.

As for the other three cars, 68 Hemi RR, 69 440 6 Pack SB, and 70 Hemi Cuda 4 Spd, its a long story. I'll try to make a short version.

Bought 68 Hemi RR April 68 after return to CONUS from Japan. Decided to drag race it. Worked on it all summer, by the time we were done the season in Ohio was over. 1969 rolls into town, NHRA has a few rule changes, so decided to buy a 69 SB 6-Pack, the idea being pull the 6-pk from the SB, stuff it into the RR and sell it. Swapped a few things around and had the SB ready to go. It was all painted up fancy like by a famous artiest Named Greg who worked out of Arlen Vanke's shop in Akron Ohio. We called her "Elephant" due to being powered by the Elephant motor called Hemi. Ran it once and spun a bearing. Long explanation due here but will have to wait. Brought the Elephant home and started the rebuild. All of a sudden I was going back to Japan for another tour of undetermined length.

Pickled both engines and all parts, put everything in long term storage. Three years later I get back to Akron on a vacation between assignments. I was supposed to go to Europe for 6 months, decided I had had enough of the Good life, quit my job, bought the Daytona, Cuda, Gas Station and new Power Wagon with the "Sno Fighter" package (Ohio). Left the RR and SB in storage; had the Daytona, Cuda and W200 so there was no reason to do anything with the RR & SB. The RR and SB had 4405 and 2681 miles respectively on their clocks, still do. Sold the Cuda in 75, I hated that car, it was the most uncomfortable car I had ever owned. It was fun in town but on the highway it was a living hell. I could do a "BootLegger's" turn in the blink of an eye. That's the only thing that car had going for it. Sold it, now wish I still had it. 3 out of 4 isn't bad for blind luck.

Getting ready to move home to Phoenix, hopefully before Christmas. Will be putting the SB and RR back together. They need a small amount of work due to "Hanger Rash" or Garage Rash if you will. Considering a Crate Hemi to start with, putting it in the SB as it needs the lesser cleanup of the two. We plan to use them for local car shows, Drive-ins and maybe a street race or two. I can see the headlines now: "80 year old rumored to be "Street Racing" a 51 year old Hot Rod.

Hope we answered your preguntas. Hasta luego....

Best Always,

Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

taxspeaker

At about 2:00 PM EST today there must have been an earthquake in Indiana, followed by a major air attack. Actually an old fat guy started yelling and then jumped out of the backseat area of a V2 Daytona clutching a yellowed piece of paper in his hands that he could not quite read until he got into better light. Once he got into better light he realized, sure enough, it was the broadcast (build) sheet from his very Daytona, that was under the rear passenger jute backing of the carpet.

Yes, I found it! Thanks Dan and Ernie for telling me to look there. It is in excellent shape with one small but not problematic tear, I hazve taken 20 pictures and written down all the codes and it is now in the safe. I also know its value, heh, heh.
I have asked Steve (TanTop) to post it if he gets a chance. I don't know many of the codes except the important one.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions for where to look.
Bob

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                     14 November 2020

We could never have dreamt that Bob's adoption of our Daytona would bring so much happiness and joy to so many folks. We knew Bob was the right parent for her but all the joy we see her bringing makes our decision one we are very proud of and happy with.

We're sure she is enjoying all the attention all you wonderful folks are giving her and we know she will return the favor; she is the finest car we have ever had the pleasure of calling OURS.

God Bless Her and All of You Folks. Thank you Bob, you really are a gem.

Best Always,

426HemiChick

Hi Galen,                          14 November 2020

This post is just for you. My offer of a couple hundred bucks is hereby RECINDED. You blew it big time and I'm certain the word will get out as to your sleaze.

Christine, #2 of the 426 Hemi Chicks

birdsandbees

Glad there was two in the car Bob! VIN correct... I sure hope! Enjoy  :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

tan top

Quote from: taxspeaker on November 14, 2020, 06:26:07 PM
At about 2:00 PM EST today there must have been an earthquake in Indiana, followed by a major air attack. Actually an old fat guy started yelling and then jumped out of the backseat area of a V2 Daytona clutching a yellowed piece of paper in his hands that he could not quite read until he got into better light. Once he got into better light he realized, sure enough, it was the broadcast (build) sheet from his very Daytona, that was under the rear passenger jute backing of the carpet.

Yes, I found it! Thanks Dan and Ernie for telling me to look there. It is in excellent shape with one small but not problematic tear, I hazve taken 20 pictures and written down all the codes and it is now in the safe. I also know its value, heh, heh.
I have asked Steve (TanTop) to post it if he gets a chance. I don't know many of the codes except the important one.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions for where to look.
Bob

:2thumbs:
Fantastic news !!   :dance: :patriot:    XX29J9B381532

:popcrn:
 black & white might be easier to see
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

426HemiChick

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 14, 2020, 07:47:22 PM
Glad there was two in the car Bob! VIN correct... I sure hope! Enjoy  :2thumbs:

Hi birdsandbees,                 14 November 2020

It is correct; that VIN is etched into my brain where it shall remain in perpetuity.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Galen's office when he learns Bob has a Build/Broadcast Sheet. Greed, many a man's downfall.

Best Always,

Christine

hemi-hampton

Hard to read all the #'s but I could make out F70X15 Firestone redline (red sidewall) tires & 3:55 8 3/4 sure grip rear. :scratchchin: Black Rims with Deluxe Wheel Covers :scratchchin:

6bblgt

"taxspeaker" congrats on the new car! & congrats on finding an additional b'cast sheet within the car!!  :scratchchin:  that quickly becomes a non-issue

good to see this car changed hands while the former 48 year owner can enjoy the proceeds  :2thumbs:

I have now seen copies of 11 of the 40 HEMI Daytona broadcast sheets - this car has the current high of 10 extra-cost OPTIONs totaling $1,065.35
7 of the cars have OPTIONs totaling between $1,000 - $1,100 (2 are less & 2 are more) - the HEMI was $648.20

in reference to the tires - ALL 1969 HEMI cars had GOODYEAR POLYGLAS F70-15

of the 11 HEMI Daytona broadcast sheets:
7 with red "streak" VS. 4 with white "streak" Goodyear POLYGLAS tires
6 with automatics VS. 5 with 4-speeds

3 have the A36 "performance axle package" 3.55:1
it is the only one with power drum brakes
8 have consoles
it is the only one with the 6-way adjustable LH seat
2 have the LH remote mirror
7 have an AM radio
5 have power steering  :o
4 have the wood-grained SPORT steering wheel
3 with "deluxe" wheel covers VS. 8 with hub caps

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 15, 2020, 12:51:00 AM
"taxspeaker" congrats on the new car! & congrats on finding an additional b'cast sheet within the car!!  :scratchchin:  that quickly becomes a non-issue

good to see this car changed hands while the former 48 year owner can enjoy the proceeds  :2thumbs:

I have now seen copies of 11 of the 40 HEMI Daytona broadcast sheets - this car has the current high of 10 extra-cost OPTIONs totaling $1,065.35
7 of the cars have OPTIONs totaling between $1,000 - $1,100 (2 are less & 2 are more) - the HEMI was $648.20

in reference to the tires - ALL 1969 HEMI cars had GOODYEAR POLYGLAS F70-15

of the 11 HEMI Daytona broadcast sheets:
7 with red "streak" VS. 4 with white "streak" Goodyear POLYGLAS tires
6 with automatics VS. 5 with 4-speeds

3 have the A36 "performance axle package" 3.55:1
it is the only one with power drum brakes
8 have consoles
it is the only one with the 6-way adjustable LH seat
2 have the LH remote mirror
7 have an AM radio
5 have power steering  :o
4 have the wood-grained SPORT steering wheel
3 with "deluxe" wheel covers VS. 8 with hub caps

Hi 6bblgt,                    15 November 2020

If money had been the main object, our Daytona would have been sold a long time ago. Our first priority was the buyer and what they planned for her. Rather than rehash what we have already written, it was Bob himself. He's a man of his word, treats folks with the utmost respect and is honest and trusting.

Having her for 48 years, which we find hard to reconcile, made selling her a  difficult decision. We had numerous opportunities to sell her recently and in the past. We wanted her to have a great home and parent, the absolute very best; we have accomplished those goals in spades.

We also would like to thank Bob's Wife Jean, his family and his assistant Matt for supporting his passion for the Wing Cars. We also want to thank all of you who know Bob and support him.

Best wishes and thank you all.

Best Always,

nascarxx29

Hemi daytona XX29J9 B381538 invoice notice dent in nose one of 11 6bbgt
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

aerolith

Hi Christine, Bob and all Aerofolks.

Well done on securing the future of such a rare car!

I used to be an avid book reader 'back in my youth' but find most books now, as 'dull as ditchwater'
But if someone wrote the story of Hemi-chick-Christine (58 Fury) and your wonderful life with cars, then I would deffo read it! :2thumbs:

I'm sure Greg will do a superb 'coffee table' book of the 200-mph Daytona rebuild, filled with wonderful pictures and stories.
Maybe a collaboration of Wingcar stories for us overseas wannabees to drool over in our dotage... :pity: :pity: :pity:

Yes I know my 4-speed dana C500 is rare too, but life has made me sell her to pay the 'ferryman'... :slap: :'( :brickwall:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623