News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Snap On Tools

Started by tonyskala, November 30, 2020, 05:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyskala

So I dont want to complain too much, but let me complain for a second.

So I have never had a full set of Snap On tools. I inherited some Craftsman tools from my pop, bought a few Snap On, Matco, and Mac tools over the years. Mostly from truck I would literally flag down or make an illegal uturn to catch them while they were at a garage on their local route. Sometimes I would pass what I wanted to my Brother in law and he would make the purchase for me at his work. I know the new Craftsman tools are not us made, but I got a set of the gun meatle chrome ones and they seem solid even thoguht they are made in Tiawan. 160 dollars for a 280 piece set. I paid 60 dollars for the socket holders on line so it seems like a decent deal.

So I have  Snap On dead blow hammer I went to strike a dust cap on and the thing literally crumbled and shattered into pieces. Gave it to my brother in law to give back to the truck and they gave him such a hard time with it.

It was the same thing with a ratchet I had that gave me a chrome splinter I got caught in my hand. They flat out refused to replace that one. I sold it on ebay for a fraction of what I paid for it. I called the HQ and they said you have to have a receipt. I got that thing like 15 years ago. 22

So it got me thinking on these tools. I am wondering for a house mechanic if these new Craftsman tools at Lowes are a better deal. Or the Husky tools at Home Depot. I dont want a hassle. I dont mind driving in and getting them. I just dont want the hassle of digging up a receipt. Or trying to remember how I got the the tool. I was reading about the ICON brand at Harbor freight. They seem pretty good. And I have used those Pitsburg tools for a while and I have had one break but it is always because I have a super long breaker bar on the handle. They have never given me an issue on replacement. I am just wondering if the cost of these Snap On tools and the static I got the last few times trying to get them replaced is worth it.

I am about to get a new tool box and can not discount the harbor freight US GENERAL ones. They seem like a total bargain and they seem solid in the stores and have decent reviews.

Anyone have a similar experience or is just bad karma catching up with me?

birdsandbees

Mastercraft from Canadian Tire.. break one, walk into the Courtesy Desk and they call the tool department to bring you a new one!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Slowpoke

on the harbor freight tool boxes they are made by the same company that makes the craftsman ones and other store brands.

68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

AKcharger

Snap-on was good 20 years ago...now unknown

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Aero426

Quote from: AKcharger on November 30, 2020, 08:40:32 PM
Snap-on was good 20 years ago...now unknown

I have a large half inch drive Snap-On ratchet that was my dad's.   I have called the customer service number and they sent me a repair kit at no charge.   I did not have to go through a dealer.  

Where Snap-On really excels is still the bread and butter hand tool line.   The chrome plated stuff.   The sockets, the wrenches.    If you have a tough to get to rusted up Torx fastener holding some sensor in, you don't want a bottom of the slag barrel bit to screw up your job.   You want a pro quality tool, whether it is S/O, Matco, Cornhole, whatever.     I don't see guys making a living every day buying tools at Harbor Freight.  

Not everything I own is Snap-On,  I have a basic set of wrenches and sockets.  They have a great feel.  The flank drive sockets work.   I also have a $269 Harbor Freight Earthquake battery impact for changing tires.   It's a pretty good tool.  My buddy has used it on harmonic balancers.   It gets light use, so it will probably last me a long time.    I've also looked at the Harbor Freight boxes and I may pick one up.   Probably just fine for the weekend warrior.  

I have a few Snap-On "Blue Point" line items I've not been as happy with.    Sometimes, those seem to be buy/resell items that are rebranded.    If you see a Snap-On trouble light or pressure washer at a bog box store,   that is a rebranded item with the Snap-On branding.     Some common sense applies.    Don't expect lifetime use from a $169 pressure washer.  

I have a few travelling tools for my car trailer that are Tekton.   I saw them at a racing show a couple years ago.   Picked them up at Meijer on sale.     At the time, they were made in Taiwan, and had a nice feel to them.    

Craftsman branded stuff is now the bottom of the slag barrel.     

maxwellwedge

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

kent

I love my Craptsman tools. I only broke one tool since I was 14. I'm 53 now. Bought my first master set then. I think around 300 tools for 243 Canadian. Just came in nice little cardboard boxes. I use to go down to the Bangor Sears store once a year to ring up the credit card when I was in my 20's. Make a day of it to pick up as many tools as I could afford. All those nice "Made in USA" tools that you could not get up here in Canada. Don't get me wrong, all the tools they sold up here were made in the US (a few were made in Japan??) but you could buy a lot more different tools down there that we could not get up here in Canada. They just weren't available up here. But man when I walked into that Bangor store for the first time. My jaw just hit the floor. What a selection. Just like the Snap-On truck. No internet back then. But I still have the catalogs from way back then.
But now, I'm just like Wayne buying more and more stuff from "Crappy Tire"
Kent

riggs626

Most tool truck companies are rebranded from other companies, Use what feels good in your hands i prefer cornwell wrenches but their sockets were disappointing to me and switching them over to Sk and glad I did, wont own anything from mac

FJMG

I completely mirror kent's Post (bought that same set) the tool dept. down south was the same size as the entire sears store up here. I did break three pieces though and the last one I gave to a friend who was traveling south to get replaced. I have a few from cdn tire and their warranty is like sears used to be. I do have a snap ring plier set from snap-on a few years ago and they seem pretty good :shruggy:

Wingnut426

I only have Craftsman and other brand tools. No Snap-on or Macs. My biggest question is why Snap-on tool boxes are so expensive?  I can think of a lot of things I can spend money on other than status symbols. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

TexasStroker

As long as you aren't overloading the drawers, pretty much any box will work.  You basically pay for the size, layout, and color.

If you have a HF nearby and are comfortable with their tools, you can replace them pretty easy.  It usually comes down to the stores and staff on hand...Home Depot is pretty good with Husky.

If you want to keep a budget and don't mind waiting a few days for replacements, I'd go with Tekton.

I've gotten pretty big into German tools, and they are surprisingly reasonable.  That said, they are limited on socket selection for SAE/Imperial stuff.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

gtx6970

I used to make a living with my tools and hand tools between the big ones, Snapon, Cornwell, MAC and Matco will do the job.

Where snap on excels is air tools . They make ( or at least used to ) the very best 3/8" air ratchet on the planet bar none

Since getting out of the business Ive bought Husky, and Yes even some Harbor Freight. with no issues .

That said if a cheap tool breaks in the middle of a job when you are relying on said tool to pay the bills. You buy the best , trust me.

That said, I have NEVER been asked to show a receipt if making a warranty claim on a tool from any manufacturer , IMO find a different tool dealer