News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 main caps

Started by flyinlow, January 30, 2021, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I just dropped of two 440 blocks for cleaning and sonic checks. One of them does not have the original caps. Does a line bore make them fit properly? 

On a block with the original caps , does switching to studs require a line bore? (crank and bearing wear in good shape)

Eldovert

Yes

Some say yes..some say no

Challenger340

Quote from: flyinlow on January 30, 2021, 11:23:09 PM
I just dropped of two 440 blocks for cleaning and sonic checks. One of them does not have the original caps. Does a line bore make them fit properly? 

On a block with the original caps , does switching to studs require a line bore? (crank and bearing wear in good shape)

Swapping Main Caps onto a different Block than they original came with will probably require a Line Bore, as not very often/rarely can they be matched up/corrected with just a Line Hone.

As is said.... Shit WILL run sometimes even grossly out of specs ?
However,
When switching to Main Studs from Bolts Line Honing is required to stay within specs, which for mains is .0005" straight and round.   Studs can typically distort Main Caps .001" to .0015" different that Bolts.
Only wimps wear Bowties !