News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Photo request 68-70 Charger.

Started by orange383, February 01, 2021, 08:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange383

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.
I need a photo of an unrestored Charger 68-70 or one that still has its original sheet metal. Specifically the rear bumper pocket area taken directly side on rather than at an angle.

I'm fitting AMD rear quarters and valance. And need to see the angle of the rear quarter. If someone has the means to measure the angle of the end of the quarter panel in relation to the bumper pocket that would help me to get it spot on.
Even with bending the rear crossmember I'm pretty sure both the quarter and the valance corner need cutting and rewelding.

I bought the quarters in 2011/2012 and at the time I couldn't get the corner from pieces AMD so I went with another supplier, Goodmark I think so parts from different suppliers probably isn't helping but I think the quarter panel is also part of the issue!

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Matt.

triple_green

does this help
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

orange383

Quote from: triple_green on February 01, 2021, 12:30:25 PM
does this help

I think so. Thank you for posting that photo.
The end of your quarter panel from the bumper pocket downwards looks much straighter than mine. Mine kicks back towards the front of the car.
It also shows me that my valance corner isn't shaped right. Maybe I should bin mine and buy the AMD ones.

If you don't mind could you measure the bottom edge of your quarter from the wheel opening to the end where it meets the valance corner ?
Mine measures 28"

Cheers.

Matt.

Kern Dog

orange383

Thanks kerndog, if you took that photo again slightly to the left and lower down that would be spot on  :yesnod:

orange383

I think my quarters are too short at the bottom as the return or flange that butts up against the corner piece is hitting the trunk extension preventing me from pushing it in.

Kern Dog

I am sorry...these are the closest ones that I have for now.

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

orange383

Quote from: triple_green on February 01, 2021, 02:58:35 PM
28.5" on both sides

Thanks triple_green.
I just replied to your private message. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm on the right track now
:cheers:

orange383

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 01, 2021, 02:52:40 PM
I am sorry...these are the closest ones that I have for now.

Thanks for taking the time Kern Dog.

It's seems my quarters are 1/2" shorter than triple_greens which is about the gap I have.

I now have the confidence to go ahead and cut the quarter and add the missing 1/2"

:yesnod:

Cheers

Matt.

Mopar Nut

Matt can you post a picture of what you have?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tan top

this is the only picture i have of now of an unrestored charger i think , dont show much ! might be of help

Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 01, 2021, 03:42:35 PM
Matt can you post a picture of what you have?

like MN said a picture would help us to see whats going on ! :yesnod:
if this is the problem your having below
the repop valance corners have been the wrong shape ( about 3/8" maybe 5/16"  too short on the rear quarter end ) for the last 25 years , & i / we all i think have had to pie cut/ lengthen them to fit original quarters & repops

think AMD has sorted out the corners now ! cant remember CBR Chris  :coolgleamA: having to do it

:popcrn:

*** EDIT****  these are the only  three pictures of mine of that area i have on the computer
as mentioned above  ! i had to replace the lower rear quarters valance end caps & rear valance , i mocked up the real valance , left the original lower quarters on , cut modified the corners to fit , screwed  them in place , then fitted lower rear quarters . then welded corners in place then lower rear valance.  21 years ago was not worried about the layers over lapped on the bottom edge ( did not like the factory way back then ! )  would do it different as per factory today  & with out sealer in the corner to valance gap  :yesnod: back then was more interested in stopping  the weather  / damp getting in etc
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

orange383

I'll take a photo and try to post it tomorrow after work.
I did think Chris modified the quarters on Lennards black 68 a few years ago but I could be wrong as I looked on his build thread and didn't see any reference to it.

westcoastdodge

my 1/4 did seem to slope slightly forward compared to my friends so did the piecut thing,some people say you dont need to but its the way i went,identical amount both sides :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

Lennard

Quote from: orange383 on February 01, 2021, 04:52:56 PM
I did think Chris modified the quarters on Lennards black 68 a few years ago but I could be wrong as I looked on his build thread and didn't see any reference to it.
Yes, he did. The right side quarter panel was to long. Also both rear valance corners needed extensive reshaping.

In this video he's explaining what metal work was done on my car.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfozgvRJduM

Kern Dog

I haven't seen the Lennard Charger in Chris's latest videos. Do you have the car now, Lennard?

orange383

Thanks for all the photos and info guys. I will post some photos tonight but it's pretty much the same as westcoastdodge's photos only his valance corner looks to better made than mine.

This has given me the confidence to crack on now and fix it knowing that I'm going about it the right way!

orange383

Quote from: Lennard on February 02, 2021, 02:17:34 AM
Quote from: orange383 on February 01, 2021, 04:52:56 PM
Yes, he did. The right side quarter panel was to long. Also both rear valance corners needed extensive reshaping.

In this video he's explaining what metal work was done on my car.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfozgvRJduM

Thanks Lennard, I'll watch that later on today!

Lennard

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 02, 2021, 04:23:08 AM
I haven't seen the Lennard Charger in Chris's latest videos. Do you have the car now, Lennard?
Yes, it's in my garage. I'm going to finish it.

orange383

Ok here is what I have. As you can see the gap is a little more than 1/2 an inch but the corner piece has a curve on it which needs correcting and I plan on bringing that edge forwards until it meets with the quarter panel but first I will add the missing 1/2 inch to the rear quarter.

orange383

Spent an hour in the garage tonight. I've made my cut on both quarters and made the filler pieces. You can see I've clamped a copper bar behind the panel to hold the gap open 1/2" plus the thickness of the cutting disc.
Once tacked in I'll fold the new metal over bar.
I'll weld them in tomorrow!

Kern Dog