News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 dodge charger

Started by werner, January 20, 2021, 03:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werner

need to replace ball joints etc on front end. street driven (no track or autocross)
original 318 car now has 5spd 528 hemi

thinking upper control arms ? reinforce lower control arms. polurathane bushings and upsizing 318 torsion bars and front sway bar

what specs would a front end shop set up alignment ? would they even have access to old car specs ?

Anything else you can suggest ?

thanks
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

WHITE AND RED 69

You don't want to go off the old specs. They were meant for bias ply tires so they have no place for a driver on todays tires.

Definitely swap the torsion bars, sway bars, and get a great set of shocks to match for a nice cruiser. I'm a big fan of the tubular upper arms since they are designed for a better alignment so they are worth it to me.

Aim for -.5 camber, +3 to 5 degrees positive caster and a little toe in for a nice cruiser. A custom alignment shop should be able to dial it in but most will try to do stock specs so make sure they don't go that route.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

chargered

Sounds like you have a good strategy.  Firm Feel would have everything you need and they know Mopars really well.

375instroke

"Just a street car," I'd suggest no poly bushings other than for the sway bar, and the upper control arms if that's what they come with.  I don't know how much the Moog offset bushings give you.  The Firm Feel and QA1 upper arms say they add 4deg. of caster, so that's good.  A 1.04"-1.06" torsion bar and 1-1/8" sway bar, along with QA1 single adjustable shocks makes for a good handling car that's not rough or harsh feeling at all, and even with crappy BFG tires, my cars handle great, I think.  +4deg caster, or really the most you can get, -1/4deg camber, and 1/16" toe in.  I've run more negative camber, but the tires wear on the inside a bit.  Not enough to trash a tire that has plenty of tread on the outside still, just slightly noticeable, so it's your preference if you think it makes your car handle better.  The positive caster is the key, more so than camber.