News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Daytona clone project...

Started by KurtfromLaQuinta, January 26, 2021, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armor64

reminds me of the good old days on Mythbusters with the manhole cover wheel episode, good times.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: armor64 on May 28, 2021, 08:34:54 AM
reminds me of the good old days on Mythbusters with the manhole cover wheel episode, good times.
And with about the same amount of traction.  ;D
Mythbusters were great!

KurtfromLaQuinta

I was really concerned which way to go with the rear window plug. And then this happened...

70 sublime

But what are you going to use for the glass ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 19, 2021, 10:28:24 PM
But what are you going to use for the glass ??
Janak makes a composite piece that's the same as stock 500/ Daytona size.
Looking at that because I can run the glass straps easier that are required at Bonneville.
Nobody is making the original glass right now.
The guy that was making them as a side/ hobby project at his glass company in Los Angeles passed away about 2 years ago. And since then, nobody has started them up again.

aerolith

Super-Cool that someone is making PLUGS!

But without a glass infill its a bit 'chicken and egg' situation. (one can't exist without the other).

Folks like the 'Vega hatch' design as its very close and of course, there is glass available...
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: aerolith on June 20, 2021, 05:08:52 AM
Super-Cool that someone is making PLUGS!

But without a glass infill its a bit 'chicken and egg' situation. (one can't exist without the other).

Folks like the 'Vega hatch' design as its very close and of course, there is glass available...
I was looking at '67 Shiviit Impala rear window glass. It's big, fairly inexpensive and available.
BUT... being tempered, cutting it to size is very risky. At least that's what I've been told by experts.
So... I'm going to give Janik a call soon.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Still chipping away at the project.
A minor disaster happened a couple of weeks ago. Barrett, my son, was working on stuff in his shop and rolled the Daytona around for clearance. He parked it next to one of his roll up doors. He stopped for lunch in his house while he had a hose laying outside the door charged with water. It split open while he was in the house and sprayed water over the front end of the raw metal on the front of the car. And filled his garage with water. What were the odds? He dried it off immediately, but it instantly got a coating of surface rust. I'll wire wheel it off when I get a chance.
If we didn't live in the desert... I would have put a light coat of primer all over that bare metal. Of course, the body shop would have had to sand it all off anyways.
So, here we have what Barrett recently did mounting the new inner fender panels he fabbed up. Along with the hood hinge bracing. And the water job he did to the front of the car.  :icon_smile_big:

KurtfromLaQuinta

I was concerned about the roll cage interfering with the glove box door. It looks like it'll clear fine. BUT... In my parts pile I don't think I have one. My friend, Sean Machado told me that door was a one year only unit made of plastic. And he doesn't have one either.
So if I can't dig one up I'll just cover it up. Or make a shelf there with a healthy lip to help keep things there.  ;D

taxspeaker

Kurt are you going to carlisle. Come to see me at bldg t or survivor tent. Ive got 3 or 4 daytona rear glass i think and a nos plug. Plug not for sale but can give exact measurements
Bob

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 02, 2021, 10:10:09 PM
Kurt are you going to carlisle. Come to see me at bldg t or survivor tent. Ive got 3 or 4 daytona rear glass i think and a nos plug. Plug not for sale but can give exact measurements
Bob
Bob!
Nope not going to make it to Carlisle. I've never been there... yet.
Thanks for thinking of me. And for your offer. AND... I will keep in contact with you depending which way I'll go for the final pieces to the puzzle. It's nice to know there are some rear glass still out there .
My plug I ordered from Stevens Performance should be here in a week and a half... should.

KurtfromLaQuinta

I went up to Barrett's yesterday... pretty much a Saturday thing... or an any opportune time that comes up.
I worked on his '41 Power Wagon carb tuning, (https://www.ramchargercentral.com/threads/my-sons-41-power-wagon.163391/) while he started on the rear wheel tubs in the clone.
A while back I mentioned I purchased the newly minted AMD widened rear wheel tubs. Another thing that helps with time... by not just adding to the width of the stock tubs by using a strip of metal grafted into the cut out (mini-tubs).
I ended up helping him mocking them up. Many trips in and out of the truck area by both of us.

And here's a shot of the new one on the passenger side totally fitted ready for welding.
Compared to the stock one on the drivers side...

And, of course, we had to remove the hinge set up for the deck lid. Which will need to be modified for the shorted Daytona situation.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Finally got back to work on the project last weekend.
It's been miserably hot and humid for quite a long time.
Saturday it dried up at least. Still hot, but bearable with a swamp cooler on high.

My son Barrett dove into the left wheel tub. And tacked it into place after massaging it into place. He also tacked the right one in.

Next on the agenda... I need to take my fuel cell up to his shop so he/ we can start building the truck floor around it.
More pictures when it happens.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Today was mock up day for the fuel cell and pre cutting for the mounts.  Lots of thinking going on here.
This needs to happen to figure out the layout of the truck floor.

Ted from Steven's Performance called me yesterday. My window plug is done. But I'll have to wait a little longer for it. A fellow Mopar friend of his who lives near me is heading back there to deliver a car. To save a truck shipping fee... he thought it be best to wait for him to return with it. I agreed with that decision.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Lifsgrt

Hey, very nice project! I went with the Alter-K-Tion front on my Bonneville Daytona. Car drove straight. I have thouvht many times about the Schwartz Performance chassis, great choice! I look forward to hearing how it performs!
Best time 11.07@121

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: Lifsgrt on August 25, 2021, 10:37:21 AM
Hey, very nice project! I went with the Alter-K-Tion front on my Bonneville Daytona. Car drove straight. I have thouvht many times about the Schwartz Performance chassis, great choice! I look forward to hearing how it performs!
Hey. Thanks for noticing. i really like what you've done with your Daytona clone. And your exploits at Bonneville!
I'm going for a driver. I really want to enjoy this car. So it will be versatile.

Lifsgrt

FWIW, I put Lexan scratch resistant windows in my car from Pro Glass. The side windows including the vent windows fit very well put of the box. The windshield and back window (I think a Vega piece) also fit well, but are oversized so you have to cut them to size. Good quality stuff, just make sure you brace the windshield if going over 200mph! I have a 1970 glove box door I may noy be using if you need it. I plan to retrofit to 1969 dash pieces, which I also have.
Best time 11.07@121

Lifsgrt

I also recommend the A-pillar covers from DAYTONALO. They fit and look great!
Best time 11.07@121

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: Lifsgrt on August 26, 2021, 09:07:52 PM
FWIW, I put Lexan scratch resistant windows in my car from Pro Glass. The side windows including the vent windows fit very well put of the box. The windshield and back window (I think a Vega piece) also fit well, but are oversized so you have to cut them to size. Good quality stuff, just make sure you brace the windshield if going over 200mph! I have a 1970 glove box door I may noy be using if you need it. I plan to retrofit to 1969 dash pieces, which I also have.
Yes to the glove box cover!
I'll talk to you tomorrow. I did get your phone number.
I talked to Sean today about the window bracing... a must!  :icon_smile_big:

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: Lifsgrt on August 26, 2021, 09:09:23 PM
I also recommend the A-pillar covers from DAYTONALO. They fit and look great!
Thanks for that tip. I'm probably not going to need the A- pillar covers. I'm shaving off the drip rails to eliminate that drag there.
BUT... if that doesn't do the job... I will look into those covers. I've been watching that post already here.

KurtfromLaQuinta

I was looking for side view mirrors for quite some time. I didn't really like the stock '68- '70 Chargers ones. They just really look like early 60's leftovers.
It's hard to find mirrors with a flat bottom mount because that's what those Chargers need to fit on the tops of the doors.
I found ones that should work from 521 Restorations. They're for a 70-76 Dart, Duster, Demon and 70 B Body Mopars. I saved my search about a year ago and decided last week to check on them. It's a good thing I did. They showed they only had one set left!
And, I now know, parts that run out, aren't replaced very quickly these days.
I received them today. It's something I don't need right away... but when I do... at least I have them.

70 sublime

Ummm the 70 Charger had that type of door mirror as an option

I thought the base of the mount had a bit of an angle to it to fit on the second gen door vs the later style
Maybe take the one mirror without the remote cable and place it on the door to see how it sits
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 30, 2021, 11:32:28 PM
Ummm the 70 Charger had that type of door mirror as an option

I thought the base of the mount had a bit of an angle to it to fit on the second gen door vs the later style
Maybe take the one mirror without the remote cable and place it on the door to see how it sits
My '70 was a "500", 383 car. Nothing special there. And it had a set of the old style chrome mirrors when I aquired it. So my car didn't have that option.
So that explains in the listing for a '70 B Body.
And your right. There's a small angle to them. I was referring to most all cars running around today, mount to the sides of the doors. I was looking for a "modern day" replacement initially.

KurtfromLaQuinta

I've got most of the parts together for the steering.
I went with Flaming River. They have a real basic tilt column in various finishes. Way more Mopar friendly than others when it come to selection.
All I lack now is the shaft/ u joints down to the rack unit. That should be fairly cut and dry.