News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 Hemi Chicks Other Mopars

Started by 426HemiChick, March 30, 2021, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Hello Folks,                   30 March 2021

We are here because we found a great new home for our Hemi Daytona back in October 2020. We are Daytona-less now after 48 years.

What do we have remaining? A 1968 Hemi Road Runner, a 1969 440-6 Pack Super Bee and a 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie PU with the 5.7 Hemi; the latter is our daily driver. The RR has 4405 miles on the clock and the SB has 2681 on its. We do have a couple Ford products, an 87 Mustang Police Car with 000003.1 (not a typo) on the clock and a 2000 Crown Vic Interceptor.

Our cars are in Texas, at the moment; we're readying them for shipment home to Phoenix Arizona within the next couple weeks. Once we have them settled in there, we will begin the process of reassembling the RR and SB (they've been partially disassembled 52 and 53 years respectively).

This thread is intended to chronicle the process of returning the SB to OE and the RR to a fun driver, local car show attendee and street racer, if the latter is legal, which it is, isn't it?

Gotta get a few photos ready to get this thread off to a rolling start. Take care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Edit: 31 March 21 - Photos are posted further down this thread.
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Hemidoug

Welcome 426 Hemi Chick. Would love to see some pictures of the projects. I just finished a 440-6 71 R/T myself after a 15 year hiatus. Hope you marked all the boxes and bags!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Q5XX29

Count me as a forum member who is looking forward to seeing photos and reading about the progress of your projects, HemiChicks!

dakota_gt on Instagram

RallyeMike

May I mark my calendar with an approximate photo upload date?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Todd Wilson

426HemiChick

Hi Doug,                      30 March 2021

Right nice looking Charger you have there. Have to say, the best looking cars, in our opinion, to ever hit the highway are the Dodge Chargers from 68 - mid 70s.

My Partner is resizing the photos to fit the posting specs for this site. As soon as they are done, we'll have them up. They show the SB in full dirt mode. Was going to take her out of the garage today but didn't make it; job for tomorrow. As soon as the SB is clean the RR will be next then the 87 Stang and last but not least the CV.

One thing we're looking forward to is seeing how the SB looks when clean. Been a long time since we have seen her clean and shiny. We think she'll turn out well. Yes, she has a few dings acquired over the years. The worst is one of my own dong. I was in the attic above the garage working on a broken rafter using a bottle jack to jack up subject rafter. Jack slipped, fell through the drywall, landed on the side of the SB's roof just above the driver side rear wing window. Put a pretty good dent in it but should be fixable by a good body person.

The tires on all the Mopar's are new and only for transport purposes. The wheels are a hodgepodge of what we had available. They'll both get new wheels and tires, in the case of the SB, we need 5 stock steelies, red line tires and correct chrome lug nuts.

Still have 2 original 68 Hemi Road Runner stock wheels. Her wheels will be a nice set of slotted maqs and a set of bad ass tires. She can never legitimately be returned to a matching numbers car. Too many mods preclude it even though she has her original engine and transmission. Problem is I ground the serial numbers off the block and transmission in 69. Bad move on my part. Back then who would have "Thunk" it.

Thanks Doug and others for running interference for us. Didn't start this thread to cause problems. We sold our Hemi Daytona so there's no reason to place a thread on the Aero Board. This seemed to be the correct venue for us.

As soon as the photos are finished they'll be posted, hopefully today, tomorrow at the latest. My Partner is the Guru in most things. I defer to her; She's the genius and handles the intellectual aspects, I was a cop, I handle the physical Shit, you know.

As I was sitting here finishing this post, I was informed the photos, 4 of them, are ready to post. They, whomever "they" happens to be, say: "Timing is everything." So here they are, enjoy, more will be coming in the next couple weeks and throughout the process of bringing them back to real life.

Thank You and Best Always to Everyone on this site.

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

70 sublime

Still have 2 original 68 Hemi Road Runner stock wheels. Her wheels will be a nice set of slotted maqs and a set of bad ass tires. She can never legitimately be returned to a matching numbers car. Too many mods preclude it even though she has her original engine and transmission. Problem is I ground the serial numbers off the block and transmission in 69. Bad move on my part. Back then who would have "Thunk" it.

Um why would you grind the numbers off ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

426HemiChick

Quote from: Hemidoug on March 30, 2021, 05:03:01 PM
Welcome 426 Hemi Chick. Would love to see some pictures of the projects. I just finished a 440-6 71 R/T myself after a 15 year hiatus. Hope you marked all the boxes and bags!

Hi Doug,                  30 March 2021

We did, trouble now is most are unreadable. We'll figure it out, just may take a bit of time. Photos have been posted above this post.

Thanks Doug.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 30, 2021, 09:18:16 PM

Um why would you grind the numbers off ?

Hi Sublime,                   30 March 2021

I have asked myself the same question numerous times in the last 30 years. I was installing the 68 Hemi and its tran in a 69 for racing in NHRA drags. Being a Neophyte I thought, at that time (69), a 68 engine would disqualify the car. Little did I know.

Later I learned the ramifications of what I had done causing much regret. It's not a total loss, we can play with the RR, have fun and not have to worry that we are risking an extremely valuable asset.

We sure wouldn't recommend anyone copying that decision.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Hemidoug

Hey, no problem...I'm all about the Mopars, don't matter who else likes them. Nice ride! I miss my Hemi, but not keeping up on it. Good luck, can't wait to see more.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 426HemiChick on March 30, 2021, 03:32:32 PM
Hello Folks,                   30 March 2021

We are here because we found a great new home for our Hemi Daytona back in October 2020. We are Daytona-less now after 48 years.

What do we have remaining? A 1968 Hemi Road Runner, a 1969 440-6 Pack Super Bee and a 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie PU with the 5.7 Hemi; the latter is our daily driver. The RR has 4405 miles on the clock and the SB has 2681 on its. We do have a couple Ford products, an 87 Mustang Police Car with 000003.1 (not a typo) on the clock and a 2000 Crown Vic Interceptor.

Our cars are in Texas, at the moment; we're readying them for shipment home to Phoenix Arizona within the next couple weeks. Once we have them settled in there, we will begin the process of reassembling the RR and SB (they've been partially disassembled 52 and 53 years respectively).

This thread is intended to chronicle the process of returning the SB to OE and the RR to a fun driver, local car show attendee and street racer, if the latter is legal, which it is, isn't it?

Gotta get a few photos ready to get this thread off to a rolling start. Take care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Chicks,

I'll be watching your progress, should be interesting.

You might even inspire me to get something done on my Daytona clone. :cheers:

If your you need some local help with your cars, I have a friend in Wickenberg that owns a restoration shop.  :Twocents:

www.erlingerrestorations.com

426HemiChick

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 31, 2021, 04:54:13 AM

Chicks,

I'll be watching your progress, should be interesting.

You might even inspire me to get something done on my Daytona clone. :cheers:

If your you need some local help with your cars, I have a friend in Wickenberg that owns a restoration shop.  :Twocents:

www.erlingerrestorations.com

Hi Daytona,                        31 March 2021

Thanks, just may take you up on the offer; Wickenburg is in Maricopa county, which is the same county Phoenix is in so it should be an easy visit. Assume you're in Arizona as well.

Tried the link to your friends site; the browser in the PC I'm using is IE 11, no longer supported by that site nor by MS, which is OK as we have a newer PC that's going to take this one's place once the relocation is complete. The house is almost finished, just minor cleanup, finish packing 60+ years of STUFF into boxes, loading it into the storage container in the driveway, shipping it to Phoenix and shipping the cars, the latter of which, should be completed within the next two weeks We want the cars cleaned up before they are loaded onto the transporter. Saves the paint from being damaged and makes any shipping damage easy to spot.

Take care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

timmycharger

:popcrn: Wow! look at those cars!  Looking forward to more! Thank you for sharing  :2thumbs:

tan top

:scope:   :coolgleamA: looking forward to seeing  & hearing more about your mopars when you get time ! 

thanks for sharing (426 HC )   :cheers: :2thumbs:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

426HemiChick

Quote from: Todd Wilson on March 30, 2021, 08:39:19 PM
:popcrn:

Hi Todd,                     31 March 2021

If'n you have an extra bag of popcorn, would appreciate you sending it our way. That is an impressive line up of Mopar History.

I grew up in all the 40's and 50's. I remember the Mopar's of the post WW II era. They weren't stylish but they sure had lots of room inside, enough to live in, and were built like Sherman Tanks.

Thanks for the post.

Take care.

Best Always,

426  Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: RallyeMike on March 30, 2021, 07:33:18 PM
May I mark my calendar with an approximate photo upload date?

Hi Mike,                   31 March 2021

No need to mark your calendar, they is: "Done did."

Take care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi-hampton

Would love to see more pics of those 2 Cars :o :2thumbs: LEON.

doctor4766

Hi Christine.
I don't post a lot but I do like to follow along with a good rebuild thread.
Looking forward to watching your progress on the vehicles.

Paul
Gotta love a '69

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 31, 2021, 04:44:18 PM
Would love to see more pics of those 2 Cars :o :2thumbs: LEON.

Hello Hemi-Hampton,                  31 March 2021

We will, oblige you though it will take time. We were going to move the SB outside yesterday but ran into other issues so we delayed it until today. If you're from this area of Texas then you have experienced the wind that blows through here almost daily. Aside from the wind, it's cold, 69 degrees f. Didn't take it out today, windy and too cold for my liking.

Did do a bit of cleanup on the SB inside the garage. Going to take a couple photos to compare with what we posted yesterday. Can't believe the crud that was on the front end, especially the hood.

Pushing the SBs bath to tomorrow. If'n it doesn't happen then, it won't happen until Saturday. Have an Endoscopy Friday afternoon, which puts me out of commission for the day . . . . unless . . . . they allow me to do it sans anesthesia.

I've already communicated my wishes to the Doctor. I hope he agrees to do it with me being conscious without any sedation. I don't like having my brain messed with, it's already messed up enough from my time traveling on a space ship.

Plans are to photo document the two cars from now until they are 100% functional and in the SBs case, looking like it did when new. The RR will not look OE, just close with some neat mods to make it an attractive street rod that's fast.

The RRs third member is an 8 3/4 Posi with 4.89 gear set. This member is in the SB but will be swapped with the 9 3/4 Dana 4.10 that is currently in the RR. I doubt the 4.89 will make any sense in the RR when it's a street rod. All we want for the RR is to be hot looking, sounding and fast enough to be Bad Ass. Any and all suggestions are welcome, it's been a long long time since we were involved at this level, or any level for that matter.

The two photos are here at the end of this post.

Took my shower and have had supper with Dena.

Take Care Hemi.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

HANDM

Hey Chicks!
Glad all is well and you are getting the cars in order.  I'm looking forward to more pics.

Getting to work on the Mopars is tough, I know as I have two awesome ones that I swear will get some long overdue love this spring/ summer!

426HemiChick

Quote from: HANDM on March 31, 2021, 10:12:49 PM
Hey Chicks!
Glad all is well and you are getting the cars in order.  I'm looking forward to more pics.

Getting to work on the Mopars is tough, I know as I have two awesome ones that I swear will get some long overdue love this spring/ summer!

Hi Frank,                   31 March 2021

Thanks for posting. We're getting things sorted out, just taking longer than we had hoped. 60+ years of stuff to organize, pack and move is a big task. Had no idea of what all is here. I find things I bought 20+ years ago and it's still in the bag/sack I brought it from the store in.

We have the house in Phoenix, closed on it 04 February 2021, almost two months ago and I'm still here in Texas. Dena had the house painted in and out, tile and carpet cleaned and new appliances, so we're all set, just have to get the pups and me there, and of course all the stuff we're packing up and shipping. Think maybe a giant garage sale is in our future.

Our current priority is to get the cars to Phoenix within the next two weeks. If the weather cooperates we can get them out of the garage clean them up and have them ready to load onto a fully enclosed transport. We have four going by transport and one being driven, the 09 Ram Hemi PU. Has room for the pups and can pull a trailer.

Let us know if and when you and your family will be in Arizona, we'd sure love to meet up with you folks.

Thanks for posting, glad you are here. Take Care Frank.

Best Always

Dena and Chrisitne

426HemiChick

Quote from: doctor4766 on March 31, 2021, 06:28:59 PM
Hi Christine.
I don't post a lot but I do like to follow along with a good rebuild thread.
Looking forward to watching your progress on the vehicles.

Paul

Hi Paul,                   01 April 2021

Welcome to this thread. Hope we can make our rebuild journey enjoyable. It'll be a fair sized task but Dena has a large fully equipped shop with everything we need or could want so the task will be easier than it was back in 68 and 69, working in the driveway with the cars up on blocks while lying on the ground with transmissions on my chest and lifting them into place w/o help. Big difference between 28 and 80. I always thought one grew stronger with age; truth of the matter is I did: stronger . . . . smelling.

She also has a couple body/paint shops that do excellent work so we have lots of expertise in the sheet metal and paint area available.

These days I need things like car hoists, transmission jacks, dollies, sky cranes, impact wrenches, and new knees, the OEM units are on the skids but still serviceable.

Looks like you have a nice stable of interesting cars. Hope to see more of them and learn more about them.

Take Care Paul

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

09 April 2021

Been busy with moving and other issues unrelated to the move, which in itself is a much larger task than expected. It'll get done, just don't know "zackly" when.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Q5XX29

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 09, 2021, 05:26:30 AM
                             09 April 2021

Been busy with moving and other issues unrelated to the move, which in itself is a much larger task than expected. It'll get done, just don't know "zackly" when.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Ha, I like the time stamp of your post. Was this posted at 4:26 intentionally?  :cheers:
dakota_gt on Instagram

426HemiChick

Quote from: Q5XX29 on April 09, 2021, 08:53:24 AM

Ha, I like the time stamp of your post. Was this posted at 4:26 intentionally?  :cheers:

Hi Q5XX29,                     10 April 2021

Just a fluke of where I am and my time zone. I'm currently in CDT and operate on MST which is my home time zone in Arizona. That puts me two hours behind CDT, or more simply on California time. We do not have Daylight Savings Time in Phoenix.

I checked my profile and found I had forgotten to change the time offset to -2. It was still -1, which I should have changed the night DST went into affect.

No brilliance on my part, just a neat happenstance. Thanks for the compliment, we do appreciate it. Next time you look at the post, it will most likely still be 4:26. When I look at it, it is 2:46 due to our -2 hour offset. I know, confusing; goes with the territory. This particular post shows 15:38:48 when we see it. What others see depends upon their time-zone and a setting in their profile.

Once the relocation of all the stuff here has been completed, we will be operating from Phoenix permanently. This has been and is a much larger project than either of us realized.

Thanks and take care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

PS:
12 April 2021, 02:30:00 - If intentional we shoot for the seconds to be :00