News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 Hemi Chicks Other Mopars

Started by 426HemiChick, March 30, 2021, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                     21 April 2021

Took a bit of a timeout from relocation packing and photographed the RR's fender tag. There are three shots of it, all look clear. We cropped the photos so as to make them easily read.

If my memory is working correctly, tomorrow will be the 53rd anniversary of buying her from Westside Chrysler Plymouth in Akron, Ohio.

Our 68 Plymouth manual has been packed for shipment home so we'll leave it to you folks that are experts in decoding them. All we can tell you is it's a 1968 Hemi RR, Auto Tran with external cooler, 8 3/4 3:23 Posi (currently 4:89), 15 in Goodyear Red-Line Weenies, Dog Dish Caps, Bench Seat F&R, Black interior, Upgraded interior, Blackout hood treatment, AM radio and Tor-Red exterior and has 004405 miles on the clock.

Prior to storing the RR and SB in 1969, they were coated/sprayed with  "Cosmoline Rust-Veto," a clear waxy rust preventative. Not as messy as the tan/brown stuff. Seems to have worked, the cars are coated with it; comes off easily.

Thanks in advance to whomever translates our tag.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

moparstuart

It was built on or about  April fools day , same day my 68 charger was built  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

HANDM

WOW! That's probably the cleanest fender tag I've ever seen....
One day I'll see it in person :cheers:

426HemiChick

Hi Stuart, Frank,                22 April 2021

That fender tag doesn't have the vin code on it. It looks more like an option/body tag. There's no vin and the last six digits do not match the six digit vin number on the dash, which is RM21J8A266061; the last six digit number on the fender tag, 280137,  looks like a production sequence number. I have looked around under the hood and there isn't any other tag. Have a feeling the normal fender tag was lost/damaged/destroyed and they substituted the trim/option tag, or whatever it is.

I never looked at the fender tag until the day I took the photos of it. There is only one fender tag and it doesn't look like what I'm used to seeing.

The RR was bought new and we are the only owners it has ever had. Hope someone can shed some light on this strange turn. Aside from that, it's been in storage for 53 years. If my memory is correct (Ha, that'll be the day) the only time it has ever experienced rain was April and May 1968.

I tried to get to the SB's Fender tag but couldn't risk damaging the lift off hood. Seems as though the hood has gained weight since the last time I lifted it off solo. Can't figure out how that happened. Will try to get a friend to help tomorrow . . . . if I can find one.

Hope someone has an answer on the RR's fender tag.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

70 sublime

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 22, 2021, 09:49:04 PM
Hi Stuart, Frank,                22 April 2021

That fender tag doesn't have the vin code on it. It looks more like an option/body tag. There's no vin and the last six digits do not match the six digit vin number on the dash, which is RM21J8A266061; the last six digit number on the fender tag, 280137,  looks like a production sequence number. I have looked around under the hood and there isn't any other tag. Have a feeling the normal fender tag was lost/damaged/destroyed and they substituted the trim/option tag, or whatever it is.

I never looked at the fender tag until the day I took the photos of it. There is only one fender tag and it doesn't look like what I'm used to seeing.

The RR was bought new and we are the only owners it has ever had. Hope someone can shed some light on this strange turn. Aside from that, it's been in storage for 53 years. If my memory is correct (Ha, that'll be the day) the only time it has ever experienced rain was April and May 1968.

I tried to get to the SB's Fender tag but couldn't risk damaging the lift off hood. Seems as though the hood has gained weight since the last time I lifted it off solo. Can't figure out how that happened. Will try to get a friend to help tomorrow . . . . if I can find one.

Hope someone has an answer on the RR's fender tag.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

The production number on a 68 fender tag is not the VIN of the car
The only way to show that tag belongs with that VIN is the build sheet as it will have both # on the same piece of paper

The number on your fender tag should be the same number on the rad support
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

426HemiChick

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 22, 2021, 10:37:23 PM

The only way to show that tag belongs with that VIN is the build sheet as it will have both # on the same piece of paper

Hi 70 Sublime,                   22 April 2021

If we understand correctly, the 1968 B Bodies have a different fender tag than the 1969 B cars.

At one time we had the build sheet; where it's at is anyone's guess. Hopefully, it will turn up during the move home to Phoenix. Have a feeling it is here somewhere.

Here's the number we found on the radiator support:  A8R280137

It was a bear to find as it was between the Rad support and the radiator, which had to be removed to see it. So we removed the engine and the radiator to get a nice clear view of the those numbers.

As fortune would have it, back in 1968 I removed the radiator and the Hemi engine in anticipation of someday needing a clear view of those numbers. You have played an important part in the history and story of our 1968 Hemi RR. We thank you very much.

All joking aside, we do thank you for the info you provided here. We would never have guessed that there would be such a drastic difference in tags from 68 to 69.

We may have the build sheet. I did find it when I removed the interior in 1968 (a story unto itself), it was stuck in the spring of one of the seats. Since I'm sort of a pack rat when it comes to mechanical things and their accouterments, that old build sheet should be here somewhere.

Since that tag has the production number, the Rad support has the production # and the dash board VIN number is there, I would assume that only the build sheet verifies this car as being the real deal?

If things work out tomorrow, we should be able to get the hood off the SB; if that happens we'll photograph and post it here. Right now we are putting the bumpers on both the cars. We are hoping they will be on their way to Phoenix next week. Dena is getting the shop ready so we can house all four of them there while we work on getting the SB back to OEM quality and the RR in fighting trim. The RR will never be possible to return to OEM as I mentioned in an earlier post. The SB should be relatively easy and since it has only 002681 miles on it, it may be a desirable collectable.

The RR will be our Sonic Drive-In, local car show Queen and Street Racer toy. I can see it now, 80+ year old wench arrested for street racing a 53 year old Plymouth Hemi Road Runner. Best we not leave the 4:89 gear set in; a 2:73 would put us at an advantage top end wise.

Thanks again, we do appreciate your help.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

moparstuart

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 23, 2021, 02:17:50 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on April 22, 2021, 10:37:23 PM

Hi 70 Sublime,                   22 April 2021

If we understand correctly, the 1968 B Bodies have a different fender tag than the 1969 B cars.

At one time we had the build sheet; where it's at is anyone's guess. Hopefully, it will turn up during the move home to Phoenix. Have a feeling it is here somewhere.

Here's the number we found on the radiator support:  A8R280137

It was a bear to find as it was between the Rad support and the radiator, which had to be removed to see it. So we removed the engine and the radiator to get a nice clear view of the those numbers.

As fortune would have it, back in 1968 I removed the radiator and the Hemi engine in anticipation of someday needing a clear view of those numbers. You have played an important part in the history and story of our 1968 Hemi RR. We thank you very much.

All joking aside, we do thank you for the info you provided here. We would never have guessed that there would be such a drastic difference in tags from 68 to 69.

We may have the build sheet. I did find it when I removed the interior in 1968 (a story unto itself), it was stuck in the spring of one of the seats. Since I'm sort of a pack rat when it comes to mechanical things and their accouterments, that old build sheet should be here somewhere.

Since that tag has the production number, the Rad support has the production # and the dash board VIN number is there, I would assume that only the build sheet verifies this car as being the real deal?

If things work out tomorrow, we should be able to get the hood off the SB; if that happens we'll photograph and post it here. Right now we are putting the bumpers on both the cars. We are hoping they will be on their way to Phoenix next week. Dena is getting the shop ready so we can house all four of them there while we work on getting the SB back to OEM quality and the RR in fighting trim. The RR will never be possible to return to OEM as I mentioned in an earlier post. The SB should be relatively easy and since it has only 002681 miles on it, it may be a desirable collectable.

The RR will be our Sonic Drive-In, local car show Queen and Street Racer toy. I can see it now, 80+ year old wench arrested for street racing a 53 year old Plymouth Hemi Road Runner. Best we not leave the 4:89 gear set in; a 2:73 would put us at an advantage top end wise.

Thanks again, we do appreciate your help.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Correct  68 tags are totally different    
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

426HemiChick

Hi Moparstuart,                    23 April 2021

53 years ago the RR came into our possession. Don't think we ever paid any attention to the fender tag. Never really paid any attention to the tags on any of the cars until we had an offer for all of them in 2006. Only looked at the Daytona's because it was the only one with easy access, the other two had mountains of stuff piled on them. When I opened the hood on the RR the other day, I couldn't really see the tag. As I mentioned the RR & SB were coated/sprayed with Cosmoline Rust-Veto in 1969. 50 + years of dust and grime settled on the cars, The tags were unreadable until I used a cloth with a bit of kerosene on it to wipe the RR's tag. Sure ain't no rust there.

Will try to get the SB's hood off, after the front bumper is on, and will clean its tag. I have seen where it's supposed to be but couldn't see through the dirt.

Thanks for the enlightenment, only took 53 years. I was 27 when the RR was bought, fresh from living and working in Japan for a year. The next year went back for three more years, which culminated in our acquiring the Hemi Daytona and the 70 Hemi Cuda. Hated the latter but wish we had kept it. The Daytona is and always has been our favorite, she was the best runner of the four, had her at 140 on I-75 in the UP of Michigan summer of 1974 on our way to Thessalon, Ontario. At that speed she felt like she was glued to the highway. Still love and miss her, but happy she is now Bob's Girl; we know she is safe, has a good home, lots of siblings to keep her company and a loving Parent and family. Couldn't ask for more.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

tan top

not an expert on 68 fender tags
 await to be corrected on anything  :yesnod:  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

426HemiChick

Hi Tan Top,                  24 April 2021

Wow, that is an impressive bit of detective work you did and nicely laid out. Now we hope we can locate the build sheet. Not that it will make the RR worth more.

It'll never be original what with my stupid doings serial number wise to the engine and transmission, To make matters worse I altered the casting date on the engine block. Talk about someone being a Dumb Shit, I get an Oscar for those brilliant moves; hey, I was only 28 at the time, still just a kid, still one at heart.

All is not lost, it'll still make a great toy.

Thank you Tan Top, we appreciate your help.

Take Care.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                       25 April 2021

Today we reinstalled the bumpers on both cars, Front on the SB, which always had the rear on, both front and rear for the RR. Got some bad news, the ass-holes where it was stored from August 69 to Summer 1972, lifted the RR and moved it with a fork lift, denting the fuel tank, which we already knew, and bending the rear frame rail where the rear bumper attaches, which we didn't know about until today. Unfortunately, it's a bit late, about 49 years late, to file a claim. We did get a new fuel tank but didn't notice the damage to the frame.

Don't think it's major damage but it should never have happened. As far as we're concerned, it is major damage. For a clue where it was stored think Yellow and Sailing Ship. It happened in Akron, Ohio by a major storage and moving company.

The saving grace is Dena also has a body shop that comes highly recommended for, you guessed it, "Frame Straightening."

We had the hood off the SB Six-Pack. today. The fender tag is a story unto itself. It seems to be a combination of what the RR's is like and what Bob's Hemi Daytona is like. The screws are "Chrome or Stainless Steel, no sign of rust or paint on them, The paint on the tag is almost non existent. My plan is to remove the tag, clean the crud off and clean the space it is currently covering, The "Rust-Veto" seems to have protected the factory paint on the body but not the tag.

Our plan is to wash the SB in the garage and send the RR with all it's lovey dirt intact. A real Garage Find. Plan to call the car hauler this evening and arrange for the 4 cars to be shipped ASAP. Once they are on their way to Phoenix, it'll be easier to finish up the move home. Have had offers to buy this place, told the last folks they have until tomorrow to commit/ink the deal, else it is going to be listed with a Real-Estate broker.

I want to get home; most of my life has been spent traveling, living/working in either foreign countries or states other than my home state. Quite frankly, it was enjoyable but no longer. The songs "Detroit City," 500 Miles From Home," and "How I Got To Memphis," sung by Bobby Bare, sum it up very well. Just substitute "Phoenix" for "Memphis."  There's more to life than "Adventures on the Road;" "How I Got To Memphis" sums it up better than anything I could say or write.

As soon as Dena has the photos sized for posting, we'll post them here, probably tomorrow at the earliest.

Take care Folks,

Beat Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  27 April 2021

Good News: Transport lined up for the four cars, should be on their way Friday of this week.

Had my last/2nd Covid inoculation yesterday. Left arm a tad annoying but nothing to keep me from heading home to Phoenix.

Best Always,

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

UPDATE:             28 April 2021

Call from Transport broker: Hauler may be here a day early, like tomorrow. Lots to do.

Best Always

Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                     28 April 2021

Super Bee Fender Tag Photo is here. As you can see the tag looks quite bad but the area surrounding it looks good. The amount of crud that was on that area was significant. No idea what it was/is.

Not going to bother removing it now, too close to transport time.

Hope someone can decipher the tag.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

tan top

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 24, 2021, 02:07:26 PM
Hi Tan Top,                  24 April 2021

Wow, that is an impressive bit of detective work you did and nicely laid out. Now we hope we can locate the build sheet. Not that it will make the RR worth more.

It'll never be original what with my stupid doings serial number wise to the engine and transmission, To make matters worse I altered the casting date on the engine block. Talk about someone being a Dumb Shit, I get an Oscar for those brilliant moves; hey, I was only 28 at the time, still just a kid, still one at heart.

All is not lost, it'll still make a great toy.

Thank you Tan Top, we appreciate your help.

Take Care.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

:cheers:  no problem ! glad to help  :2thumbs:

never really read up on / studied lynch road fender tags, seem a bit confusing to me  :scratchchin:

sorry ive no idea what  Gate , Base , Line  Sequence means ?

i await to be corrected on anything   :yesnod: :cheers:

vin  will read   WM21M9A261270   the M engine code  means 440 six pack
All A12 cars had E63 383HP engine code on the fender tag ,

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

426HemiChick

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 28, 2021, 06:20:36 PM
426  Born on hemi day  :2thumbs:

Hi Sublime,                    29 April 2021

Hemi Day, Ironic and . . . . Yay!!! Wish we had a buck for every time I have regretted not ordering the 426 Hemi instead of the 440 Six-Pack. Would have loved having 4 Hemi's.

Our current plans are to return the SB Six-Pack to as original as possible. We'll start with the 87 Mustang Police car as it should require the least amount of effort to return to original. All it needs is a new fuel pump and tank, which we already have and brake work. The SB will be second then the RR, which will require significantly more effort.

All four cars should be home in Phoenix by next Monday.

This relocation is taking more time than I ever imagined.

Thanks for the help.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: tan top on April 28, 2021, 08:35:41 PM

never really read up on / studied lynch road fender tags, seem a bit confusing to me  :scratchchin:

Hi Tan Top,                    29 April 2021

Thanks for the decode. Wouldn't have a clue where to find a reference that would explain it. Our 69 Dodge factory service manual didn't help at all. Your graphics of the decode is impressive and a big help.

We wish we knew why the fender tag looks so bad. Whatever got on it must have been caustic. Kerosene didn't phase it and the major crud was water soluble. Essentially, 53 years worth. Don't have time to remove the tag and clean it and the area where it resides. That'll have to wait until we all are in Phoenix.

Take Care Tan Top, and thanks again,

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

tan top

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 29, 2021, 05:22:43 AM
Quote from: tan top on April 28, 2021, 08:35:41 PM

Hi Tan Top,                    29 April 2021

Thanks for the decode. Wouldn't have a clue where to find a reference that would explain it. Our 69 Dodge factory service manual didn't help at all. Your graphics of the decode is impressive and a big help.

We wish we knew why the fender tag looks so bad. Whatever got on it must have been caustic. Kerosene didn't phase it and the major crud was water soluble. Essentially, 53 years worth. Don't have time to remove the tag and clean it and the area where it resides. That'll have to wait until we all are in Phoenix.

Take Care Tan Top, and thanks again,

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

:2thumbs:  your welcome :cheers:

the rusty fender tag  ! don't quote me on this !  pretty sure ive read some where ( could of been this site or the old one )  Lynch road fender tags were hung inside the car  from the roof  near where in interior mirror goes & or on the steering column support bracket , on a piece of thin wire. when the bodies were getting primer & paint, they  would get a dusting not a full coat. the edges / sides  of the digits may well have not got hardly any primer or paint , depending who ever was painting etc &  how /where it was hanging.  i think this is why i have seen unrestored lynch road cars with  or lightly painted / poor top coat coverage on fender tags ,even bare &  rusty  :shruggy:.
 ever tried to paint something like a fender tag  hanging from one length of wire , with out holding the opposite end , is a nightmare like a kite in a tornado , with pressured air  primer paint coming out the gun !
i think all the other assembly plants used the same or a variation of what hamtramck done.
for the E series 69 model hamtramck  attach the fender tag to designated location with one phillips screw on the left side , then bent  / lifted up the opposite side to allow some paint to get underneath . after the painting process was completed , the other phillips screw was installed. thats the reason you see all 69 hamtramck tags with one painted phillips screw & one bare steel .
i await to be corrected on any of this  :cheers: :yesnod:

Charger Stuff 

hemigeno

If you're interested, there's a couple of websites you might check out for (tons of) information about your SuperBee:

The A12 Registry:
http://sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com/index.html

I looked, and your car is not in the registry yet.

The A12 Forum:
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl

Some of the members there are also DC.com members, including Dave (the Admin/Owner).  I have learned a LOT about details and parts for '69 B-Bodies from the A12 guys over the years.

:cheers:

426HemiChick

Hi Tan Top, Hemigeno,                   01 May 2021

Thank you both for all the information; we do appreciate it.

Our 1968 Hemi RR, 1969-1/2 440 Six-Pack SB, 1987 Mustang Police Car and 2000 Ford Interceptor left for Phoenix yesterday afternoon, Friday 30 April 2021. They are scheduled to arrive at Dena's shop tomorrow (Sunday) morning around 0900 hours MST. We are making progress and hopefully will be in Phoenix in toto by end of May. Still a huge amount of stuff here in Texas that needs to be transported. Fortunately, the cars are no longer a stumbling block to our relocation.

Do have some photos of the loading process. They are traveling in a fully enclosed hard sided trailer that holds six vehicles, all going to the Phoenix area. Scott, the driver, was a tremendous help in getting the cars out and into the transport trailer. We can't thank him enough.

Photos will be posted in a few days; Dena has work to do to get the shop completely ready for their arrival. Once the cars are secured inside the shop, she'll have time to resize the photos for posting on this site.

Thanks everyone, will be back in a couple days. Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                 02 May 2021

Just received a message from Dena, the cars are at Her shop, She and Scott are working on car 3, the SB.

UPDATE:

All four cars are home in Phoenix Arizona. Now all I have to do is get the rest of the stuff here in Texas packed and shipped, then it'll be my turn to head home for good. I'll miss my friends here in Texas but I want to be Home.

Photos will be forthcoming in a few days.

Take care folks and thanks.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

HANDM

Safe travels and looking forward to the cars in their new habitat!

426HemiChick

Quote from: HANDM on May 02, 2021, 07:42:12 PM
Safe travels and looking forward to the cars in their new habitat!

Hi Frank,                    02 May 2021

Dena showed me the photos she took of the cars in their new home; I swear they were smiling. Dena's excited about us getting them back together and running and so am I. They have a nice home with lots of room and all the tools and equipment one could want.

We were extremely lucky in finding a fantastic Transporter and Auto Shipping Broker to handle our project. The Broker is a lady friend of a friend who recommended her. We gave her the details of what we needed and within 24 hours she had a Transporter that met our specs and has an impeccable record. The driver, Scott, helped us move the cars from the garage to the staging area and into position to winch them aboard. The Interceptor was driven on, the RR, SB and Stang were assisted aboard; they are a bit more mature than the interceptor.

I really have to get my buns in gear NOW and finish packaging the stuff going to Phoenix. Having a difficult time wrapping my mind around the quantity of stuff we have here, and I'm not talking about furniture; construction tools and supplies, car stuff, some airplane items, yes, we did have a real airplane in this place at one time. Please don't ask me why because I'm not sure I know.

Thanks Frank, Dena and I are looking forward to seeing and spending time with you folks in the not too distant future.

Take care.

Best Always

Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: HANDM on April 22, 2021, 10:49:22 AM
WOW! That's probably the cleanest fender tag I've ever seen....
One day I'll see it in person :cheers:

Hi Frank,                02 May 2021

Yes, and you'll get to drive it as well; we're looking forward to that day.

Best Always

Dena and Christine