News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 Hemi Chicks Other Mopars

Started by 426HemiChick, March 30, 2021, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Hi Clint,          06 June 2023

Here I am, five days out from surgery. My pain level is difficult to describe due to it coming from multiple sources. The best that I can tell is the majority of it is coming from the damage done by the Pneumatic Tourniquet (Bier Block) they place on the Thigh to supposedly limit blood loss. Depending on whose data you read/believe, it causes more blood loss.

Everything I have read indicates it is for the surgeons benefit in that it improves their view of the surgical field.

Whatever the case, it is the most painful part of this surgery. Some Surgeons use it and others don't. My leg is so bruised that it will take a long time healing. I'll try and get some photos to post.

I initially decided to play the tough role and soon realized I needed something more than Tylenol. Moved up a bit to Tramadol, an opoopid, so I could sleep. I waived the white flag when I figured out I wasn't as tough as I thought I was; guess I'm just a "Chicken Shit."

Did my first rehab yesterday. Wasn't bad but wouldn't want it everyday either. For the next/right knee surgery I'm going to talk to the surgeon to see if we can eliminate the tourniquet. There are numerous Surgeons that have given up on them just for the very reason I have stated.

14 June is my first post-op. It's at 0730 Wednesday morning, the only appointment I could get sans Physicians Assistant. Prefer talking with the Doctor instead of some assistant, I want answers, not opinions.

Thanks Clint, Best Always
Christine
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,           09 June 2023

Eight days post surgery. I was going to post photos of my leg, which looks like it was beaten with a baseball bat. It's a rainbow of weird colors, green, purple, yellow . . . .  colors I have no name for. Think I'll forgo the photos, don't want to dissuade anyone from getting surgery they may need.

Things are getting better though more slowly than I had hoped. Taking into account my age (83) and physical condition I'm probably on track. I also realize this dilemma is MY Fault and am now paying the price for my more youthful indiscretions.

Have PT today, will wear long pants so my beat up leg won't scare off would be candidates for knee replacement.

One thing for certain, I won't be having the right knee done before my High School Reunion 22 September 2023. I should be able to hobble along on one good knee and its beat-up companion, the RIGHT, another candidate for replacement.

Bit of hindsight, if you you need your knees replaced, don't wait until you're as old as I am. Younger heals faster and better than OLD.

If it weren't for Dena, I'd be in a world of hurt. I don't know how she has been able to put up with my BS these past couple of weeks. I have been a real Bitch. Sorry Dear and Thank You from the Bottom Of My Heart.

Enough knee crap for awhile. When there's something news worthy I'll be back.

Thank You All

Best Always
Christine
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

held1823

Just now came across this. Glad to see it went well and hope the recovery exceeds expectations. Propofol is a popular drink where I work. Insane how something can send you off to dreamland in a matter of seconds, isn't it.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Hi Ernie,        10 June 2023

Thanks for posting. Things are moving along OK I guess. Won't know for certain until I see the Knee surgeon Wednesday morning for my 2 week Post Op. Have to do this once more on the Right side. Wished someone would have told me that what I was doing was wrecking my knees. Had they done so, I doubt that I would have payed any attention.

You are right about Propofol, a drug mostly abused by Doctors and others that have access to it. Think Interns have a high rate of usage.

Personally, I don't care to be anesthetized, but there are times when you don't have a choice. Hope when I get the second knee done that will be the last of this issue. Didn't realize the pain involved with this surgery.

Hope all is well with you, your family and Daytona. I bet it'll be a show stopper. Looking forward to the day it's complete.

Take Care
Best Always
Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              15 June 2023

It's the day after my 2 week post op and 7th rehab. I have to say this is the first night/wakeup without bothersome pain and restlessness. No drugs taken before going to bed, slept about 6 hrs and had to get up for a "P" break then back to sleep for another 2+ hours.

Finally to the point where I'm happy I had the surgery. The pain is not excruciating, just annoying and fairly constant. Most of the bruising is gone and the leg is looking pretty much normal.

The Doc and I had a fairly lengthy discussion on the process. My biggest complaint was the use of a tourniquet on my leg as it caused most of the bruising and ultimate pain. He explained due to my age, the knee being cemented in-place, he needed a clear view and dry work area to insure that the cement adheres well for long lasting service.

As long as I don't do something stupid my knee should last a long time. Since I'm done trying to prove I'm impervious to pain, I doubt that I'll have a problem.

I originally wanted to do the second knee ASAP; I have now decided to wait until I return from my HS Reunion in late September. We could do it before going but it would be a tight schedule that wouldn't allow any wiggle room for unexpected delays. I see him again in 4 weeks, depending upon how well I am doing, we'll schedule the right knee for sometime after I return from the reunion.

Would I do it again? Depends, knowing what I know now, I would have passed on the idea of skiing, would have taken better care of the OEM knees and probably would have avoided the need for knee surgery. This was the fourth knee surgery with a 5th coming up late this year. That's 5 too many; that's hindsight talking.

Still more rehab and lots of exercise to get back in shape. A work in progress.

Will try to post a few photos and X-rays in a couple days.

My advice: "Take good care of yourself and avoid needless damage to your body. The OEM stuff you came into this world with is, for the most part, better than anything man made . . . . and less painful during acquisition.

Last but not least, were it not for Dena, I don't know how I'd have been able to handle all this. I have been a real pain in the ass and not very pleasant to be around. She has stuck by me through thick and thin. She's my Guardian Angel and the Love of My Life. Thank You Dear, I Love You !!!!

Best Always
Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                15 June 2023

The attached X-ray is of both knees, The one on the right side of the photo is my new left knee. You will notice the left leg is straighter than the right leg. When I walk on my left foot I'm a bit taller than when I stand on the right. That'll get fixed when we do the right side.

Click the image to enlarge.

Best Always
Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,           20 June 2023

Command decision made today: Going to pass on my HS reunion. The healing and rehab process is taking longer than expected. A 3+ hour flight to Cleveland Ohio is an impediment, airports are not one of my favorite places, public transportation sux and I'll be in a place I have spent little time in during the past 40+ years . . . . kind of like going to "Bum-Fuk-Egypt" where I have never been . . . . just felt like I was there.

This decision will stand, baring some miracle of which I know not. Not going to give up on this project, too important. Take my advice: Try not to let yourself get into this shape/situation.

Best Always
Christine

HANDM

Yeah, probably a good decision to not push it, I happy you've gotten through the worst of it, I'm sure it hasn't been easy.

Q5XX29

Sorry to hear; you were obviously very much looking forward to that event, but it sounds like the right decision. Hoping for you that the rest of your recovery goes more quickly and easily.
dakota_gt on Instagram

426HemiChick

Thanks Frank, Clint,         25 June 2023

I'm not 50, 60 or 70. 83 is where I'm at. Too many things can happen and I wouldn't want to find myself in an emergency situation in Akron Ohio. Don't know any Doctors, Hospitals; Getting home to Phoenix would be next to impossible so it would be potluck.

I am here at Home with Dena and plan to keep it that way.

Thank You My Friends.

God Bless You and Your Families.

Best Always
Dena and Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,            05 July 2023

Monday's rehab was the best I have had so far. Exceeded all expectations and requirements. Will see my surgeon next Wednesday 12 July for my 6 week checkup. Sure it'll go well; expect Dr. Ken to give me the OK to proceed with the pre-op items for the right hinge.

As I mentioned in another thread I want to get my buns in shape so we can start putting our cars together, sell-off what we don't want to keep and commence playing with the rest: 68 Hemi RR, 2000 Ford Interceptor and hopefully a new 24 Ford F450 Diesel, Crew Cab, Dually, full bed. Be an adventure finding a place to park it when "Grocery Getting."

Looking forward to the 12th.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,           13 July 2023

The 12th arrived and it went well. The Surgeon asked me when I would like to do the right knee. I said as soon as possible. The date is Thursday 03 August, three weeks from today and 9 weeks from my first surgery 01 June 2023. The Doctor was happy with my PT progress, which I had hoped he would. When they ask me to do 20 reps I give them 40. One of the PT ladies accused me of being an over achiever. My response was: "Better than an Underachiever."

I signed the necessary papers and the staff is working to arrange the appointments I need, like a CT (Cat Scan), blood test, Surgery schedule, etc. All these should be lined up by Monday.

Anxious to get this done. I see working on our cars in the not too distant future. And, yes, I will not be going to my reunion. I would like to go but, the thought of leaving Home doesn't sit well these days. Everything I love and need is right here in Laveen on West Desert Drive.

Dena's New Mustang Dark Horse has a new build date of 22 July 2023 . . . . subject to change with or without notice.

Will update if anything changes.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,            19 July 2023

Learned a lot about the surgical anesthesia I had, it's called "Total Intravenous Anesthesia" (TIVA). Not all the volatile gasses and chemicals used in regular "General Anesthesia" (GA). Learning a lot about my surgery.

This afternoon I have PT and once done with it we will meet with the Surgeon's Medical Assistant to iron out the scheduling for the right Knee. They are in the same building with the Physical Therapy group, all part of the surgical side.

Time to crash; will know more later today.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,          19 July 2023

Just got home, phone rang and I have my surgery scheduled for Thursday 03 August 2023. Have to get my CT scan, blood test and that should be it for things I have to do aside from showing up Surgery day.

My Surgeon has specified we get the Same Anesthesiologist we had for the first surgery. Dr. Ken and Dr. Matt are a fantastic team. My last surgery was about the 17th or 18th I have had during my lifetime. Dr. Matt is the first Anesthesiologist that has actually talked to me. All the rest said nothing or maybe 5 words . . . . that's it.

Dr. Matt, Dr. Ken and his staff and especially his medical assistant Ben who has helped us a great deal, are exceptional Professionals. We hope we can show them how much we appreciate all they have done for us. We are extremely fortunate for having them in our lives. We are truly Blessed.

Should know more tomorrow.

Looking forward to the second surgery.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: HANDM on June 21, 2023, 12:49:47 PMYeah, probably a good decision to not push it, I happy you've gotten through the worst of it, I'm sure it hasn't been easy.

Hi Frank,          20 July 2023

It's had its bumps. Goes with the territory. My left knee is doing fine, fine enough to forget my "walking stick" much of the time. Think the right will go much easier as it isn't acting up right now. Hope it makes it to 03 August.

The doc said my left knee was really trashed. Had to do some workarounds which got it aligned and installed perfectly. He said the computer controlled robot saved the day. He's a really sharp modern doctor that takes advantage of technology, knowledge and experience. My previous doctors are mired in the last century, using old techniques and technology.

Hope all is well on your end. It's nice, warm and sunny with the temp at 117 degrees. Been this way for a couple days. Last night around 02:00 AM MST it was 102. Snow doesn't stand a chance.

Take Care amigo

Best Always
Christine

472 R/T SE

Just checking in.  I've texted you several times now.

Sorry for your issues.  My uncle was too old for them to redo his knee, imo.  They messed it up years back and technology has come so far.  RIP UJ.

Guess I can be happy I'll never have your issues but I get really bad zappers in my right knee (I'm paralyzed mind you, lol).  I used to think "whatever" when family would say the weathers about to change. 
My right knee is a better local forecaster, lol.

Sorry for what youre going through.  I

426HemiChick

Hi Mike,              23 July 2023

Sorry we haven't answered your texts. We have a plausible reason for not answering you; My phone does not get text messages. I cannot text in either direction.

You have it a lot tougher than I do. My knees can be fixed to some degree. They won't be as good as the OEM stuff was, which lasted 80+ years. 11 more days and I should have an after-market knee in both pegs. So far it's going better than expected. Have a great surgeon, a great Anesthesiologist and a great hospital that's like a Five Star Hotel. It's Called "Honor John C Lincoln Medical Center" here in Phoenix. They are a privately run non profit health system. We are lucky to have them here.

Please take care Mike.

Best Always
Dena and Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              25 July 2023

Nine days from "Knee Day." Had the CT scan of my right Knee today. That about does it for things I have to do for surgery 03 August 2023, exactly 9 weeks from my first knee surgery.

Weather here has been pleasant, temps running in the 100+ range. Was 114 a couple minutes ago.

Not much else going on. Do burn a lot of fuel running between the Doc's office, PT and the testing Facilities. Have a Cardio appt sometime this week, think Thursday.

Take Care
Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               03 August 2023

Today is TKA/TKR Surgery Day scheduled for 0930 Hrs MST, nine weeks to the day since the left side.

Had to get up at 0330 Hrs to get ready to arrive at 0730 for processing and Pre-Op. Why so early? I needed to have enough time to take the special shower the hospital requires, Will splain when I get home.

Will be back on the walker for a couple weeks then the Cane, Think the rehab on this one will go better than the left as that leg has other problems that have hindered its rehab. It's ok now.

My Anesthesiologist, Dr. Matt Woosley, who did my last anesthesia, will be doing so during this latest TKA/TKR. Dr. Woosley is the first anesthesiologist I have had that spoke more than 5 words to me when we met in Pre op; we must have talked for half an hour.

Did learn something I had wondered about over the course of numerous surgeries. I would arrive at the surgery center and at some point during pre op someone would appear and would start the anesthesia. Maybe two or three words were spoken. I found out you can select whomever you want (if they are qualified and accredited by your hospital) to do your anesthesia. This just requires advance planning and making the correct appointment.

All these prior years I have been taking whatever popped up. Never too late to change and learn.

Gotta go, don't want to be late for today's important life's event.

Back after I get home (but not before I indulge myself in the fine cuisine they offer) which should be tomorrow afternoon 04 August 2023.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                05 August 2023

My knee Surgery was completed 03 August 23 nine weeks from the first, 01 June 23. This was the best surgery I have had out of the approximately 18 I have had. It was a spinal without sedation. I was completely awake and totally conscious through the whole procedure.

I was rolled out of pre op to the surgery suite while sitting up on my gurney. From  there I slid myself onto the surgical table. At the direction of Dr. Matt Woosley MD, My Anesthesiologist, I positioned myself on the edge of the surgical table with my legs dangling over the edge with a nurse standing in front of me to insure I didn't move or fall off the table as I bent forward with by back arched. Dr. Woosley then cleansed my back in the area where the Spinal Block was to be administered. Each step of the way he told me what he was going to do next.

First it was a small shot of Lidocaine to numb the area where the Spinal was going to be inserted. Then the spinal needle was inserted, then the Bupivacaine was injected, which is the Anesthetic agent that provided the spinal anesthesia to where I would feel nothing below the Belly Button.

As soon as that was completed I was positioned for the TKR/TKA surgery. They exsanguinated the blood from my right leg then inflated the tourniquet. This halted all blood flow to my right leg.

Once they felt that everything was ready the Surgeon said "First Incision." I did feel a slight tickle as the scalpel sliced through the pre-drawn surgical incision line.

The surgery lasted about two hours. When the surgery was over there was the dressing of my new knee and the cleanup chores. When it was all said and done they celebrated my surgery and lack of sedation. They were blowing horns and clapping. I doubt many other patients will do what I did. I have to say, in all honesty, this was the most enjoyable experiences of my life.

I want to give a great big Thank You to my two Doctors: Dr. Kenneth Schmidt MD Orthopedic Surgeon and Dr. Matt M. Woosley MD Anesthesiologist and their surgical crews.

I know I couldn't have found a better crew of surgical professionals for my knee surgeries.

Best Always
Christine

PS: Pictures later

Daytona R/T SE

I've been reading along, but I hadn't commented yet... :scratchchin:

I'm glad it went well. :2thumbs:
Now, get all healed up and get those cars going.  :drive:

The clock is ticking for all of us.  :eek2:

Q5XX29

Glad it all went so well!
dakota_gt on Instagram

426HemiChick

Hi Daytona R/T SE, Q5XX29,          13 August 2023

Thank you amigos, you made my day.

The left knee is 10 weeks old is doing fine, feels like a new real knee. The right knee is 10 days old so it has a bit of training to get through. It feels better each day, figure when it is about 4 weeks old it will feel quite well.

We went back to Honor Health to meet my new Primary and pickup a few records. While getting in the truck to head home a lady came running up to our truck. She was one of the PACU nurses. She thanked me for having had my surgery w/o sedation. It had the hospital buzzing, they all thought it was neat. She also told us our Anesthesiologist Dr. Matt Woolsey MD is the greatest Anesthesiologist around. He gives very good care for his patients. He visited me 5 times and went through the PACU visiting all the others numerous times.

I have one more surgery (yet to be scheduled) coming up. He will be my Anesthesiologist for it.

Glad I worked my way through three other doctors before finding Dr. Woolsey and Dr. Schmidt. What a Great Team.

Gotta run, Breakfast is ready: Boo Boo Berry Pancakes, Crisp Bacon and OJ.

Thanks mis Amigos
Best Always
Dena and Christine

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,            01 September 2023

It's 4 weeks and one day since my right knee was replaced. It is doing fine, am now driving the truck on occasion. Left knee feels like a natural knee and don't give it much thought. The right needs a bit more Rehab and should be fine in a couple weeks.

My surgery w/o sedation has become the talk of the hospital. Guess most folks sleep through their procedures. Glad I did mine without sedation; it was quite an experience.

I do owe a huge Thank You to my Anesthesiologist Dr. Matt Woosley MD and Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Kenneth Schmidt MD for allowing me to experience my knee replacement surgery sedation free.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I am back to putting our Mopar's together after their sitting around 54 years.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              03 September 2023

Went to Mom's house this afternoon to visit, play cards and have a nice dinner. It was quite enjoyable.

On the way home we noticed a couple signs "Ole Sleazy Joe Brandon" hasn't left us without a reminder of "Biden's Screw America" plan; all grades posted $5.00+ per gallon. We did stop at one of our favorite QT stores and filled la troka with mid grade: 22.03 Gal, @ $4.629, Tot = $101.99. The economy is going Gang Busters . . . . for Joe's plans to Destroy America.

Weather has been nice, temps have moderated a bit, think the high today was 107f.

Have rehab Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Looking forward to the day both knees are normal; getting there, just slower than I'd like but normal for the situation. This surgery is not pain free unless you don't mind being doped up for a couple months (Not Me).

One last item, an important one for certain: Had it not been for Dena, I don't think I'd have made it through this Knee ordeal. She is my Guardian Angel, putting up with a lot of crap from me and keeping me safe and sane.

Best Always
Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks