News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you buy?

Started by Dano 1, April 27, 2021, 09:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

I'm considering a shake-up in our vehicle lineup specifically to get a somewhat modern, reliable truck. I bought a 10klb car trailer to help with our recent move into an older house and would like a new-er truck to be able to pull any of my current vehicles on the trailer to shows etc. and/or go pickup new toys and haul lumber, landscape materials etc. I have a 1970 F-250 that I have historically used for 'truck things' but it is a mint condition, original paint survivor and really not suited for long highway runs.

Budget is probably around $20k from selling off a vehicle or two and having no, or minimal payment. Beyond that I need A/C, power windows, 4x4, and towing capacity of at least 10,000lbs to cover trailer and cargo. So what would you buy? (Yes I know used truck prices are stupid, that's part of the reason this is still a hypothetical)
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

426HemiChick

Hi Dano,                 27 April 2021

Ford has a new PU that stickers for over $100K. Do Not Buy It unless you hit the Lotto.

Our suggestion is try to buy a truck whose history and owner you know and trust and that meets most of your needs. That's what we recently did; it just took over a year to accomplish, which is fine . . . . if you have the time.

Best of luck in finding what you want and need. Last but not least, if possible, avoid having to make payments.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

RiverRaider

To get a newest truck in that price range I would look for a standard cab 8ft box 2500 or 3500 non dually.  I would search the municipal/work truck sale sights and magazines.  Might not have the power windows but likely the best maintained and fewest owners.  I would also look for a manual trans but that would be my preference. 
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Dano 1

I agree, Hemi Chick I always try to find vehicles with known history and the best service records and it usually takes time and patience. My father has an 07 Tundra he bought new which would be perfect for my needs but I haven't been able to convince him to part with it...yet.

RiverRaider you read my mind, I've been looking at 2010+ Ram 2500 reg cab 8ft bed trucks as they seem to be the best value for age/capability out there. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I would get tired of the reg cab but it's just my wife and I so we could likely make it work. Good tip on the municipal sales I'll keep my eyes open!
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

DownZero

You'll probably have to stick with a 3/4 ton or bigger with what you want to haul.

RiverRaider

There is a blue 2012 crew cab 4x4 8ft box with less than 50,000 miles in Morrisville a little out of budget at 26 but might be worth looking at, also a 08 crew cab 4x4 8ft box with less than 100,000 miles for 19.5
in Concord. Both on Craigslist
My first Charger was a Stock Car.