News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upcoming race and uploading audio files

Started by taxspeaker, July 14, 2021, 01:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudavic

Quote from: held1823 on July 19, 2021, 05:53:00 PM
modifying either car violates the spirit of the wager, but age and cunning will always outsmart youthful exuberance

all you need is a few gas cans in the trunk. you can dump them in at any point on the way; stuck in construction, pee stop, or whatever. take more than you think you need, to err on the side of caution

road construction will be ryan's undoing if he runs the a/c while sitting in traffic. you can add gas then, but he can't plug in to an outlet

I agree modifying either car violates the spirit, however so does carrying a half of dozen gasoline cans in your trunk. (not to mention the hazard with doing so)
It is not like his son can bring an extra battery.

As far as traffic and road construction, this is where he may actually have an advantage.
This younger generation with their phone apps can easily find a quicker route while us older folks will be looking at our road maps. LOL

cudavic

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on July 19, 2021, 06:47:29 PM

I would seriously question the battery lifespan on any electric car. There's a lot of hyperbole out there put out by those people pushing the electric car.

By the way... I'm no math expert by any means. But your quote of "1,500 charge cycles which should translate to roughly 300,000 miles." really seems off. And according to the manufacturers they only guarantee their batteries to 100,000 miles. That's quite a ways off of 300,000 miles.  

The minimum lifespan of 1,500 charge cycles which should translate to roughly 300,000 miles was from the manufacture.
They may have embellished. However if you do not abuse the battery in ways that you have already posted the math works out.

Amongst the many things that affect battery life, cycle time is a big one.
Batteries can only be cycled (discharged/re-charged) so many times, if you charge a battery after 15 to 30 minutes of use and then charge it you used one battery life cycle.
If you use it for 8 hours or until the charge remaining on the battery is 20% and then charge it, you use one battery life cycle.

If an electric car battery is rated for 1,500 cycles and you can run 200 mile on a charge, the math works out.
200 miles x 1,500 battery cycles = 300,000 miles

Although as you pointed out abuse the battery whether it be hot climate or fast supercharging methods or other types of abuse, you are going to shorten the lifespan of the battery.
Don't change your engine oil in your internal combustion engine, you are going to shorten its life expectancy.
Manufactures are only going to warranty what they feel comfortable on warrantying.
A warranty is a protection against manufacturing defects not neglect or abuse.

Everyone here including myself are muscle car enthusiasts, I do not expect many to be big fans of electric vehicles so I can understand the disdain for them.
However for the majority of people, cars are just a means of transportation. They want simple, affordable and little maintenance.
For some of those people electric cars fit the bill as on average many American's drives less than 300 miles per week.
Combine that with government subsidies and cheep or free charging stations they become even more appealing. (Not that I agree with it at all)

426HemiChick

Quote from: cudavic on July 20, 2021, 08:39:52 AM
Combine that with government subsidies and cheep or free charging stations they become even more appealing. (Not that I agree with it at all)

Hi Cudavic,               20 July 2021

"Subsidies, Cheap, Free" These "goodies" result in those of us who are productive, paying for what others use just to satisfy political hacks seeking reelection. if our memories are correct we are at 50% of the population on the dole.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on July 19, 2021, 07:04:19 PM

Amen sister!
If we end up with electric motors in our cars... we'll have to put cards in our spokes.  :icon_smile_big:

Hi Kurt,             20 July 2021

You brought back childhood memories. Those "spoke" motors didn't last too long but spares were plentiful . . . . and cheap.

Thanks for the memories and laugh.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

cudavic

Quote from: 426HemiChick on July 20, 2021, 11:26:16 AM

Hi Cudavic,               20 July 2021

"Subsidies, Cheap, Free" These "goodies" result in those of us who are productive, paying for what others use just to satisfy political hacks seeking reelection. if our memories are correct we are at 50% of the population on the dole.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Correct and I am not happy about it either.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 426HemiChick on July 20, 2021, 11:42:55 AM

Amen sister!
If we end up with electric motors in our cars... we'll have to put cards in our spokes.  :icon_smile_big:

Hi Kurt,             20 July 2021

You brought back childhood memories. Those "spoke" motors didn't last too long but spares were plentiful . . . . and cheap.

Thanks for the memories and laugh.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Lots of memories!
We seem to remember the good ones over the bad ones. But I'm good with that. I am The Eternal Optimist!
Growing up with our Schwinn Sting Rays in Anaheim, California in the mid 60's, we were the "bike gang"! We preferred balloons over cards in our spokes. Talk about a realistic sound... well, until they popped.  :icon_smile_big:
I still have my original '64 Schwinn Sting Ray my parents bought me. I'm tearing it apart to restore it again. I really got interested in it again when I found out they were going for $4000.00 online.   :o
What the heck?

KurtfromLaQuinta

I would seriously question the battery lifespan on any electric car. There's a lot of hyperbole out there put out by those people pushing the electric car.

By the way... I'm no math expert by any means. But your quote of "1,500 charge cycles which should translate to roughly 300,000 miles." really seems off. And according to the manufacturers they only guarantee their batteries to 100,000 miles. That's quite a ways off of 300,000 miles.  

The minimum lifespan of 1,500 charge cycles which should translate to roughly 300,000 miles was from the manufacture.
They may have embellished. However if you do not abuse the battery in ways that you have already posted the math works out.

Amongst the many things that affect battery life, cycle time is a big one.
Batteries can only be cycled (discharged/re-charged) so many times, if you charge a battery after 15 to 30 minutes of use and then charge it you used one battery life cycle.
If you use it for 8 hours or until the charge remaining on the battery is 20% and then charge it, you use one battery life cycle.

If an electric car battery is rated for 1,500 cycles and you can run 200 mile on a charge, the math works out.
200 miles x 1,500 battery cycles = 300,000 miles

Although as you pointed out abuse the battery whether it be hot climate or fast supercharging methods or other types of abuse, you are going to shorten the lifespan of the battery.
Don't change your engine oil in your internal combustion engine, you are going to shorten its life expectancy.
Manufactures are only going to warranty what they feel comfortable on warrantying.
A warranty is a protection against manufacturing defects not neglect or abuse.

Everyone here including myself are muscle car enthusiasts, I do not expect many to be big fans of electric vehicles so I can understand the disdain for them.
However for the majority of people, cars are just a means of transportation. They want simple, affordable and little maintenance.
For some of those people electric cars fit the bill as on average many American's drives less than 300 miles per week.

Sorry if I seemed to be all over you on this subject.
I just don't like the idea of something being forced upon us... especially if we the people don't want it.
Choice is good. If some want driver- less cars... fine. Wait. Bad example.  :icon_smile_big:

426HemiChick

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on July 20, 2021, 06:01:35 PM

Lots of memories!
We seem to remember the good ones over the bad ones. But I'm good with that. I am The Eternal Optimist!
Growing up with our Schwinn Sting Rays in Anaheim, California in the mid 60's, we were the "bike gang"! We preferred balloons over cards in our spokes. Talk about a realistic sound... well, until they popped.  :icon_smile_big:
I still have my original '64 Schwinn Sting Ray my parents bought me. I'm tearing it apart to restore it again. I really got interested in it again when I found out they were going for $4000.00 online.   :o
What the heck?

Hi Kurt,                 21 July 2021

$4K, that's a nice return.

Back in 1999 we bought a new Trek Road bike for $2.5K. Looked it up on the net, it's now worth a whopping $200.00 . . . . tops. Guess we'll keep it in case we run out of "oral."

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

cudavic

Sorry if I seemed to be all over you on this subject.
I just don't like the idea of something being forced upon us... especially if we the people don't want it.
Choice is good. If some want driver- less cars... fine. Wait. Bad example.  :icon_smile_big:

No problems what so ever, and myself as well.
Sometimes when you try to convey things in writing as opposed to polite conversation the message gets misinterpreted.
All good feelings here, now lets get back on the subject of the race.

Parameters on charging and fueling times really need to be addressed if they have not already been done.
Other than that, be safe and may the coolest looking car win.  ;)

426HemiChick

Quote from: cudavic on July 21, 2021, 10:22:37 AM
Parameters on charging and fueling times really need to be addressed if they have not already been done.
Other than that, be safe and may the coolest looking car win.  ;)

Hi Cudavic,             21 July 2021

The coolest looking car: 1969 Dodge Daytona !!! It will never be equaled or surpassed!!!

The "New" Dodge Daytona? It's a sacrilege to call that 4 door thing a Daytona. There's only one genuine Dodge Daytona and that's the 1969 model.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 426HemiChick on July 21, 2021, 02:59:53 AM
Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on July 20, 2021, 06:01:35 PM

Lots of memories!
Growing up with our Schwinn Sting Rays in Anaheim, California in the mid 60's, we were the "bike gang"! We preferred balloons over cards in our spokes. Talk about a realistic sound... well, until they popped.  :icon_smile_big:
I still have my original '64 Schwinn Sting Ray my parents bought me. I'm tearing it apart to restore it again. I really got interested in it again when I found out they were going for $4000.00 online.   :o
What the heck?

Hi Kurt,                 21 July 2021

$4K, that's a nice return.

Back in 1999 we bought a new Trek Road bike for $2.5K. Looked it up on the net, it's now worth a whopping $200.00 . . . . tops. Guess we'll keep it in case we run out of "oral."

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Yes indeed!
My parents paid $45.00 for my Sting Ray. They told me to "Take care of it. It's the only one we will buy for you."  And I did.
Of course, they damaged me for life.
I not only have my Sting Ray... I have the same truck I bought almost 47 years ago. Same wife for 45 years. And the same house we built in '79.   :icon_smile_big:
Wait a while on that Trek bike... I just might go up.  ;D

426HemiChick

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on July 21, 2021, 05:41:31 PM

My parents paid $45.00 for my Sting Ray. They told me to "Take care of it. It's the only one we will buy for you."  And I did.
Of course, they damaged me for life.
I not only have my Sting Ray... I have the same truck I bought almost 47 years ago. Same wife for 45 years. And the same house we built in '79.   :icon_smile_big:
Wait a while on that Trek bike... I just might go up.  ;D

Hi Kurt,               21 July 2021

Ah yes 1979, same year we bought this house/warehouse. We have a contract on it so hopefully we'll have everything packed and be ready to go . . . . Soon. Can't be soon enough.

Don't ask us when soon will be, we've made too many predictions that have failed to materialize, hopefully this year.

Recommendation:

Don't grow old, just get older.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks