News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 six pack

Started by krops cars, August 23, 2021, 03:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krops cars

What should the idle be on a 440 six pack. I can not get it to go any lower than 1200. I can take the screw all the way out. I have the carbs all set right. I had it at 900 then I found out that the carb was not suppling vacuum to the vacuum advance. There is only 2600 miles on the set up. bought new. Throttle cable is not to tight. It is a manual transmission. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you

70 sublime

A vacuum leak some place ?

You figured out it was not getting vacuum to the distributor but got that working then it will not slow down ?

Now it is using more vacuum because it is now going to the distributor and leaking some place else ?

Just my guess

I have a 440 at the engine machine shop right now and he is putting it together with my 6 pack set up and yes mine will have a 4 speed also  :2thumbs:
So I am watching to see what you figure out
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

There are tiny idle screws in the outboard's base, check them.

krops cars

0 sublime. I will keep you posted. I also adjusted the idle air mixture screws.

70sixpkrt

Check for any vacuum leaks around the manifold, vacuum hoses, and the carbs. Set the outboard mixture screws no more than 1/2 turn out from seated. After that, check the center mixture screws. My center is set at 3/4 - 1 full turn out.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

hemi68charger

Make sure your outboards are NOT cracked open a wee bit due to binding or misadjusted linkage to the center carb.. If the throttle valves are open ever so slightly on either outboard it'll cause the idle to be high. Place your hand over the center carb air horn slowly and see if the rpms increase, if it does, vacuum leak. I had this very thing happen to me last week on the six pack Charger I'm working on.. Turned out I had the center carb base gasket on backwards.. The brand I was using did have a front and rear and since it was backwards, wasn't sealing the base plate-to-intake properly. Depending on the cam and vacuum at curb idle at a starting point around 8-10 degrees before TDC, I usually start my fuel/air mixture screws at about 1.5 turns out. Again, these are starting points.. Adjust your idle to about 800-900.. With the assumption you have no vacuum leaks, adjust your fuel/air to get the highest/most steady vacuum reading (I use direct manifold vacuum source like the nipple in the back or the choke pull-off hose).

Six packs are not usually daunting.. They can be if people have modified them in the past......

Good luck..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

krops cars

Thanks. I will be working on it in a few days. I have to many projects going on right now. I have to get it done. I plan on cruising this weekend.

John_Kunkel

Make sure the choke fast-idle cam is all the way off when warmed up.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

If its still idling at 1200 with the center carb idle screw removed, i suspect the outboard carbs are open.