News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Dipstick O-Ring:

Started by Captain D, November 16, 2023, 12:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

On my 69' Charger (727 Torque-flight) transmission, it looks to be a minor fluid leak from the dipstick O-ring (always something). I'm going to have to take it to a shop so that we can get it up on a lift, but is it an expensive fix? What's all involved so that I can then share with the shop? Any O-ring part number replacement suggestions / recommendations, etc.?

Thank you for any and all info,

70 sublime

The dip stick tube has one brace on it that goes to one of the engine to transmision bolts
Just take the bolt out and twist and pull up on the tube and the tube should pull right out

I thought I had the same problem one time also
Got the tube out and it ended up the tube was cracked right where it goes into the transmision
I just brazed it up and put it back together with no more leak

Just something to check when it is out
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

Here are the TF O ring sizes and look closely for the crack Sublime mentioned...very common.

O RING SIZES (OD X thickness)

Dipstick tube  .750" X .100"

Speedometer Adapter '66-on   1.750" X .100

Speedometer cable trans end '60-'65  .950" X .100"

Shift cable '60-'65  .700 X .100"

Park cable '62-'65   .437" X .070"

Early NSS ?-'65  .970" X .100"

Rear band lever pivot shaft '66-on  .625" X .062"
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the replies and info - much appreciated, my friends... :2thumbs:

Captain D

... meant to add - if I have to replace the O-ring, I believe that I may just go ahead and install one of these TCI locking units instead:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-743808

A better seal + keeps the moisture out more. Thanks again for the replies & help earlier!