News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTB: 1968 Charger with 440 with no rust and excellent cosmetics

Started by WestWeires, October 09, 2021, 04:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestWeires

We are looking for a 1968 Charger to buy for my stepson and myself to enjoy.  We plan to keep the car indefinitely as a family heirloom.  My stepson is an experienced auto mechanic by trade so we can maintain or repair the car relatively economically.

Must haves:
-Cosmetic condition is very important.  We don't want the cost or delays associated with rust repair, re-chroming or repainting etc.  No rust!
-We are also looking for a car equipped with a 440 cubic inch engine.  It does not have to be original to the car.  Stock condition or a mild rebuild with a little hotter cam is ok, but not modified to where it's street manners are compromised too much.
-A mostly original unmodified looking car in good driving condition.

Important but not a deal breaker:
-a car that was born a RT.
-a car that came from the factory with a four speed transmission.
-a car that has power steering.
-if it's a torqueflite car it must have a console shifter.  No column shifter.

Nice to have:
-Factory air conditioning, as part of the plumbing will be there to add modern Vintage AC.
-power brakes with front disc brakes.
-tic toc tach.

Exterior color and interior trim:
-Black, black vinyl roof, black interior top choice.
-Blues and greens liked.
-Red ok
-No white, gold, silver, beige, tan, bronze, burgundy, yellow or turquoise cars.
-We would prefer a vinyl roof, preferably black.

Some cars online (that we have not seen) that fit our general description have asking prices in the $70,000-$80,000 range.
We would prefer to be at the low end of this range closer to $70,000.  We have cash in hand and can travel to inspect the car.  We would need access to a car lift. 

Thanks.
John
weires1953@gmail.com
515-971-3398

Challenger340

-We are also looking for a car equipped with a 440 cubic inch engine.  It does not have to be original to the car.

Just making sure you are aware that the factory "R/T" Cars had had heavier S15 suspensions/Brake systems... and only in "R/T" models were the 440 Magnum or 426 HEMI engines available.

the originally 318/383 equipped cars have lighter suspension/brake systems, and smaller Fuel Lines etc. than their factory "440" equipped "R/T" brethren.
just say'in...
that the original slant 6, 318 and 383 cars(NON R/T) with transplanted 440 Engines.... if not upgraded elsewhere(Brakes/Suspensions etc.) are the posterboys for "like riding on a drunken Elephant"

You may wish to conduct some due diligence in your search around Brakes/Suspension/Fuel delivery etc., etc. on any potential NON R/T Chargers you locate 'equipped with a 440' .... if they were originally /6, 318, or 383 powered from factory.

also:
1.) it is my understanding.... That A/C was NOT available as an option on the factory 4 Speed "R/T" 440/426 equipped cars ?
therein...
rendering one of your "nice to haves" for factory A/C plumbing being present for modern upgrade a moot point on any "R/T" original 440 or Hemi factory 4 speed equipped Chargers

2.) "Column Shift" with Bucket seats was the "std equipment" on factory Auto/Torqueflite equipped R/T Chargers.... again, just making sure you know NO BENCH SEATS were available in case it is the "bench" seat potential as the deal breaker ?  ALOT of Charger R/T's were Column Shift as far as I know ? albeit, 50 years on most have been changed/altered to console.

So....
if I am reading/understanding correctly..... your #1 preference is as follows ?
* You are seeking a factory original "R/T" example 1968 Dodge Charger, 440 Magnum with preferred 4 Spd, in Black W/Black Vinyl Roof, absolutely NO rust in good original and UN-modified condition around $70,000 ... albeit the 440 doesn't have to be #'s matching to the Car ?

Is this correct as your #1 preference ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Challenger340

WestWeires

Challenger 340, 

I knew of some of the heavier duty parts that RT cars came with but not all.
I guess I somewhat naively assumed somebody who had transplanted a 440 into a 318 car would have installed all the proper matching parts in it because this is what I would have done.
My son, who is a mechanic, may or may not have spotted this as he works mostly on modern cars.  So I really appreciate you pointing this out to me.
Thanks for the link.

Since he is able to do most or all mechanical work to a high standard and in a reasonable period of time compared to body work, cosmetics and rust free condition are important.  He is young enough to invest 3-4 years to do a full restoration, at 68 I am not!  I want to enjoy a nice car with him that is ready to drive while I am able. 

WestWeires

Challenger 340,

So....
* You are seeking a factory original "R/T" example 1968 Dodge Charger, 440 Magnum with preferred 4 Spd, in Black W/Black Vinyl Roof, absolutely NO rust in good original and UN-modified condition around $70,000 ... albeit the 440 doesn't have to be #'s matching to the Car ?

YES TO YOUR QUESTION as to #1 preference.   We can add AC and change out the transmission if necessary.

Challenger340

Quote from: WestWeires on October 17, 2021, 04:21:26 PM
Challenger 340,

So....

YES TO YOUR QUESTION as to #1 preference.   We can add AC and change out the transmission if necessary.

:2thumbs:
No disrespect intended... just trying to make sure some of the 'nuances' with these cars are clear for you.... when the time comes for due diligence.
IMO, you are realistically funded and should locate some fine candidates within your budgetary expectations.

Again... just for clarification for you to apply to your 'wants' as Req'd
* "R/T" Model 1968/9 Charger's were equipped with heavier S15 Pkg Suspension/Brakes/Fuel line
* "R/T" Model 1968/9 Charger's only had 2 engine Options being the 440 Magnum as Std.... and optional 426 Hemi   (NO slant 6/318/383 available in R/T)
* "R/T" Model Charger's "std" shift for the Automatic was a Column Shift..... "Console" was optional
*  NO Air Conditioning Option was available on any "4-Speed optioned" Charger R/T..... only "Automatic" Transmission "R/T" model Chargers could be had with A/C.

As to valuations....
it would seem the Collector market places some of the highest valuations with these cars at resale on things like originality ? Numbers Matching Drivetrains ? Fender Tag and Broadcast Sheet ? things that corroborate 'what' the Car was originally and has been maintained as ?
although that said.... 'restomod' customizations are pulling extremely high popularity and money at resale now of late, by those wanting more of the modern vehicle amenities/suspensions etc
just say'in.... and imo...
some thoughts may be in order as to how careful you are when "modifying" anything you end up Buying.... especially if you are Paying a valuation premium for it being an original "R/T" Car.... then planning modifications it did not originally come with when new ? As that can detract from what you've already paid for in an "R/T" price premium ?
I mean I get you are already un-concerned with a "Numbers matching" 440 Engine.... albeit, still Paying otherwise for an R/T ?

Maybe contact this guy....
It's an R/T SE.... missing some of the "SE" stuff including the Sail Panel emblem.... and missing the 440 as now equipped with a HEMI
Login to fb and try this link
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/559487818659097/?ref=share_attachment