News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Epoxy primer enough defense for winter?

Started by Scooter67, October 30, 2021, 06:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter67

:icon_smile_big: Hello everyone! I'm new to the scene! Question: I plan on shooting my bare metal 67 charger in epoxy primer. If it sits in the garage through a michigan winter will it rust by next spring? Thanks in advance! :icon_smile_big:

AKcharger

"Should" be. snow really isn't a big cataylist for corrosion, it's dirt and liquid water

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

My charger has been in the garage with Epoxy primer for at least 6 years. And I am in michigan

Scooter67

Fair enough! All the research I've done has said that epoxy is the way to go if the topcoat is going to be put off for awhile. But of course I've also heard non epoxy primer attracts moisture so in any case you have to be careful! :cheers:

PlainfieldCharger

I used the clausen on top of the epoxy primer. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124847789892?hash=item1d11821744:g:kd8AAOSw14hcmpDa

195.00 a gallon and comes in different colors....paint goes right on top of it...sands nice too...

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Scooter67

:cheers: :cheers: Thank you guys so much for your input. I really appreciate the help :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

I always self etch wash prime my Bare Metal Restoration Cars before Epoxy Priming. Works for me :Twocents: :shruggy: LEON.

Scooter67

self etch wash prime? what exactly is that ?

Scooter67

I've done a little searching and the opinion of most is to Not shoot an epoxy primer over self etching primer.
Anyone have any comments on this?

Canadian1968

Whatever product you use, look at the TDS............................

For expoy, I usually don't use etch, unless its recommended.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Scooter67 on November 03, 2021, 04:04:59 AM
I've done a little searching and the opinion of most is to Not shoot an epoxy primer over self etching primer.

That's because epoxy primers are not recommended over most Self Etching Wash Primers but not All. Some you can & some you can't, You just gotta know which ones you can & which ones you cant & most painters don't know you can. I got the paint manufactures Technical Data Sheets that say which ones you can & can't. I've been Painting for almost 40 Years with many different shops & Painters & noticed most Painters don't even read the TDS 's. Been using my method for 30 Years with no Problems. Lot of Painters will also say don't waste your time Sealing a car before you Paint also. You got the right way & then you got the Cheap Low Budget Earl Scheib way. All you gotta do is pick which way you wanta go. LEON.

Scooter67

:cheers: Thank you boys...All advice and knowledge is appreciated :yesnod:

Canadian1968

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 03, 2021, 06:56:53 PM

That's because epoxy primers are not recommended over most Self Etching Wash Primers but not All. Some you can & some you can't, You just gotta know which ones you can & which ones you cant & most painters don't know you can. I got the paint manufactures Technical Data Sheets that say which ones you can & can't. I've been Painting for almost 40 Years with many different shops & Painters & noticed most Painters don't even read the TDS 's. Been using my method for 30 Years with no Problems. Lot of Painters will also say don't waste your time Sealing a car before you Paint also. You got the right way & then you got the Cheap Low Budget Earl Scheib way. All you gotta do is pick which way you wanta go. LEON.

:rofl:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Canadian1968 on November 08, 2021, 07:41:42 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 03, 2021, 06:56:53 PM

hemi-hampton

There's self etching Primer, then Wash Primer & then theres self etching wash primer. All 3 different. PPG'S Data sheets does not recommend epoxy primer over there self etching primer #DPX171 & the data sheets does not recommend epoxy prime over there wash primer #DPX170.  BUT, PPG's data sheet does recommend epoxy prime ( I use there DP epoxy Primer) over there self etch was primer # DX1791.  Which is what I use. I guess nobody has read the data sheet on this one? BUT, I haven't used this stuff for many Years & not sure if they still make it. Every Year all Paint Manufacturers seem to come out with new stuff. Now they got DTM Primer which was good for Industrial use many years ago but now used on Cars.  LEON.