News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

headlight upgrade

Started by misty440, November 16, 2021, 07:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPP

Sealed beam filament lights are what these cars came with. The filament required a vacuum to operate and the filament was susceptible to vibration damage. These were universally used until the late '70s when halogen  lights came out and by the '80s they had became more common. However, vehicles designers were still using the same dual/quad round/square configurations in most designs, so sealed beam halogens were the norm. These were a glass light like the sealed beam, but they had a sealed halogen bulb inside of them. In the 90s designs for headlights made a big step forward into custom shapes made of plastic with reflective surface and a removable halogen bulbs. We had moved into the realm of replacing headlight bulbs instead of whole headlights. As technology advanced, H4 series bulbs become the norm for use in everything but we still had reflectors. As LED technology advanced in the '00s, it got to the point they could now be used for headlights and we lost the need to design around reflectors. This is why new cars have such unique headlight designs.  It also means you can concentrate all this light into a single point bulb for retrofitting into a sealed beam style of projector, which can be put into our classics.

Kern Dog

A sealed beam could be Halogen or not.
The H1 and H4 headlamps have replaceable bulbs, a sealed beam is sealed and the bulbs are not replaceable.
I installed a relay kit and Hella H1/H4 lights...I do need to properly aim them but they are MUCH better than any sealed beam I've ever used.

Hella 17.jpg

Hella 18.jpg

Hella 19.jpg

Hella 20.jpg