News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve cover leak has defeated me for 10 years, need help!

Started by AKcharger, December 25, 2021, 12:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

NO gaskets?
Which engines were built this way? That would be a strange practice.

AKcharger

So far so good, but will take a bit to be sure, it usually is good and starts leaking after about 2 hours of operation.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 04, 2023, 04:52:47 PMNO gaskets?

I didn't say "engines" in particular, I said "installations". Such things as rear end covers have used only sealant for decades.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

The inference was engines since this thread is about valve covers.
I thought that maybe there was some application that I didn't know about. I'm always anxious to learn new things.

AKcharger

I did notice the bolts (chrome tie downs) were loose after every run. might need safety wire

AKcharger

Ever so slight leak now, but bolts were again loose. This might have been cause all along. interestingly ONLY the pax sides are loose NOT the drivers side??

Anyway, safety wire in place which SHOULD cure it but now battling an EFI issue again so long test drive will have to wait  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

AKcharger

Oh! Oh! I think I might have it!! Carb is back on and took car for a good 1/2 hour ride today. at stop light on occasion I would get a quick whiff of oil but upon arriving home nothing, even exhaust pipe (where oil would drip) is dry as a bone!

My new theory is this...it IS the heads. When they were made the Chinese miss-drilled the valve cover holes where they were a tad too big and allowed oll the bolts to loose. IKR SHOCKER! a Chinese made part substandard!? 2008 440 source heads

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 04, 2023, 04:52:47 PMNO gaskets?
In the late 70's to about the mid 80's EVERY dang small block Chevy used orange silicon in place of valve cover gaskets, & they leaked lol.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Derwud

What Cam are you running and have you checked your PCV?
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981