News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here we go again

Started by taxspeaker, March 19, 2022, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Wow I am jealous! I want to do this exact thing one day!

6T8440

What a trip to do again ~ Many of us will travel vicariously with you.  :2thumbs:
Driving through the towns and neighbourhoods that are us.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Sean on March 28, 2022, 09:50:18 AM
Wow I am jealous! I want to do this exact thing one day!

Quote from: 6T8440 on March 28, 2022, 10:20:40 AM
What a trip to do again ~ Many of us will travel vicariously with you.  :2thumbs:

Hi Folks,               28 March 2022

The old bridge was two lanes, one each direction and no divider, no shoulder. It was a crazy stunt from which we survived. I'd never try it again; too easy to harm or kill some innocent person.

That was back when I was of the ripe old age of 23, young, dumb, not yet smart.

If you are ever on that bridge, take a leisurely drive, enjoy the scenery and the history of how that bridge came about. Some of the old bridge is still intact and is used for fishing. You can walk on it without having to worry about some speeding dumbass possibly hitting you.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: 426HemiChick on March 26, 2022, 12:52:15 PM
Quote from: aerolith on March 26, 2022, 10:23:35 AM
don't forget the girls for those loooong winter nights...

Hi John,                  26 March 2022

Hope all is well with you and your lady. Was noticing the post with the girls on the wing of the Super Bird. That had to be taken at a Sonic Drive in. How do we know? Take a look at the tray hanging on the driver side window. It's a Sonic tray, just like the one we have.

Take care, we are permanently here in Phoenix; no more moving so you know where to find us.

Take Care Amigo.

Best Always

Dena and Christine, 426 Hemi Chicks

That picture was probably taken at the Aero cars reunion, the Sonic is next door to the Wellborn museum in Alabama.

Ben

426HemiChick

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on March 28, 2022, 02:40:38 PM

That picture was probably taken at the Aero cars reunion, the Sonic is next door to the Wellborn museum in Alabama.

Ben

Hi Ben,                   28 March 2022

Thanks for filling in the blank. We obtained our tray while walking one of our pups. It was lying alongside the road about a mile and a half from the closest Sonic. It was a mess so we cleaned it up and have it as an "Automotive Souvenir." The Sonic's in Texas and Arizona no longer use trays; instead they use bags and cardboard containers.

Since we often visit Sonics here in Arizona, we're thinking of keeping it in our daily driver (Troka) for the times we eat there. Have to say, their food has improved a lot over the past few years.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

69_500

I believe the pic of the 3 ladies on the wing at the sonic to be taken in Maryland. I am pretty sure it was at the Ridgley car show that Brenda puts on.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69_500 on April 01, 2022, 04:41:58 PM
I believe the pic of the 3 ladies on the wing at the sonic to be taken in Maryland. I am pretty sure it was at the Ridgley car show that Brenda puts on.

Hi 69_500,               02 April 2022

Thank you 69-500. We now have one blank and two answers; a multiple choice quiz.

Actually makes it more interesting, adds a bit of uncertainty. Anyone know who owns / owned the Super Bird when the photo was taken?

Since we haven't a clue as to what the true answer is, we'll depend upon you-all.

Thanks for making this more interesting.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

bakerhillpins

Quote from: taxspeaker on March 19, 2022, 09:52:38 PM
The week before we will be at the Chrysler Nationals with the Petty Blue 6 pack Bird in the survivor tent, so lots of driving that month. I took the whole month off from work to do this while I still can physically and mentally, and am lucky enough for my wife to support the endeavor.

Hope to see/chat with you again at Carlisle this year Bob! I'm hoping that my wife can join me this year as it seems my boys are starting to find their own lives now.  She's seemed open to doing a x-USA trip in the Charger with me at some point but lots to deal with in between. I'll be watching your travels, Enjoy!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

aerolith

God bless America!

Happy Easter to everyone in the USofA who owns a Mopar or any ICE CAR lol...

The end of 'gas guzzling' is getting close for us Brits, so enjoy life 'and the GAS' whilst you can...

GAS has a different meaning here, but its getting expensive, whichever one you use!

We was gonna do the California to Talladega trip back in the 'naughties', but life got in the way!
Don't make excuses just 'gas em up' and drive the pants off it!

Make new memories and don't rely on the 'OLD ONES'...
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

taxspeaker

We are now about 2 months out from Alaska trip #2. I am much better prepared this time, and technology has improved as well. Yesterday I completed a 140 mile test road trip on the backroads of Indiana. Here are the results:

All fuel was non-ethanol 92 octane-we have a local marathon that sells it and I filled up before I went.
Mileage was 11.63 MPG, but there are a number of small towns, construction and stop signs, so pretty much in line with my expectations. It should be around 12.5-13 MPG according to the 1st trip.
I drove the state highways yesterday because the starting, stopping and 65-70mph segments match the Alaska highway much better than 70mph interstates, plus its less boring.

I have my cell phone mounted at eye level on a non-permanent magnet mount so I could see my actual speed on GPS. I had Gary Gazda at 4 wheel parts & service in Minnesota rebuild the rear end a year or so ago after some rear whine, and he put in the original 3:55 gears and I put in the correct 39 tooth speedo gear, so I was curious to see if speedo matched actual speed as noted on phone GPS. It matched perfectly at all speeds. I had also replaced rear end bearings and seals at that time so happy to report no whining. Gary & Wendy stopped by the shop this spring to see the wing cars.

Although the radio works now (on the 1st trip I blew the speaker in the first 30 minutes of a 10,000 mile trip), but with the 85 degree air temps yesterday I had the windows down and couldn't hear it, so it was left turned off. Not really an issue for me since the voices in my head keep me company!

Oil consumption-none. I use Brad Penn oil and changed it and the filter prior to the test trip. The oil pressure gauge is still funky, just like on the 1st Alaska trip, but I have learned it seems to be there primarily for entertainment. The aftermarket sending units are all crap and unless I can find an OEM unit, the entertainment will just have to be enough since the gauge reads 20PSi at highway speeds and the engine only has 2500 miles since it was rebuilt.

The odometer turned 49,000 miles on the trip, so it will be somewhere in the mid to upper 50,000 mile range when I get home.

Water temperature is fine at highway speeds, but it overheated in traffic in the little town of Salem, Indiana (home of  Charlie Glotzbach's Salem Speedway). I am considering replacing the Zerex antifreeze with distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. I know Troy and some others swear by that and I would be curious to hear comments. I will not change the radiator or original fan or water pump-I'm funny about using things the way they were originally made.

The trip was perfect. I heard 1 rattle in a passenger door and when I got back to the shop I pulled the panel off and fixed what I think is the culprit. Can't really hear it above 50MPH anyway.

In preparation for the trip, I did the following items-I don't trust this to anyone else including Ryan or Matt, since I do the trip solo, so I do the mechanic stuff personally and slowly on this Bird.
I put in an Optima RedTop battery for cranking power safety. The Mopar knock off batteries seem to be garbage.
Flushed transmission fluid. While the car was on the lift I checked every nut, bolt and hose underneath for tightness.
Checked build date on tires (3 years old), and checked air in all tires, plus the spare.
I rebuilt the carb and adjusted choke about 5 times. It is now at a good level, but the daggone carb bowl drains over 2 nights, so I have to pump the heck out of the gas, These AFB's, ugh.

Having done it before, my checklist is slightly different now. Still taking lots of fluids, extra belts and hoses, plus a can of flat fix and one of those all-in-one starter batteries, a fender cover and a siphon hose.
Electrical parts: coil, 2 ballast resistors, 2 ECM's, voltage regulator, starter relay and a water pump. I will probably throw in a starter too.
Tools-no big changes but added an electric impact-1 of those battery ones just in case. That reminds me to check lugnut tightness.
Right behind me on the floor is the special box with a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flashlight, gloves, paper towels, trash bags, glass cleaner (millions of bugs) and a hammer for deterrent and persuasion.
In the console I have tylenol, pepto bismol, Tums, cell phone lighter adapter and cord and a drink holder. Because there is no cell service up there I have an old fashioned atlas in the back seat. I also have a strategically hidden extra set of keys and, like before, will rent a satellite phone for a month.

To go into Canada I have to pre-register 72 hours out and upload Covid vaccine info and get approved according to their website.

Like the 1st trip, I have a pretty aggressive driving schedule at first, and have made advance hotel reservations going north, nothing coming south yet-last time I slept in the car.
July 20 Leave Louisville and drive to St CLoud, MN (about 800 miles)
July 21 Leave St CLoud, and drive to Regina, SK (about 750 miles)
July 22 Leave Regina and drive to Edmonton (about 500 miles). The Western Mopar Madness show is having a meet and greet at a local steakhouse that I want to get to.
July 23 and 24-Western Mopar Madness show. That night I will move the purple Hemi Superbird to the showroom at Leduc Chrysler, and park the ramp truck on their lot somewhere.
July 25 leave Edmonton and drive to Ft Nelson BC-about 600 miles I think
July 26, leave Ft Nelson and drive to Yukon Territory and on to SKagway Alaska, spending night in Skagway if I can cross customs and return. That's where I got arrested the 1st time for calling a customs agent a moron when he called the Superbird a Superbee, so I may reconsider that.
At this point I stopped making hotel reservations so I can drive a little more slowly and see a bit more. Hope to get home the 1st of August

Sorry for the long-winded story.
Like last trip, once it is going  I will try to post daily updates.
See you at Carlisle!
Bob J-here's a little picture I grabbed off the internet to show you the trip

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,                 11 May 2022

Looks like you have a fun adventure ahead. Please stay safe, God Speed and Bless you and your Bird.

Take Care Amigo.

Best Always

Dena and Christine

PettyMower

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 03, 2022, 12:31:18 AM
Quote from: 69_500 on April 01, 2022, 04:41:58 PM

Hi 69_500,               02 April 2022

Thank you 69-500. We now have one blank and two answers; a multiple choice quiz.

Actually makes it more interesting, adds a bit of uncertainty. Anyone know who owns / owned the Super Bird when the photo was taken?

Since we haven't a clue as to what the true answer is, we'll depend upon you-all.

Thanks for making this more interesting.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

It's Kevin Hurd's V-code Superbird, and the girls volunteer their time for photos for Brenda Walls' Ridgely Car Show. 2021 was the last year for that VERY cool event.  I believe the photo was taken in Bridgeville, Delaware.

tan top

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 11, 2022, 08:14:12 AM
We are now about 2 months out from Alaska trip #2. I am much better prepared this time, and technology has improved as well. Yesterday I completed a 140 mile test road trip on the backroads of Indiana. Here are the results:

All fuel was non-ethanol 92 octane-we have a local marathon that sells it and I filled up before I went.
Mileage was 11.63 MPG, but there are a number of small towns, construction and stop signs, so pretty much in line with my expectations. It should be around 12.5-13 MPG according to the 1st trip.
I drove the state highways yesterday because the starting, stopping and 65-70mph segments match the Alaska highway much better than 70mph interstates, plus its less boring.

I have my cell phone mounted at eye level on a non-permanent magnet mount so I could see my actual speed on GPS. I had Gary Gazda at 4 wheel parts & service in Minnesota rebuild the rear end a year or so ago after some rear whine, and he put in the original 3:55 gears and I put in the correct 39 tooth speedo gear, so I was curious to see if speedo matched actual speed as noted on phone GPS. It matched perfectly at all speeds. I had also replaced rear end bearings and seals at that time so happy to report no whining. Gary & Wendy stopped by the shop this spring to see the wing cars.

Although the radio works now (on the 1st trip I blew the speaker in the first 30 minutes of a 10,000 mile trip), but with the 85 degree air temps yesterday I had the windows down and couldn't hear it, so it was left turned off. Not really an issue for me since the voices in my head keep me company!

Oil consumption-none. I use Brad Penn oil and changed it and the filter prior to the test trip. The oil pressure gauge is still funky, just like on the 1st Alaska trip, but I have learned it seems to be there primarily for entertainment. The aftermarket sending units are all crap and unless I can find an OEM unit, the entertainment will just have to be enough since the gauge reads 20PSi at highway speeds and the engine only has 2500 miles since it was rebuilt.

The odometer turned 49,000 miles on the trip, so it will be somewhere in the mid to upper 50,000 mile range when I get home.

Water temperature is fine at highway speeds, but it overheated in traffic in the little town of Salem, Indiana (home of  Charlie Glotzbach's Salem Speedway). I am considering replacing the Zerex antifreeze with distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. I know Troy and some others swear by that and I would be curious to hear comments. I will not change the radiator or original fan or water pump-I'm funny about using things the way they were originally made.

The trip was perfect. I heard 1 rattle in a passenger door and when I got back to the shop I pulled the panel off and fixed what I think is the culprit. Can't really hear it above 50MPH anyway.

In preparation for the trip, I did the following items-I don't trust this to anyone else including Ryan or Matt, since I do the trip solo, so I do the mechanic stuff personally and slowly on this Bird.
I put in an Optima RedTop battery for cranking power safety. The Mopar knock off batteries seem to be garbage.
Flushed transmission fluid. While the car was on the lift I checked every nut, bolt and hose underneath for tightness.
Checked build date on tires (3 years old), and checked air in all tires, plus the spare.
I rebuilt the carb and adjusted choke about 5 times. It is now at a good level, but the daggone carb bowl drains over 2 nights, so I have to pump the heck out of the gas, These AFB's, ugh.

Having done it before, my checklist is slightly different now. Still taking lots of fluids, extra belts and hoses, plus a can of flat fix and one of those all-in-one starter batteries, a fender cover and a siphon hose.
Electrical parts: coil, 2 ballast resistors, 2 ECM's, voltage regulator, starter relay and a water pump. I will probably throw in a starter too.
Tools-no big changes but added an electric impact-1 of those battery ones just in case. That reminds me to check lugnut tightness.
Right behind me on the floor is the special box with a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flashlight, gloves, paper towels, trash bags, glass cleaner (millions of bugs) and a hammer for deterrent and persuasion.
In the console I have tylenol, pepto bismol, Tums, cell phone lighter adapter and cord and a drink holder. Because there is no cell service up there I have an old fashioned atlas in the back seat. I also have a strategically hidden extra set of keys and, like before, will rent a satellite phone for a month.

To go into Canada I have to pre-register 72 hours out and upload Covid vaccine info and get approved according to their website.

Like the 1st trip, I have a pretty aggressive driving schedule at first, and have made advance hotel reservations going north, nothing coming south yet-last time I slept in the car.
July 20 Leave Louisville and drive to St CLoud, MN (about 800 miles)
July 21 Leave St CLoud, and drive to Regina, SK (about 750 miles)
July 22 Leave Regina and drive to Edmonton (about 500 miles). The Western Mopar Madness show is having a meet and greet at a local steakhouse that I want to get to.
July 23 and 24-Western Mopar Madness show. That night I will move the purple Hemi Superbird to the showroom at Leduc Chrysler, and park the ramp truck on their lot somewhere.
July 25 leave Edmonton and drive to Ft Nelson BC-about 600 miles I think
July 26, leave Ft Nelson and drive to Yukon Territory and on to SKagway Alaska, spending night in Skagway if I can cross customs and return. That's where I got arrested the 1st time for calling a customs agent a moron when he called the Superbird a Superbee, so I may reconsider that.
At this point I stopped making hotel reservations so I can drive a little more slowly and see a bit more. Hope to get home the 1st of August

Sorry for the long-winded story.
Like last trip, once it is going  I will try to post daily updates.
See you at Carlisle!
Bob J-here's a little picture I grabbed off the internet to show you the trip

sounds like its going to be  another awesome adventure !!  looking forward to reading & seeing updates & pictures & stuff  :yesnod: :cheers: :popcrn: :popcrn:

:yesnod:       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNJPPX8G0D8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoH8Ezh3u8s
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

aerolith

You lucky, lucky MAN!

I have never been anywhere in a Superbird myself, its one thing that has evaded me for 40 years!

To drive across America and Canada in such an iconic car is truly awesome... :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

But (one day) if my numbers come up I will join you, or whom ever else does this in a HEMI Daytona lol...

To keep my Carbon footprint at an acceptable level I haven't driven a Mopar for over ten years...

(We only go out once a week a trip of 10 miles in an eco Jap car... :slap: :smilielol: :eek2:)
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Quote from: aerolith on July 01, 2022, 09:43:16 AM
You lucky, lucky MAN!

Safe trip and enjoy every mile you lucky, lucky MAN, oops already said that lol... :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

Double post and just to say it would be 2.76 gears on my budget lol... :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

England 1984, 'the Brighton run' 60 (100km) miles from London town (Fulham)
Now that's a proper trip lol... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

dreamcatcher

Quote from: aerolith on March 27, 2022, 01:12:38 PM
Cripes, the USofA is a BIG place...

Flown across it many times at 650mph, that was a looong trip even by AIR!
Yep long! I worked out of Prudhoe Bay on the North Slope for almost 30 years. I flew up and back every two weeks. Usually from Kansas City. I was in the air on 911. That was the longest trip ever. Alaska is a Beautiful state!
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 426HemiChick on March 25, 2022, 10:26:51 AM
Hi Bob,                 25 March 2022

You and Ryan should have a great time together. Enjoy, God Bless.

Best Always

What, No pics of the Jack Russell ?

taxspeaker

Trip started today with an issue-blew power steering return hose loading on trailer. Fixed it.

Then, because crawling under car is such a pain, I bought $80 worth of those over the tire tie downs at Carlisle and fought them all day. Got to hotel and replaced them with regular tie downs after losing 4 hours to stops for over the tire crap.

Made only 520 miles today, no other issues.glad I left a day early. For some reason my laptop is blocked from DC website  so my office is posting updates and pictures on Facebook for Jennings wing cars.

I am driving purple ramp truck with purple bird on it and pulling trailer with white bird on it to edmonton-arriving Friday. Then leaving truck and purple car and trailer there and driving white bird on to alaska.

3 go pros are mounted on white bird and 1 on ramp truck, all wired for sound, so hoping for good pictures. Nothing worth saving today in indiana, Illinois or Wisconsin except some lady giving me the finger near Chicago!

aerolith

Good Luck tax-speaking dude! :2thumbs:

You only live once and some get to live it with a 'Wing Car'... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 02, 2022, 10:48:32 AM
Quote from: 426HemiChick on March 25, 2022, 10:26:51 AM
Hi Bob,                 25 March 2022

You and Ryan should have a great time together. Enjoy, God Bless.

Best Always

What, No pics of the Jack Russell ?

Hi Miss Cuda,          21 July 2022

Are you sure you posted in the correct thread?

Hi Bob,           21 July 2022

Seems like you're having a great adventure. Wish we were along. Wouldn't be of much help; can no longer crawl around under cars.

Take Care, Stay Safe and God Bless

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,               24 July 2022

Hope the trip is progressing well. Haven't seen any posts on your progress. Think you mentioned updates are on your YouTube channel. Unfortunately, our old wind-up PC is no longer recognized by YouTube. Please take care and have a great time.

All is well here though we are expecting a cold spell this week. Supposed to get down to 98 during the day with a nighttime low of 83. Got my woolies out just for the occasion.

Best Always

Christine

taxspeaker

Thanks Christine for asking. I finished the fantastic car show at western mopar madness in edmonton alberta about an hour ago. Got to run the purple hemi bird down quarter mile yesterday too.
Leaving 5:30 am for Ft nelson, BC for tomorrow, then on to yukon on Tuesday. Several minor mechanical issues all solved. One moose encounter but no wreck or jackknife.

Met with several old friends-cody Krueger, Bob with the daytona. My Saskatoon daytona buddy and saw some really cool cars. 2,000 miles done, 2,000 more to go north I think.
Car has another gas leak at fill up. Watching it for worse. Hope it is not splitting again like 5 years ago in the same place.
Bob
Bob

b5blue

taxspeaker

Really, really bad roads in northern alberta. Lost caliper bolt, tailpipe chrome extension (saved it), negative coil terminal nutvibrated loose-killing power ( took a while to find that). Now in ft nelson alberta fixing caliper and exhaust on side of road.
Hope to be heading north again within the hour.

Weather fine, 1 roadside so far. Lots of gravel and slides ahead for 30 kilometers.
Need a good meal-toad river lodge is next stop (hopefully)

Dave Kanofsky

Yikes!  Good luck and be safe!  :2thumbs: :cheers:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)