News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here we go again

Started by taxspeaker, March 19, 2022, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdflu

Geez Bob! Can't wait to see pic's!  :o

PettyMower

This alone is worth the trip.
Safe travels, Bob!

taxspeaker

Crossed into alaska 2am edt. A day of roadsides, dirt roads, detours, gravel, bears, moose, lots of bison and incredible views. Once fixed car ran rlawlessly all day, averaging 12.5-13mpg.

I am posting from cell and can't put up pictures. Live cameras recorded all days from 2 views, and lots of separate photos. I will see if Steve (tantop) can post for me like last time.

I'm taking all day tomorrow to sightsee and then beginning the long drive home Thursday
Bob

tan top

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 27, 2022, 12:59:23 AM
Crossed into alaska 2am edt. A day of roadsides, dirt roads, detours, gravel, bears, moose, lots of bison and incredible views. Once fixed car ran rlawlessly all day, averaging 12.5-13mpg.

I am posting from cell and can't put up pictures. Live cameras recorded all days from 2 views, and lots of separate photos. I will see if Steve (tantop) can post for me like last time.

I'm taking all day tomorrow to sightsee and then beginning the long drive home Thursday
Bob

:yesnod:    

Bob Sent me these to post here  :2thumbs:      :coolgleamA:
picture number 5  makes me want to stand on gas pedel :yesnod:    awesome pictures ! thanks for taking us along  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

B54SPEED

6T8440

Thanks Gentlemen for sharing. We drove through the Rockies - Edmonton to Vancouver in 82 and the mountain vistas were incredible.

The bugs on the windshield add an authentic touch ~ we all have that issue from time to time. :2thumbs:
Driving through the towns and neighbourhoods that are us.

426HemiChick

Quote from: tan top on July 27, 2022, 08:20:58 AM
Quote from: taxspeaker on July 27, 2022, 12:59:23 AM

Bob

:yesnod:    

Bob Sent me these to post here  :2thumbs:      :coolgleamA:
picture number 5  makes me want to stand on gas pedel :yesnod:    awesome pictures ! thanks for taking us along  :cheers:

Hi Steve, Bob, Ryan,              31 July 2022

Nice job of posting Bob's photos. In photo 6 there are two Indiana plates with custom messages. Interesting there are two Bird plates on that post and Bob's there. There's no way those were attached to that post by Bob . . . .  could this just be a "Coincidence?"

Thanks Bob, Steve and Ryan.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

taxspeaker

Actually I posted the top plate "sbird 70" on my 1st trip 5 years ago, and the bottom plate "birdnv" last week. Got home 2:30 this morning. 8,000 miles, a car show, a run down the strip, a jaunt up to alaska and 40 hours of film later, finally home. The old white bird ran great, leaks rain like a sieve to the point of danger, and looks like it was dipped in a mud bath and then sprayed with bugs.

But, it's on the lift and mechanically is fine, got 12.5 mpg and was dependable.

The purple bird has seen its last rain/sun. The uv rays are damaging the paint and after a good cleaning this week it will do indoor shows only, and be covered here in the shop.

The 1999 dodge ram 3500 ramp truck is a beast! 14.5 mpg the whole trip, never knew anything was on it and lowered the yukon bug population by thousands. It will also get physically cleaned t his week.

The 24 foot open trailer also was flawless. We mounted 4 winch ratchet tie downs, a front spare and some safety stuff and new tires before the trip.it is now for sale-ordered a new one with more features.

After I catch my breath and sleep will post some pictures.
BtW 2 trips to Alaska in a Superbird is enough!
Bob

Mytur Binsdirti

69bronzeT5

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 24, 2022, 06:01:38 PM
Thanks Christine for asking. I finished the fantastic car show at western mopar madness in edmonton alberta about an hour ago. Got to run the purple hemi bird down quarter mile yesterday too.
Leaving 5:30 am for Ft nelson, BC for tomorrow, then on to yukon on Tuesday. Several minor mechanical issues all solved. One moose encounter but no wreck or jackknife.

Met with several old friends-cody Krueger, Bob with the daytona. My Saskatoon daytona buddy and saw some really cool cars. 2,000 miles done, 2,000 more to go north I think.
Car has another gas leak at fill up. Watching it for worse. Hope it is not splitting again like 5 years ago in the same place.
Bob
Bob

Was so good to see you my friend! Glad to hear the trip went great!   :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

taxspeaker

We are going to try to record a complete story of this year's trip today on video-not sure what the boys will do with it, but they want 2 or 3 different things and I just ramble, then they post it on YouTube

One of the neatest things on the entire trip was the 2 day car show stay for Western Mopar Madness in Edmonton, Alberta. We think we have hospitality here in the southern US-we don't know what hospitality is compared to the folks in Edmonton. What an incredible, friendly, appreciative group of people.

A short story-they wanted me to run the Purple Hemi Bird down the 1/4 mile, but first I had to pass a tech inspection. Figuring there was no way the car would pass (no roll bar, driveshaft loop or any other modern safety things) they decided to let me go anyway with a promise I would not keep my foot in it after the starting line. Vince Craig photographer snapped a picture of the crusty old Bird coming to the tree, and it is one of my favorite pictures of this legend. The rest of the story-well, I lit it up, staged and then, like the fat old fool I am, proceeded to redlight-clearly a Christmas tree malfunction.

I have kept a log of every day of the trip, but thought I would post my top 10 mechanical things learned in 2 trips from Indiana to Alaska and 1 from Indiana to Key West in this 1970 Superbird #177569.

1. Remove caliper bolts, re-install with locktite and torque to specs. They won't hold if just torqued to specs.-I lost 1 on each trip.
2. Consider leaving old points-based distributor system in the car. It works.
3. If going to Mopar electronic system, DO NOT mount control module on firewall-it gets too hot-mount it in a protected yet cooler area under the nose
4. Be prepared on the Mopar electronic distributor and carry an extra reluctor-I had to replace one-easy to do but hard to figure out.
5. The 50 year old parts don't break, but anything you replaced with "new and better" will
6. Duct tape, hoses, belts and ballast resistors-I carry a travel kit with me in the trunk at all times.
7. If you carry a set of ratchets and sockets, actually put them in the car instead of forgetting them in the truck. Lieing on the side of the road under the car with a pair of vise grips and an adjustable wrench is not fun, particularly when you are a well insulated, experienced individual. (fat and old)
8. Check and recheck tightness of every muffler clamp, hanger and nut.
9. Check lugnut tightness at every stop-I carry an extra 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 4" extension and both a 3/4" and 13/16" socket in the trunk on the cars now.
10. Don't let someone else check lugnuts if you still have old left-hand threads on drivers side.
11. Extra-carry a can of WIndex and paper towels-you will need them
12. Don't call customs officer a moron-this worked fine on the 2nd trip.

Postscript-my wife made me promise not to do this again and I agree. But, there are other trips and Quoddy Point Maine (easternmost part of US) is calling and heck, if you go that far, Newfoundland is in reach. I always wanted to drive to Dildo, NB anyway.

Bob

Dave Kanofsky

Awesome!  As always, thanks for sharing!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Birdflu

Great commentary Bob! I also love the pic of the Hemi on the starting line! I too have experienced the Christmas tree malfunction first hand!  :rofl: :smilielol:

472 R/T SE

Thanks for taking us along!

If I wasn't paralyzed, Idda done a few trips like this.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 25, 2022, 04:35:43 PM

Maybe Bob can take you along on the next adventure.
He could probably use someone to tell him how to do things better, lol .

472 R/T SE

Quote from: WINGIN IT on August 25, 2022, 06:11:17 PM

Seriously.  Am I like that?  Or are you just making fun of someone?
Cause I sure don't wanna come off like that.

When you sit by yourself for 24/7 days on end I might come off as jaded.  My issue.  
Do you have any suggestions for making me a better person, cause Id sure like to hear them.

You obviously think you have me figured out.  You have no f idea.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 25, 2022, 09:09:42 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on August 25, 2022, 06:11:17 PM

Seriously.  Am I like that?  Or are you just making fun of someone?
Cause I sure don't wanna come off like that.

When you sit by yourself for 24/7 days on end I might come off as jaded.  My issue.  
Do you have any suggestions for making me a better person, cause Id sure like to hear them.

You obviously think you have me figured out.  You have no f idea.

Hi 472 R/T SE,                  27 August 2022

I now understand that you are paralyzed and your mobility is limited. I feel for you and don't understand what WINGIN IT was trying to say with his posted comment. Maybe he thought the remark was funny. We don't know.

Some folks read things into what others write. Difficult to say if this was on purpose or an unintended faux pa.

Don't take it personally even though it was directed at you. We'd give WINGIN IT time to rethink what he posted. If he's a straight shooter, he will man up to it and fix it.

I've done a lot of shit in my life. I've retaliated when someone screwed with me. I have no regrets for those incidents since I did not initiate them. I do not allow anyone to use my Girlfriend or me as door mats. The old saying: "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord." is commendable, but I also know the Lord is busy so I try to help him by taking care of things myself . . . . and I don't have to wait to see the results.

We hope that whatever your disability problem is, it is fixable and temporary. God Bless.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

taxspeaker

Well said Christine.

I know WinginIt personally and I think this may have been an example of writing something that came out wrong and not realizing how it was interpreted until the light of day and other input.
Bob

426HemiChick

Quote from: taxspeaker on August 27, 2022, 09:01:07 AM
Well said Christine.

I know WinginIt personally and I think this may have been an example of writing something that came out wrong and not realizing how it was interpreted until the light of day and other input.
Bob

Thanks Bob,            27 August 2022

Think you nailed it. Thanks for stepping in. It's easy to think of something, then write about it and not realize how it will be interpreted. Fallen prey to that myself.

Hope all is well and you are having fun with your Treasures.

God Bless Amigo.

Best Always

Christine

WINGIN IT

Just seeing these replies now.
472 S/E.  I had no  malicious intent.  And did not realize that you would interpret in a hurtful way. 
So I apologize , that was not my intent.
Was actually trying to convey a way that maybe Bob would take you on a expedition as a co-pilot, and like anyone (including me) , it's easy to tell someone else what to do better, or they are doing it wrong, ie. being a backseat driver.  That was all.
And while I cannot know how you feel being paralyzed , I have my own health conditions to deal with, and live vicariously through those on the board including Bob.

472 R/T SE

"how to do things better" is what set me off.  To me it was like wtf is that supposed to mean thinking you thought of me as a know it all or something.  And thats what got me.  I pipe in when I think I'm sure of something and if I'm not I'm the first to admit to being wrong.  I hate people spouting off wrong info.

Also I seen a post where someone was wanting to trade their purple Challenger for a wing car.  That '71 purple Challenger all of sudden became my screen saver replacing the Oreo cookie '71 cuda.  That day I got online your car  was still in my window and I came here and was like, NO WAY.  I love his ride and hes talking shit...typical for me.

I've had so much bad luck.  Everytime i turn around something happens that affects me. 
Ive seen men die and maimed on the my jobs.
Thats my biggest issue.  About every 2-3 days I'm dreaming or laying in bed watching 2 iron workers running mid air from 5 stories up falling to their death.  Or the co worker getting underneath a crane boom section to beat pins out and having the section fall on him.  I just knew he was dead.  Or getting out of the backseat of a car and having the driver fall back into me cause someone put a knife to his throat killing him.  Or...  I could fill this post up, recently divorced now, trying to do this on my own, etc.

So maybe I'm on the defensive all the time.  I don't mean to, its just I'm constantly preparing myself for the shoe to drop.  I should have messaged you this but figure this will help explain why 472 is the way he is?
I finally set up an appt @ the local mental health place, today.  I'm trying.

Now, car show raffles...forget about it.  Im winning everything needing help to carry it all, lol.

Please accept my apologies sir.  I was in the wrong.  These f computers, texting are so hard to convey.

I'm out...

426HemiChick

Hi Mike,            02 September 2022

Thanks for the post Mike, I'm sure Joe will understand.

God Bless, Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

WINGIN IT

Really no need to apologize Mike but appreciate the reply.
Sent you a message.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

6T8440

Thanks for the link Steve ~  :cheers: :popcrn:
Driving through the towns and neighbourhoods that are us.