News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good God, have any of you sold a vintage Mopar lately?

Started by ramairthree, June 01, 2022, 10:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

The first one went pretty well.  Looked at a bunch of current sales, for similar condition, set a minimum I would take and what the max value would be in my head, put it for sale.

A couple of dozen people with absolutely ridiculous questions, no concept whatsoever.

Then one guy out of dozens, calls, comes by, offer right in the middle, pulls out the cash, done deal.

The other one I thought would sell faster and for more-
explicitly dozens of pictures, fender tag, VIN, accurately described as a running project-
Twice as many calls.

All like-
Hey, um, is it the original engine?  No, it says all original drivetrain except engine.

a dozen other calls asking same question.

Um, why does it not come with the original engine?
Because it would be selling for twice as much if I had it.
Huh?

Is it ready for a car show?
It's a drivable project.
So I could drive it to a car show?
If it was ready for a car show I would be asking four times as much.
Oh no... that's not right.
I have seen every ad and sale for the past year- Oh yes.

Does the AC work?
No.
Its a running project.
So, does it need anything?

This looks perfect for a daily driver.
It's a drivable project, not a daily driver.
Well, I'm really looking for a daily driver.
You think your going to find a daily driver vintage Mopar true muscle car VIN for under 10K?
Well....why not?

Hey is it ... and ... and if..
which would be suitable at three times the price questions.

Holy crap it is painful.

Let alone all the crap trade offers when it said no trade.

And this is not dumb kids.

AKcharger

" Ah, would you trade for my  Jet ski and this EBT card?"

ramairthree

Well, no jet ski, but a lot of  beat old ATVs and motorcycles.

I still can't get over people genuinely think they are going to get even a second gen Roadrunner/third gen Charger numbers matching daily driver let alone in car show condition for under 10K.

How long has it been since you could do that?

AKcharger

Id say it really depends on where you advertise. If you advertise here or MOPARTSĀ® you will not get as many responses but the ones you do will be intelligent. if you advertise on Facebook or craigslist then people high on meth and stuff start calling

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

RallyeMike

Quote from: AKcharger on June 01, 2022, 11:10:09 AM
if you advertise on Facebook or craigslist then people high on meth and stuff start calling

... and the fishers who are contacting 500 people a day with low ball offers, or the multitudes of various scammers, the folks with opinions who are not really at all interested, the photo collectors, etc. etc. etc. 

It's not all bad though: I sold my D100 shortbed fairly recently and ended up meeting a couple of cool mopar folks that I still stay in contract with, made some contacts whereby I sold some other stuff, and the buyer ended up being a really nice local guy with young kids. It's all good  :icon_smile_cool:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ramairthree

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 01, 2022, 11:15:08 AM
What are you trying to sell ?

Not trying to sell it here.  Was more commenting on the crazy expectations for under 10K.
Stuff like-
"Could I drive it back to..."
It's basically a 50 year old drivable project with working brakes and lights and stuff but you want to drive it eight hours by highway?

Nothing special, the one left is a '74 Roadunner project.
Runs and drives with a junkyard pulled 318 - I take it out 10-20 miles once or twice a month.
Needs upholstery,  headliner, good engine, good paint, etc.
Has gotten tires, battery, wiper motor, washer resovoir, partial new harness, spoiler, gas tank, exhaust, dash cap, etc.

It was only a 318 car, but had really cool options like black with red stripes, sunroof, AC, discs, and I think the half vinyl top with the sunroof.  It was already primered and shaved when I got it. It just has an amateur driveway paint job.

I have one car finally to perfection, am barely keeping another a fun driver, every couple of months it needs something, and had a few projects I had saved from being crushed, parted out, etc. that I got to the drivable and play with stage but never finished. 

I essentially saved it and got it running because it had a rare option.

ramairthree

We talk bad about Millennials and Zoomers.

First sale was to a millennial.

Second a Zoomer.  About to turn 20.
Calls, makes offer, shows up with truck, cash, when he said he would be here.

Truck bumper with F... Biden sticker.  Has a girl friend.  Looks like a guy.  Our country has hope.

I will miss it.

I miss even more that excitement of a young guy with an old muscle car.

AKcharger

Oh sun roof car!!

Quote from: ramairthree on June 01, 2022, 08:08:37 PM
...Truck bumper with F... Biden sticker.  Has a girl friend.  Looks like a guy.  Our country has hope...
:2thumbs: :cheers:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green